Side-by-side materials don't appear the same

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I
SOPProblem.jpg

In the pic here, you can see that the two halves don't match up even though they are the same material in Anim8or. Any idea how I can fix this?
Thanks,
Zat

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I just addressed this one on M6, but it seems to have gone down again.

I've had the same exact problem with Anim8or, but am now convinced that at least 85% of the time it's only a trick of the light.

Are you sure that's not what you're seeing here?

Try rotating your object, and then rerendering it in Anim8or. If it's not a trick of the light, you'll know for sure then.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Anim8tor, but it could be a problem with smoothing groups.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I
In the pic here, you can see that the two halves don't match up even though they are the same material in Anim8or. Any idea how I can fix this?
Thanks,
Zat

Wait, do you mean that you took an object, and created another object and made it the same texture?

if your texture has different colors all the way around then this might be the case.

if not then do you have a slice where that line is? if you have a slice then you could have accidentally moved it .01-z or so, and that would change the light reflection rays to make what your seeing.

hope this helps

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's not even a texture, it's just a basic grey material on two rectangular panels folded together. When K is pressed using SC3, the whole thing will unfold and these panels in the folded position are right next to each other. I'll check the Z orientation (it's supposed to be Y, but I'll fix that) see if there's any deviation.
Thanks for all the help,
Zat

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Anim8or's weird that way. I find I'm always having to drop into the render mode to get a better idea of what things really look like.

Even that's not adequate preparation for how everything changes once it's in the Orbiter DirectX environment!

Still, for a freeware it's a small complaint really.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, just checked for deviation, none exists. I might just put a texture on it, though I was kind of hoping I could avoid it as I don't know any great sources for what I'm doing.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm still guessing it's a trick of the light. Let us know, would you please Zatnikitelman? I'm really curious to what you find.

As for textures, I find there are a lot of restriction free image dumps out there with mostly what you're probably looking for. Here's a useful link to the CGTalk forum; just scroll down a bit to find links to online texture libraries. Several are defunct, but there's enough there to keep you busy a while.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=77484

What I do is keep in mind the form that I'm working on, and then look for images that fit this criteria. For example, see my post on M6 in addon development on the tether-sling prototype. The textures I used in the spool/flywheel comes from drain covers, brake linings, AC covers, and old car radiators.

Looking at the textures would never lead you to guess any of these things.

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
As for textures, I find there are a lot of restriction free image dumps out there with mostly what you're probably looking for. Here's a useful link to the CGTalk forum; just scroll down a bit to find links to online texture libraries. Several are defunct, but there's enough there to keep you busy a while.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=77484

Thank you nOmad23 for the link and the info. I've been stuck on finding the right textures for lunar base Niven. Have been trying to create my own with little success.

:cheers: