Project Silisko Industries

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Assuming you did the code right, MFD display issues are usually a result of not having good UV data or trying to paint them to a black (non-luminous) material.

The UV map seems good, and I set the material to be self-illum, but no luck so far...

Here's the spacecraft3 code for the VC:

Code:
[VC]
MESHNAME="spacecraft/mpod-v"
MFD_LEFT=3
MFD_RIGHT=4

Depends on the chamber pressure, which for pressure fed engines is perhaps in the range of 7-10 atmospheres. Tank pressure needs to be higher than chamber pressure, to force the propellant(s) into the engine.

Since H2O2 is incompressible, pressure won't be your major concern when it comes to density. Temperature might be more important, but probably the most important issue affecting density is the concentration of the H2O2- pure peroxide is something like 1450 kg/m^3, but you'll be using a high concentration of peroxide (something like 95-98%). The information on the density of these propellants should be readily available on the internet (such as here).

Depends on the thrust and ISP of the engines, and the volume of the tanks (and thus mass of the propellants). If you give me the basic dimensions (tank diameter, cylindrical section lengths, ellipsoidal section dimensions, etc) for your vehicle, I'll be happy to do some calculations to show what the payload capability could be. :tiphat:

That would be great, but I'm somewhat unsure of the fuel/oxi ratio for different types of fuel, and optimal tank shapes... For first stage engines, let's say a functional equivalent to the RD-170, and for the second stage engine, a functional equivalent to the J-2. Of course, depending on the weight, an RD-170 equivalent might not even get it off the ground, let alone into orbit with payload.

Last edited:

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
I dunno, I'm partial to the legged MPOD myself, Space-Planes may be sexy but lunar landers are a neglected niche.

They certainly are! And airless body landers with UMMU compatability are even more rare. (hint...hint)

Looks good!

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That would be great, but I'm somewhat unsure of the fuel/oxi ratio for different types of fuel, and optimal tank shapes... For first stage engines, let's say a functional equivalent to the RD-170, and for the second stage engine, a functional equivalent to the J-2. Of course, depending on the weight, an RD-170 equivalent might not even get it off the ground, let alone into orbit with payload.

Well, there are two options to engines. One is to assume actual engines (their dimensions, mass, ISP, mixture ratio, and thrust) and another is to assume a bunch of figures that are fixed (based on existing designs- i.e. ISP, mass, mixture ratio) and flexible (thrust, dimensions that are based on thrust, etc). With real engines, you have to add or subtract engines to get necessary thrust, and the practicality of it can get tough (for example if you only need 25% more thrust, but you can only add another engine, doubling your thrust).

Since you say a first stage with an RD-170 type engine, let's pick a first stage that has an RD-170 type (specifically RD-171, which is an RD-170 that can gimbal on an extra axis) engine- specifically, the Zenit first stage (using the info from here).

Now, no hydrolox stage matches your stage, so a very random guess, a 3.90 meter diameter stage, with ellipsoidal end domes (1 meter long), and a 21 meter long tank (this is excluding all other hardware, including the engine and payload attachment). Assuming that 10% of the tank volume is reserved for internal hardware/ullage volume, and an average density for hydrolox of 335 kg/m^3 (I calculated 338kg/m^3, but this was for an O/F ratio of 6 rather than 5.50), it could carry some 79 000 kilograms of propellant.

Assuming thrust and ISP of J-2X, and that the dry mass of the second stage is 11 000 kg (including engine), that propellant residuals for both stages are 1% of the total, that the vehicle is carrying a 3 ton payload fairing that is jettisoned at 250 seconds into the flight, and that it is launched from Cape Canaveral into a 29 degree, 200x200km orbit, John Schilling's Launch Vehicle Performance Calculator gives it a payload of 20 985 kg.

That is enough to get two ten-ton payloads to LEO, but does not include any extra payload adaptors, etc (like those you would need to mount an MPOD on top of another MPOD, unless they connect to eachother). But there is a huge amount of tweaking that can be done.

This PDF could be helpful in regard to estimating masses for the stages.

NovaSilisko

Addon Developer
Reaction score
They certainly are! And airless body landers with UMMU compatability are even more rare. (hint...hint)

Looks good!

Once I work out the MFDs in the cockpit, I'm going to use http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=21727 to convert it into C++, so I can expand it further. The MPOD-V is my new baby.

Well, there are two options to engines. One is to assume actual engines (their dimensions, mass, ISP, mixture ratio, and thrust) and another is to assume a bunch of figures that are fixed (based on existing designs- i.e. ISP, mass, mixture ratio) and flexible (thrust, dimensions that are based on thrust, etc). With real engines, you have to add or subtract engines to get necessary thrust, and the practicality of it can get tough (for example if you only need 25% more thrust, but you can only add another engine, doubling your thrust).

