Space Camp

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Today I just returned from Space Camp's Advanced Space Academy program in Huntsville, Alabama. It was AWESOME! Some of my teammates got to SCUBA dive like astronauts do to train. I got to do EVAs in a harness trainer and a simulated Canada Arm. We flew a 6 hour shuttle mission in a simulator with a full cargo bay and sattelite.

Has anyone else been to this museum or camp?

I'll post photos later.

Mantis

Reaction score
Sounds like a load of fun. I've never been there as a camper but I've seen the facilities there at at the Cosmodrome Space Museum/Science Center is Laval, Quebec. I was really impressed with the equipment and the realism of the place. I wish they had that place when I was young enough to have attended!:thumbup:

Nazban

Reaction score
Ive been there once, in 2009 but that time is was in the Space Academy itself(too young for advanced space academy), i got to do the shuttle missions, and looots of other cool stuff(but no scuba :( )
still it was loads of fun!!

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
i got to do the shuttle missions, and looots of other cool stuff(but no scuba :( )
still it was loads of fun!!
I didn't get to SCUBA dive because they don't allow people with any history of asthma to dive. It doesn't really make sense because I dove before somewhere else, and my asthma is caused by pollen, so I probably have a lower chance of asthma problems while diving.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I didn't get to SCUBA dive because they don't allow people with any history of asthma to dive. It doesn't really make sense because I dove before somewhere else, and my asthma is caused by pollen, so I probably have a lower chance of asthma problems while diving.

Better safe than sorry, as the old saying goes...

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Better safe than sorry, as the old saying goes...
Of course. The major risk with diving and asthma is the bronchioli closing while at depth, which would cause the alveoli to expand on ascent resulting in barotrauma and embolism. However, I feel the reason the Space Camp people are so strict on dive rules is insurance and liability.

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
IMHO, as someone who also has a history of asthma, it is the individual, who knows their asthma better than anyone else, who is most qualified to judge what they can or cannot do, given their condition, how bad their asthma is, and how well their techniques for dealing with an attack work. More so than any doctor.

That being said, I fully understand the need for such a rule.

But back to Space Camp. I must say I'm a bit jealous; I'd love to go to Space Camp, but I'm a 55yr old man, and sitting around with what I assume would be mostly teens playing 'space' seems a bit 'unseemly'.:shifty:

Be nice if they had an, "Orbinauts Only Day".

Thinking about it though, I wonder: are there many adults there for themselves, or having brought their kids?

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
But back to Space Camp. I must say I'm a bit jealous; I'd love to go to Space Camp, but I'm a 55yr old man, and sitting around with what I assume would be mostly teens playing 'space' seems a bit 'unseemly'.:shifty:
http://www.spacecamp.com/adult

IMHO, as someone who also has a history of asthma, it is the individual, who knows their asthma better than anyone else, who is most qualified to judge what they can or cannot do, given their condition, how bad their asthma is, and how well their techniques for dealing with an attack work. More so than any doctor.
I totally agree with this, but the person should also be fully educated on potential risks. And employers should be allowed to deny people with medical conditions, even though I disagree with policies that stop me from living my dreams because of asthma.

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score

Maybe a 55+ Space "Community" is in order?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
A space camp for adults would probably be an interesting treat. There's the NASCAR experience for wannabe racers, there's all these cooking thingys for wannabe chefs.
It'd be a niche market, but if the price were right I'd do it.

Ricovandijk

Reaction score
Space Expo in the Netherlands and Belgium

I saw about the camps on the internet yesterday. If it was not 4000NM from home, I would visit it! looks great!

But I did visit the Noordwijk space expo in the Netherlands a couple of years ago.
http://www.spaceexpo.nl/

It is a great way to learn and see space history, mockup station modules, a full size LEM, etc. Also as a complete surprise to me, I got a guided tour through the ESA-ESTEC complex, I saw the satellite testing facility and the ISS mockup for Andre Kuiper's training.

I can recommend it to anyone with interest in spaceflight!

I also visited the Belgium counterpart last year, quite a contrast!
The 'Kuifje to space' style exhibition was a great disappointment. They made me feel uncomfortable, all explanation was in a way like: yea we do spaceflight,.. but because you are just a visitor you don't understand these things anyway so let's not bother you with any complex details.

Over there I did have one exiting experience tough, There was one big room which looks allot like the space camp location. There was a full size space shuttle mockup. After a couple of minutes sitting in the pilot seat and getting comforable with the buttons and switches around me, we were told to get out of the simulator! because it was still in use for astronaut training! :cool: sorry! LOL
http://www.eurospacecenter.be/

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Here are only a few of my photos.

img0093h.jpg

Rocket Park

img0113hh.jpg

Space Shuttle Pathfinder

img0117bj.jpg

Me using the Canadarm to repair the Westar Satellite

img0150ko.jpg

V-2

img0178ce.jpg

LM Mockup

img0228k.jpg

Full Scale Saturn V replica

img0205sk.jpg

Orion replica

img0206lf.jpg

Orion interior

Nazban

Reaction score
Nice, i remember most of them, but i never saw the orion model and its interior:(
they must've put it up after i went, But nothing beats standing near the Full Scale Saturn V!!!

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
They have the Replica,we have the original lol.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
They have the Replica,we have the original lol.
They also have an original Saturn V there, it's laying down in a building right next to the upright replica. I tried to get photos of it, but instead I got pictures of parts of each stage, it's just so dang huge.

You can see photos of the restoration project here. http://www.spacecamp.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=106

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Nice, i remember most of them, but i never saw the orion model and its interior
they must've put it up after i went
It was in the building with the Saturn V. Was that finished when you went there?

Nazban

Reaction score
It was in the building with the Saturn V. Was that finished when you went there?

I went in 2009 fall, the saturn V was there(unforgettable!!), but we just saw the ares rockets there, there was a capsule mockup but just on the showcase, we werent allowed inside it :(
i got a pic of my team in the building with the Saturn V(kept forgetting its name), ill try and upload it later :)

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
If anyone is curious what the EMU I'm wearing in the Canadarm photo was made from, it was white rubber rain boots, a white fabric jumpsuit with elastic cuffs, an American Football helmet without the mask (and covered in fabric with a plexiglass faceplate added), wool inner gloves, the the outer gloves were LaCrosse gloves.

Nazban, my team had a photo in the same place. When I went to Academy and Camp, we were in front of Pathfinder.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
DanM: Hello from Huntsville! I'm currently interning at NASA Marshall this summer and I'm also a Space Camp ASA alum. :) The 6 hour extended mission was easily my favorite part of the week... if I recall correctly I died of a simulated heart attack while on orbit. :)

I was just over at the US Space and Rocket Center not too long ago for a visit to the IMAX there. It brought back lots of nice memories. Keep all the photos you took, they're one of a kind. :)