Launch News Soyuz MS-10 Orbit Failure (developing story)

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Hi! It's a long time since I have appeared here (though NSF/Twitter members should easily found me still hopping around :hailprobe:), and months since I have took Orbiter for a spin.

Here's a simulation scenario of the accident using igel et al. 's Soyuz v1.0 add-on (so it will only work in Orbiter 2010 P1, not 2016). Except for the simulated failure in the scenario being the Block D booster engine failing and then prematurely detaching (as opposed to the current leading hypothesis of a separation failure and subsequent collision with the Block A core stage - igel, can the current add-on simulate a stage separation failure?), the results were really close to what really happened.

Here's the scenario itself:
Code:
BEGIN_DESC
Soyuz MS-10 abort on 11 October 2018.
END_DESC

BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
  System Spaceports\Sol
  Context B-1
  Date MJD 58402.359896
END_ENVIRONMENT

BEGIN_FOCUS
Ship Launchpad
END_FOCUS

BEGIN_CAMERA
  TARGET Soyuz
  MODE Extern
  POS 2.68 -0.18 -99.95
  TRACKMODE Ground Earth
  GROUNDLOCATION 63.34184 45.92241 2.67
  FOV 60.00
END_CAMERA

BEGIN_SHIPS
Mission:Soyuz\MyMission
  STATUS Landed Earth
  MISSION MS10Abort
  TEST testMS10Abort.kml 300 1
END
Soyuz:Soyuz\Soyuz
  STATUS Landed Earth
  SUBTYPE TMA-Flight
  RELIABILITY 0
  CAMERA 1
  SZ_SA 0 0.000000 0 0
  SZ_ORB 1 0 2 1 0 0 1 60.000000 0 0
END
FairingTmaYPlus:Soyuz\Generic
  STATUS Landed Earth
  SUBTYPE FairingTmaYPlus
END
FairingTmaYMinus:Soyuz\Generic
  STATUS Landed Earth
  SUBTYPE FairingTmaYMinus
END
LES:Soyuz\Generic
  STATUS Landed Earth
  SUBTYPE LES
END
Skirt1:Soyuz\Generic
  STATUS Landed Earth
  SUBTYPE SkirtI1
END
Skirt2:Soyuz\Generic
  STATUS Landed Earth
  SUBTYPE SkirtI2
END
Skirt3:Soyuz\Generic
  STATUS Landed Earth
  SUBTYPE SkirtI3
END
BlockI:Soyuz\BlockI
  STATUS Landed Earth
  PAYLOAD Soyuz
  FAIRING1 FairingTmaYPlus
  FAIRING2 FairingTmaYMinus
  LES LES  
  SKIRT1 Skirt1
  SKIRT2 Skirt2
  SKIRT3 Skirt3
END
BlockB:Soyuz\BlockBD
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
END
BlockV:Soyuz\BlockBD
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
END
BlockG:Soyuz\BlockBD
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
END
BlockD:Soyuz\BlockBD
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
  TIMERS_1T_ME M_FAIL_ACT:119.0, 
  FAILURES 1 1 0 0 0
END
BlockA:Soyuz\BlockA
  PAYLOAD BlockI
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
  BLOCK_B BlockB
  BLOCK_V BlockV
  BLOCK_G BlockG
  BLOCK_D BlockD
END
Launchpad:Soyuz\Launchpad
 STATUS Landed Earth
 LAUNCHER BlockA
END
END_SHIPS

Here's the "MySoyuzMissions.cfg" file that I created in a custom MyMission folder in \Config\Vessels\Soyuz:

Code:
TMA = Soyuz.kml,ORBITAL,SLaunchpadST,SLaunchpadLaunchSeq,SBlockAST,SBlockAFltSeq,SBlockAEndSeq,SBlockAPitch,SBlockBDST,SBlockIPA,SBlockIFltSeq,SBlockIStartSeq,SBlockIEndSeq,SBlockIPitch,IBlockIAbort
MS10Abort  = TMA, 58402.361285,202,240,51.67,   B1-S,LaunchSeq1, Soyuz,FltSeq3st,EndSeq3st,PitchSoyuz, Soyuz,mAdSoyuz,FltSeq,StartSeqSZ,EndSeq,Pitch,1

Finally here's the custom MyMission.cfg file in \Config\Vessels\Soyuz:

Code:
ClassName = Mission
Module = Soyuz\Mission

NoReentryGlow = true
NoFocus = true
Hidden = true
NoAtmosphereWatch = true
Indestructible = true;

kmlSubdir=Soyuz                        ; subdirectory for kml files in the /_Orbiter_/GoogleEarth/ dir
kmlFile=(Current state).kml          ; backup kml file in case there is no Mision and not provided in Scenario 

MissionsFile=MySoyuzMissions.cfg

TestMode = false

It would be grateful if someone is interested in using Orbiter and the above scenario to make a video detailing the abort process. :tiphat:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
The graphics look familiar...

[ame="https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1051105479924047872"]Chris B - NSF on Twitter: "Unofficial visualization of Soyuz MS-10 being pulled away from the failing Soyuz FG via RDG traction motors on the fairing/shroud. Russian media claim the D booster on the first stage is the culprit for the off-nominal staging.

Investigation update expected by October 20.… https://t.co/EiCluSeL1B"[/ame]

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I like how that image is going around with zero credit to the addon maker or Orbiter... /s

Credits now added by yours truly. :thumbup:

[ame="https://twitter.com/Cosmic_Penguin/status/1051314362273558528"]Cosmic Penguin on Twitter: "This screenshot is from Dr. Martin Schweiger's Orbiter Space Flight Simulator (https://t.co/4D1h5kkJ9E), something I have played for years. ?The Soyuz add-on used is the Soyuz v1.0 by Nikita Vtyurin & Andrew Thielmann : https://t.co/aQjcl9kXr0… https://t.co/3JBw7w66Hm"[/ame]

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the image is a screencapture from an official ESA youTube video called "Soyuz launch sequence explained", in which Dr. Martin and Orbiter are credited at the end of the video.

==============

Oops. I think I am mistaken. Just did a quick review of said video and didn't see that specific image.

Last edited:

Thorsten

Reaction score
I like how that image is going around with zero credit to the addon maker or Orbiter...

Actually, while morally questionable, my understanding is that legally such credit is not required - the copyright of software which has the purpose to bring things on-screen does not extend to screen captures (think how often Microsoft could claim screenshots when the Windows desktop is visible...)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Actually, while morally questionable, my understanding is that legally such credit is not required - the copyright of software which has the purpose to bring things on-screen does not extend to screen captures (think how often Microsoft could claim screenshots when the Windows desktop is visible...)

Its not that easy, its not about the copyright of the software though. Its rather about your own copyright.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Um... explain please?

Well, you can only claim copyright for your own work. Screenshots of 3D models of other people for example is a good example.

Thorsten

Reaction score
To the degree that you arrange visual elements in a certain order (like a photographer in real life would do for a studio picture) for the screenshot, that could be seen as an artistic achievement in its own right.

Upon reading some (rather contradictory) statements about screenshots taken from commercial games, it seems the whole question is massively murky, but hasn't seriously been put to the test - generally using game and simulator screenshots for unrelated (even commercial) purposes like blogs, fan sites,... seems widely accepted use and apparently has never been challenged.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
To the degree that you arrange visual elements in a certain order (like a photographer in real life would do for a studio picture) for the screenshot, that could be seen as an artistic achievement in its own right.

Upon reading some (rather contradictory) statements about screenshots taken from commercial games, it seems the whole question is massively murky, but hasn't seriously been put to the test - generally using game and simulator screenshots for unrelated (even commercial) purposes like blogs, fan sites,... seems widely accepted use and apparently has never been challenged.

Its not about games - its also about application software. Especially CAD software screenshots can be troublesome: What if you show a secret prototype of a customer? It actually has been put to the test already in that context.

In games, you can usually rely on the copyright holder not sueing you as long as you are not harming him.

Thorsten

Reaction score
In games, you can usually rely on the copyright holder not sueing you as long as you are not harming him.

Well, that's one of the provisions of 'fair use'. So in the context at hand (using Orbiter and an Addon for a visualization) I would strongly suspect that 'fair use' would be acceptable if nothing else is - that'd allow you to use it without holding copyright (and dodges the question who holds copyright for an arranged screenshot).

The CAD thing has to do with trade secrets and their protection rather than copyright it seems to me, and I'm pretty sure you can't show a screenshot of a computer game before that game is officially marketed either (same reason)... So it's murky to begin with, and by suitably constructing cases to bring in other laws you can make it even more complicated.

(I remember the somewhat weird case of whether printing the source code of a program intended to circumvent copy protection on a T-Shirt is protected by the freedom of speech, based on the notion that the T-Shirt expresses a political message...)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The CAD thing has to do with trade secrets and their protection rather than copyright it seems to me, and I'm pretty sure you can't show a screenshot of a computer game before that game is officially marketed either (same reason)... So it's murky to begin with, and by suitably constructing cases to bring in other laws you can make it even more complicated.

Its simply civil law. That is already complicated that it does not only know wrong or right, but also "both are right and wrong at the same time". :tiphat:

You might want to call it murky, but in reality, it works pretty well and does not depend on what can buy more lawyers... but not hiring any lawyer is a bad idea, yeah.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
No no no, stop now...It's not a legit copyright discussion without Face's point of view!!
;-)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think it's just nice to give credit, where credit is due.