Since you say a first stage with an RD-170 type engine, let's pick a first stage that has an RD-170 type (specifically RD-171, which is an RD-170 that can gimbal on an extra axis) engine- specifically, the Zenit first stage (using the info from here).

Now, no hydrolox stage matches your stage, so a very random guess, a 3.90 meter diameter stage, with ellipsoidal end domes (1 meter long), and a 21 meter long tank (this is excluding all other hardware, including the engine and payload attachment). Assuming that 10% of the tank volume is reserved for internal hardware/ullage volume, and an average density for hydrolox of 335 kg/m^3 (I calculated 338kg/m^3, but this was for an O/F ratio of 6 rather than 5.50), it could carry some 79 000 kilograms of propellant.

Assuming thrust and ISP of J-2X, and that the dry mass of the second stage is 11 000 kg (including engine), that propellant residuals for both stages are 1% of the total, that the vehicle is carrying a 3 ton payload fairing that is jettisoned at 250 seconds into the flight, and that it is launched from Cape Canaveral into a 29 degree, 200x200km orbit, John Schilling's Launch Vehicle Performance Calculator gives it a payload of 20 985 kg.

That is enough to get two ten-ton payloads to LEO, but does not include any extra payload adaptors, etc (like those you would need to mount an MPOD on top of another MPOD, unless they connect to eachother). But there is a huge amount of tweaking that can be done.

This PDF could be helpful in regard to estimating masses for the stages.

Counting the interstage(but not the engines), the first stage is 6.9m x 6.9m x 37.6m, so I might have to do some changes to the engines =p

But at this rate it seems like I definitely will be able to get the MPOD-Vs into orbit.

Last edited:

NovaSilisko

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was planning to name a manned spacecraft/launcher Nebula when my development skills were advanced enough.

I can name it something else, if you want.

NovaSilisko

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sure, if you have a backup name or something. Otherwise, I'm fine with that.

I'll start thinking of one as I work on this MFD problem.

Edit: Also, it might be a bit bigger than I had thought:

ss20120115174017.jpg

My plans of launching one with a crewed shuttle, docking with it it, transferring a crew member and performing a test flight are ruined!

---------- Post added 01-16-12 at 01:45 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-15-12 at 10:28 PM ----------

I found the problem. I forgot to apply a dummy texture to the MFDs - I just had had a selfillum color applied to them.

ss20120115204448.png

Last edited:

NovaSilisko

Addon Developer
Reaction score
ss20120115222310.png

This is all I can manage to do for a HUD, cannot figure out what's wrong...
It isn't solid like that all the time, it flickers about as I rotate the ship.

---------- Post added at 04:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 AM ----------

ss20120115232114.jpg

Got the RMS working! All I need to do now is fix the HUD and add an attach point for the RMS. Might add a tool rack that you can grab stuff from or stow things, too.

After the HUD/attach point, I'll convert it to C++!

---------- Post added 01-16-12 at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was 01-15-12 at 11:22 PM ----------

I can't decide whether to convert to C++ and then work on fixing the HUD, or fix it first and then use the working code in the conversion... Any advice?

Of course, I'm at class right now so I can't do too much :p

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
If your new to C++ I would reccomend doing as much as you can in SC3 before converting.

Once you convert make a copy of the ShuttlePB sample project and change the name to MPOD (or whatever). From there use the PB's code and slowly (one feature at a time) transfer components from your SC3 source (*.cpp) file to the MPOD project.

This will give you an opportunity to mess around in VS and learn the various components of the API.

NovaSilisko

Addon Developer
Reaction score
If your new to C++ I would reccomend doing as much as you can in SC3 before converting.

Once you convert make a copy of the ShuttlePB sample project and change the name to MPOD (or whatever). From there use the PB's code and slowly (one feature at a time) transfer components from your SC3 source (*.cpp) file to the MPOD project.

This will give you an opportunity to mess around in VS and learn the various components of the API.

I have a little bit of experience with it, so hopefully it won't be TOO difficult!

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Ugh, this is worse than I thought. I didn't realize how unintuitive it would be compared to my previous C++ experience.

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
The OAPI isn't that bad once you understand the syntax but the SC3 converter tends to make a mess of things, that's why I recomended starting with one of the SDK samples and working from there.

This tutorial also helped me out a lot.

NovaSilisko

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have it ingame now but I can't make it react to attitude thrusters - no orientation changes seem to be possible, even using the scenario editor. It also twitches and jitters in high time accel.

