If it goes there, im moving back. Even if i have to walk the 400 miles. :rofl:

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
From NASA Website
Shuttle Enterprise, the first orbiter built, will move from the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Virginia to the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York.
The Udvar-Hazy Center will become the new home for shuttle Discovery, which retired after completing its 39th mission in March.
Shuttle Endeavour, which is preparing for its final flight at the end of the month will go to the California Science Center in Los Angeles.
Shuttle Atlantis, which will fly the last planned shuttle mission in June, will be displayed at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor’s Complex in Florida.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/shuttle_station/features/shuttle_homes.html

This makes since, They will land the two remaining shuttles at their resting place, easy, cheap, minimizes movement on the ground.

Last edited:

Chupacabra

Reaction score
Even though JSC probably should have had an orbiter (I won't say deserved simply because of their treatment of the Saturn V, but that is the museum's issue) I cannot believe how immature the senators from the losing states are behaving. It was a simple competition, no need to complain whenever you lose. It just makes you look unprofessional, and you still won't get an orbiter.

Ark

Reaction score
Even though JSC probably should have had an orbiter (I won't say deserved simply because of their treatment of the Saturn V, but that is the museum's issue) I cannot believe how immature the senators from the losing states are behaving. It was a simple competition, no need to complain whenever you lose. It just makes you look unprofessional, and you still won't get an orbiter.

I suppose the last Shuttle flight could always have an "accident" which "forces" the crew to abort to a landing strip conveniently close to Huston. :lol:

Chupacabra

Reaction score
Haha, indeed I keep laughing at the prospect of Endeavor deciding to land at LAX during STS-134.

jimblah

Reaction score
I'd like one here:

At McClellan AFB here in Sac. It's been mothballed too. Unfortunately North Highlands is a bad area. The shuttle's rims would probably get jacked and no telling what else would come up missing. The radio/radar/mp3 MFD would probably be first to go. :lol:

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
That isn't funny.. It's horrifying. The thought of careless young or shifty adults trying to get pieces to sell within touching distance of any of these is enough to make me sick.

Everyone is poo pooing that they cant drive for two hours and see a shuttle. Anyone cares what will actually HAPPEN to the shuttles?

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

I have to say their ignorance is stunning. Enterprise is just as good as the other shuttles and was planned to be converted into a space operating Orbiter. If the consensus of that city is that they don't want a "Fake" shuttle then instead of there it ought to go to Barksdale or another, grateful location.

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
The shuttle is a machine, just a piece of material like a car is a piece of material. It doesn't have a soul or a brain. It is a tool, it served its purpose, and that is that. I live in Houston, but I won't lose any sleep over where an inanimate object is located.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
I have to say their ignorance is stunning. Enterprise is just as good as the other shuttles and was planned to be converted into a space operating Orbiter. If the consensus of that city is that they don't want a "Fake" shuttle then instead of there it ought to go to Barksdale or another, grateful location.

Nashville!

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
It really does not matter where it goes as long as the population is willing to pay to have it protected and doesn't consider it "fake"

Again it REALLY needs to be mentioned just at risk these pieces of history are. Do you seriously think a punk on a dare wont throw something at it or someone scratch something off when guards aren't looking? Lack of care and these can end up like the Buran.

jimblah

Reaction score
The Shuttle is more than a machine.

In the past it would no doubt be considered Holy and a Chariot of the Gods. I remember when the Spruce Goose was in Long Beach next to the Queen Mary. People lined up to see it; I was one of them. The Shuttle doesn't just represent the passion of one man, it represents the passion of a nation; through international cooperation, the passion of the world. Send one to Paris. The French gave us Lady Liberty...

Schmidtrock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The shuttle is a machine, just a piece of material like a car is a piece of material. It doesn't have a soul or a brain. It is a tool, it served its purpose, and that is that. I live in Houston, but I won't lose any sleep over where an inanimate object is located.

While I understand this sentiment completely, it is rather austere. Houston has been the beating heart of manned missions for NASA's entirety basically, and most certainly the life of the STS program. I still view this as a completely ridiculous, and unbelievable lack of choice. My thoughts in the matter are that large and copious amounts of money greased palms were involved in this fiasco. C'est la vie.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
In the past it would no doubt be considered Holy and a Chariot of the Gods. I remember when the Spruce Goose was in Long Beach next to the Queen Mary. People lined up to see it; I was one of them. The Shuttle doesn't just represent the passion of one man, it represents the passion of a nation; through international cooperation, the passion of the world. Send one to Paris. The French gave us Lady Liberty...

No offense but the shuttle represents one of the great achievements of the United States. I don't want any going to Paris. There was some cooperation but mainly on features such as the RMS.

The Spruce Goose and the Queen Mary are both extremely tough craft. They could take rather extreme damage and still be presentable.

The shuttle on the other hand is completely sensitive. Damage from jerks and bad handling would stand out like a sore thumb when compared to the operational cosmetic damage. The shuttle is a source of national pride and I worry that those withe no pride have too easy access in my opinion. Any place where a person can get close enough to touch ought to be guarded at all times.

jimblah

Reaction score
If not Paris next to the Louvre, How about So Cal?

The Southern California Aerospace Industry contributed heavily to the Shuttle's development and fabrication. The infrastructure to contribute to the next stage of our manned spaceflight program still exists there. A shuttle would inspire and motivate more than just the industry itself.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
That's why Endeavour is going to the California Science Center.

jimblah

Reaction score
I did not know that we were getting one...

I'll go to L.A. to see Endeavor! I'll tell my brother that I'm there to see my new niece. :lol:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well, you know what, I have in my living room one of the shuttles that has never been built. Doesn't take any space and I dare you, I double dare you, to try and damage it.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Do we have to go over this again? It is such a pity that some people forget the passion and sentimentality connected to these 'inanimate objects'. I mean, the HMS Victory is an 'inanimate object'. It's totally useless and it just sits in drydock... they should really take it somewhere and bash it to pieces, nobody needs such a terribly outmoded piece of junk anymore. Cut it up for firewood maybe. Or maybe find a way to carve it into something useful, like furniture or toothpicks... :rolleyes:

These shuttles are inanimate objects that, btw, have/had a power output while they were operating of more than that of your typical municipal powerplant...

Last edited: