IMFD Slingshot help

jjake101

Reaction score
How do you actually set up a slingshot? I want to slingshot off Jupiter to Neptune. also what are the advantages of using a slingshot?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
The main advantage is saving fuel by exploiting the "push" that another planet can give you. In order to do this, planning and timing are crucial.

...And I never made one.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How do you actually set up a slingshot?

I would really recommend you to go trough flytandem's TransX tutorials. This was pure gold for me to learn using TransX.

What are the advantages of using a slingshot?

As you can see on this picture, you only not have your own velocity, you also get velocity from the gravitational pull of the planet you are flying past.
500px-Gravitational_slingshot.svg.png

You can sort of imagine it as having a rope fastened to a helicopter. If it was standing still, you would only have the velocity relative to the ground that you got from pulling yourself up.
At a slingshot, it's like the helicopter is going upwards while you pull yourself up. The velocity relative to the ground will be that of the velocity you pull yourself up with PLUS the vertical velocity of the helicopter, which of course will be higher than the one you pull yourself up with.

jjake101

Reaction score
I would really recommend you to go trough flytandem's TransX tutorials. This was pure gold for me to learn using TransX.

As you can see on this picture, you only not have your own velocity, you also get velocity from the gravitational pull of the planet you are flying past.
500px-Gravitational_slingshot.svg.png

You can sort of imagine it as having a rope fastened to a helicopter. If it was standing still, you would only have the velocity relative to the ground that you got from pulling yourself up.
At a slingshot, it's like the helicopter is going upwards while you pull yourself up. The velocity relative to the ground will be that of the velocity you pull yourself up with PLUS the vertical velocity of the helicopter, which of course will be higher than the one you pull yourself up with.

Are there any IMFD sling shot tutorials?

Tommy

Reaction score
There is a flaw in the tutorial for slingshots in IMFD Full Manual. I've given the correct process on this forum several times, and don't want to type it all out yet again. Just do a forum search using "IMFD" and "Slingshot" as keywords. Also, if you use the advanced search, you can filter by my username to narrow the results.