News Space Launch System News

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Have you accounted for the heavy-duty steel frame they use to transport the stage, as well as the wheels and drive units to move the whole assembly onto and off of the barge? ;)

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Have you accounted for the heavy-duty steel frame they use to transport the stage, as well as the wheels and drive units to move the whole assembly onto and off of the barge? ;)
No I havn't :)
That might be the source of that big number.
If so: Never trust TV (or online video) subtitles ;)

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
No I havn't :)
That might be the source of that big number.
If so: Never trust TV (or online video) subtitles ;)

After the fiasco that was the New Horizon live event, I wouldn't take anything NASA put out as serious.

For crying out loud, SLS is still Saturn V-colored when it has been established that it will still have that rusty external tank color.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, that's one way to get the rats out of a building.:thumbup:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
...while watching the "Enlarge your Pe...gasus size" video I wondered:
Why is that core stage so much havier than the ET? Is it mainly the (4) Engines?
136,000 lbs vs. 800,000 lbs is a huge difference!

If i recall correctly, one of the factors is that the core will use a less sophisticated (and arguably heavier) aluminium alloy, to save costs.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Well, I'd say that the "vertical" configuration also puts more stress on the first stage

IMHO, the contrary is true; a sidemount configuration as in the STS poses asymmetrical loads in the ET, that are source of structural stress (IMHO, i repeat).

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
October 22, 2015
RELEASE 15-210

NASA Completes Critical Design Review for Space Launch System

For the first time in almost 40 years, a NASA human-rated rocket has completed all steps needed to clear a critical design review (CDR). The agency’s Space Launch System (SLS) is the first vehicle designed to meet the challenges of the journey to Mars and the first exploration class rocket since the Saturn V.

SLS will be the most powerful rocket ever built and, with the agency’s Orion spacecraft, will launch America into a new era of exploration to destinations beyond Earth’s orbit. The CDR provided a final look at the design and development of the integrated launch vehicle before full-scale fabrication begins.

“We’ve nailed down the design of SLS, we’ve successfully completed the first round of testing of the rocket’s engines and boosters, and all the major components for the first flight are now in production,” said Bill Hill, deputy associate administrator of NASA’s Exploration Systems Development Division. “There have been challenges, and there will be more ahead, but this review gives us confidence that we are on the right track for the first flight of SLS and using it to extend permanent human presence into deep space.”

The CDR examined the first of three configurations planned for the rocket, referred to as SLS Block 1. The Block I configuration will have a minimum 70-metric-ton (77-ton) lift capability and be powered by twin boosters and four RS-25 engines. The next planned upgrade of SLS, Block 1B, would use a more powerful exploration upper stage for more ambitious missions with a 105-metric-ton (115-ton) lift capacity. Block 2 will add a pair of advanced solid or liquid propellant boosters to provide a 130-metric-ton (143-ton) lift capacity. In each configuration, SLS will continue to use the same core stage and four RS-25 engines.

The SLS Program completed the review in July, in conjunction with a separate review by the Standing Review Board, which is composed of seasoned experts from NASA and industry who are independent of the program. Throughout the course of 11 weeks, 13 teams – made up of senior engineers and aerospace experts across the agency and industry – reviewed more than 1,000 SLS documents and more than 150 GB of data as part of the comprehensive assessment process at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, where SLS is managed for the agency.

The Standing Review Board reviewed and assessed the program’s readiness and confirmed the technical effort is on track to complete system development and meet performance requirements on budget and on schedule.

The program briefed the results of the review in October to the Agency Program Management Council, led by NASA Associate Administrator Robert Lightfoot, as the final step in the CDR process.

This review is the last of four reviews that examine concepts and designs. The next step for the program is design certification, which will take place in 2017 after manufacturing, integration and testing is complete. The design certification will compare the actual final product to the rocket’s design. The final review, the flight readiness review, will take place just prior to the 2018 flight readiness date.

“This is a major step in the design and readiness of SLS,” said John Honeycutt, SLS program manager. “Our team has worked extremely hard, and we are moving forward with building this rocket. We are qualifying hardware, building structural test articles, and making real progress.”

Critical design reviews for the individual SLS elements of the core stage, boosters and engines were completed successfully as part of this milestone. Also as part of the CDR, the program concluded the core stage of the rocket and Launch Vehicle Stage Adapter will remain orange, the natural color of the insulation that will cover those elements, instead of painted white. The core stage, towering more than 200 feet tall and with a diameter of 27.6 feet, will carry cryogenic liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen fuel for the rocket’s four RS-25 engines.

The integrated spacecraft and payloads are nearing completion on their CDR. Flight hardware currently is in production for every element. NASA is preparing for a second qualification test for the SLS boosters, and structural test articles for the core and upper stages of the rocket are either completed or currently in production. NASA also recently completed the first developmental test series on the RS-25 engines.

Future program reviews will focus on SLS integration and flight readiness. For more information on SLS, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/sls

15-210-sls.jpg

sls_block_1_expanded_view_orion.jpg

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Hate to be cynical, but the timing on this is really bad. They'll get to the point where they can start making hardware, and the Presidency will change, and SLS will get scrapped, just like Constellation. :dry:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hate to be cynical, but the timing on this is really bad. They'll get to the point where they can start making hardware, and the Presidency will change, and SLS will get scrapped, just like Constellation. :dry:
Doubt it. CxP was cancelled long before any sub-projects (MPCV/CEV, CLV and CaLV) ever got anywhere near CDR. CDR is the the final design review which signs off on everything. Also CxP had no real stuff in production before cancellation. Ares-1X used entirely SSP assets. Everything now is in production.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
*spits out coffee*

NASA is finally (publicly) acknowledging that SLS will NOT be painted like Saturn! Finally!

Though why is the LVSA also ET red...

Last edited:

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
IMHO, SLS looks distinct enough from Ares that that shouldn't really be an issue.

I think hope the vast majority of people can agree that Ares IV was a pretty good solid idea, while Ares I was the :censored: of the whole Constellation program.

Considering that SLS looks like the former and nothing like the latter...

;)

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah. Now it is painted as a Formula One car. :blink:

Won't painting a pattern on the SRB segments kinda make refurb difficult? Or do the segments actually have to stack in a particular orientation and order?

If it is ever built, I expect the SRBs will come in any color you like, so long as it is pure white.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Won't painting a pattern on the SRB segments kinda make refurb difficult? Or do the segments actually have to stack in a particular orientation and order?

If it is ever built, I expect the SRBs will come in any color you like, so long as it is pure white.
The SLS SRBs are expendable and not reused like the STS SRBs. Once the current inventory of STS SRB equipment is used up, they'll transition to the Advanced Boosters. Whether they'll be solids or liquids is unknown at this time as that point is perhaps a decades or more in the future (enough segments for 10 SRMs or 5 flight sets, 2 SRMs/flight). NASA has even gotten rid of the two SRB Retrieval ships, R/V Freedom Star and R/V Liberty Star.

Last edited:

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com

I have thought a lot about that too (more like worried). I do not believe that there is any way to save SLS and Orion from the future president's wrath?

And one more thing, ORANGE?!?!?!?! It looked great before :facepalm: . Along with the scrapping of SLS, looks more like Ares V now anyway.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's a tank with insulation for the cryogenic liquid hydrogen, unpainted to save mass.

The only reason it was painted white and black at first was to avoid the initial confusion with Ares after its cancellation (and remind people of the Saturn V).

Last edited:

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
Still don't know why the LVSA is covered in insulation too, but this is something I'm gonna try to look into.

Nonetheless, I have a full set of images of smexy SLS images to download now.