Note that I did start from the ShuttlePB and am working my way backwards into making the MPOD.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

Well, I got it physics enabled, but I need to get the thrusters in their correct position.

Plus, it does this when I use killrot:

ss20120116211702.png

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Eh, I'm just going to redo the thrusters from scratch. It's too much of a hassle to use the translated values from SC3.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

Oh god. I can't breathe. Finally finished the thruster code:

Code:
	//Bank left/right, translate up/down thrusters
	th_rcs[0] = CreateThruster (_V(1,0,0), _V(0, 1,0), MPOD_MAXRCSTH, fuel, MPOD_ISP);
	th_rcs[1] = CreateThruster (_V(1,0,0), _V(0, -1,0), MPOD_MAXRCSTH, fuel, MPOD_ISP);
	th_rcs[2] = CreateThruster (_V(-1,0,0), _V(0, 1,0), MPOD_MAXRCSTH, fuel, MPOD_ISP);
	th_rcs[3] = CreateThruster (_V(-1,0,0), _V(0, -1,0), MPOD_MAXRCSTH, fuel, MPOD_ISP);

AddExhaust(th_rcs[0],6,0.3,_V(2.9,0,-0.04),_V(0,-1,0),tex_rcs);
	AddExhaust(th_rcs[1],6,0.3,_V(2.9,0,0.04),_V(0,1,0),tex_rcs);
	AddExhaust(th_rcs[2],6,0.3,_V(-2.9,0,0.04),_V(0,-1,0),tex_rcs);
	AddExhaust(th_rcs[3],6,0.3,_V(-2.9,0,-0.04),_V(0,1,0),tex_rcs);

th_group[0] = th_rcs[0];
	th_group[1] = th_rcs[3];
	CreateThrusterGroup (th_group, 2, THGROUP_ATT_BANKLEFT);

th_group[0] = th_rcs[1];
	th_group[1] = th_rcs[2];
	CreateThrusterGroup (th_group, 2, THGROUP_ATT_BANKRIGHT);

th_group[0] = th_rcs[0];
	th_group[1] = th_rcs[2];
	CreateThrusterGroup (th_group, 2, THGROUP_ATT_UP);

th_group[0] = th_rcs[1];
	th_group[1] = th_rcs[3];
	CreateThrusterGroup (th_group, 2, THGROUP_ATT_DOWN);

//Translate left/right thrusters
	th_rcs[4] = CreateThruster (_V(0,1,0), _V(1, 0,0), MPOD_MAXRCSTH, fuel, MPOD_ISP);
	th_rcs[5] = CreateThruster (_V(0,1,0), _V(-1, 0,0), MPOD_MAXRCSTH, fuel, MPOD_ISP);
	th_rcs[6] = CreateThruster (_V(0,-1,0), _V(1, 0,0), MPOD_MAXRCSTH, fuel, MPOD_ISP);
	th_rcs[7] = CreateThruster (_V(0,-1,0), _V(-1, 0,0), MPOD_MAXRCSTH, fuel, MPOD_ISP);

AddExhaust(th_rcs[4],6,0.3,_V(0,2.9,-0.04),_V(-1,0,0),tex_rcs);
	AddExhaust(th_rcs[5],6,0.3,_V(0,2.9,0.04),_V(1,0,0),tex_rcs);
	AddExhaust(th_rcs[6],6,0.3,_V(0,-2.9,0.04),_V(-1,0,0),tex_rcs);
	AddExhaust(th_rcs[7],6,0.3,_V(0,-2.9,-0.04),_V(1,0,0),tex_rcs);

th_group[0] = th_rcs[4];
	th_group[1] = th_rcs[6];
	CreateThrusterGroup (th_group, 2, THGROUP_ATT_RIGHT);

th_group[0] = th_rcs[5];
	th_group[1] = th_rcs[7];
	CreateThrusterGroup (th_group, 2, THGROUP_ATT_LEFT);

//yaw left/right, translate forward/back thrusters
	th_rcs[8] = CreateThruster (_V(1,0,0), _V(0, 0,1), MPOD_MAXRCSTH, fuel, MPOD_ISP);
	th_rcs[9] = CreateThruster (_V(1,0,0), _V(0, 0,-1), MPOD_MAXRCSTH, fuel, MPOD_ISP);
	th_rcs[10] = CreateThruster (_V(-1,0,0), _V(0, 0,1), MPOD_MAXRCSTH, fuel, MPOD_ISP);
	th_rcs[11] = CreateThruster (_V(-1,0,0), _V(0, 0,-1), MPOD_MAXRCSTH, fuel, MPOD_ISP);

AddExhaust(th_rcs[8],6,0.3,_V(2.9,-0.04,0),_V(0,0,-1),tex_rcs);
	AddExhaust(th_rcs[9],6,0.3,_V(2.9,0.04,0),_V(0,0,1),tex_rcs);
	AddExhaust(th_rcs[10],6,0.3,_V(-2.9,-0.04,0),_V(0,0,-1),tex_rcs);
	AddExhaust(th_rcs[11],6,0.3,_V(-2.9,0.04,0),_V(0,0,1),tex_rcs);

th_group[0] = th_rcs[8];
	th_group[1] = th_rcs[11];
	CreateThrusterGroup (th_group, 2, THGROUP_ATT_YAWLEFT);

th_group[0] = th_rcs[9];
	th_group[1] = th_rcs[10];
	CreateThrusterGroup (th_group, 2, THGROUP_ATT_YAWRIGHT);

th_group[0] = th_rcs[8];
	th_group[1] = th_rcs[10];
	CreateThrusterGroup (th_group, 2, THGROUP_ATT_FORWARD);

th_group[0] = th_rcs[9];
	th_group[1] = th_rcs[11];
	CreateThrusterGroup (th_group, 2, THGROUP_ATT_BACK);

//pitch up/down thrusters
	th_rcs[12] = CreateThruster (_V(0,1,0), _V(0, 0,1), MPOD_MAXRCSTH, fuel, MPOD_ISP);
	th_rcs[13] = CreateThruster (_V(0,1,0), _V(0, 0,-1), MPOD_MAXRCSTH, fuel, MPOD_ISP);
	th_rcs[14] = CreateThruster (_V(0,-1,0), _V(0, 0,1), MPOD_MAXRCSTH, fuel, MPOD_ISP);
	th_rcs[15] = CreateThruster (_V(0,-1,0), _V(0, 0,-1), MPOD_MAXRCSTH, fuel, MPOD_ISP);

AddExhaust(th_rcs[12],6,0.3,_V(0,2.9,-0.04),_V(0,0,-1),tex_rcs);
	AddExhaust(th_rcs[13],6,0.3,_V(0,2.9,0.04),_V(0,0,1),tex_rcs);
	AddExhaust(th_rcs[14],6,0.3,_V(0,-2.9,0.04),_V(0,0,-1),tex_rcs);
	AddExhaust(th_rcs[15],6,0.3,_V(0,-2.9,-0.04),_V(0,0,1),tex_rcs);

th_group[0] = th_rcs[13];
	th_group[1] = th_rcs[14];
	CreateThrusterGroup (th_group, 2, THGROUP_ATT_PITCHUP);

th_group[0] = th_rcs[12];
	th_group[1] = th_rcs[15];
	CreateThrusterGroup (th_group, 2, THGROUP_ATT_PITCHDOWN);

---------- Post added 01-17-12 at 02:52 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-16-12 at 11:42 PM ----------

I've regained control of this vehicle and am making progress now!

ss20120117025043.jpg

New and improved MPOD-V sits in Atlantis' cargo bay, ready for excursion!

ss20120117024829.jpg

The same MPOD-V inspects Atlantis.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 AM ----------

Took a break from the MPOD-V and started working on a new craft:

ss20120117143556.png

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Try lifting the RCS coding from the Leisure Pod. It contains the .cpp file.

NovaSilisko

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Try lifting the RCS coding from the Leisure Pod. It contains the .cpp file.

The RCS code is working fully now, but thanks anyway!

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

ss20120117164335.jpg

Got the first little bit of texture work done. I need some help with getting the MFD side buttons working, though...

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Got the first little bit of texture work done. I need some help with getting the MFD side buttons working, though...

Getting the Dynamic textures to redraw is the thing that's been holding me back from realeasing the Caterpillar. If you figure it out pass the info along.

I'll trade you some HUD, or torque balancing/Engine gimbal code. :lol:

NovaSilisko

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Getting the Dynamic textures to redraw is the thing that's been holding me back from realeasing the Caterpillar. If you figure it out pass the info along.

I'll trade you some HUD, or torque balancing/Engine gimbal code. :lol:

But...but...that's exactly what I'm making pretty much! :C

I feel incredibly discouraged now.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

Still having lots of trouble with the MFD buttons, ueuueueghgh

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
But...but...that's exactly what I'm making pretty much! :C

I feel incredibly discouraged now.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

Still having lots of trouble with the MFD buttons, ueuueueghgh

Don't feel discouraged. So two people have similar good ideas. Help each other out and there will be Two more good add-ons over at the hanger.:tiphat:

P.S. And most of us will download/use both anyway.:cheers: