Idea Shuttle Fleet recompile for Orbiter 2016

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
I tried opening a mesh from Blender and made an Extended Duration Orbiter payload that is often used during Columbia's later Spacelab missions and Endeavour's ASTRO-2 mission due to their "long" 16-day stays in space. Sadly destroyed along with Columbia in 2003. (The structure installed in the payload bay's aft)

It is derived from the mesh found in the STS-107 payloads addon

Credits to the original creator!:salute:

vo6lgJh.png

STS-67 (Endeavour)
Y2NYlhd.png

STS-75 (Columbia)
CLJlhIM.png

STS-90 (Columbia)

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I tried opening a mesh from Blender and made an Extended Duration Orbiter payload that is often used during Columbia's later Spacelab missions and Endeavour's ASTRO-2 mission due to their "long" 16-day stays in space. Sadly destroyed along with Columbia in 2003. (The structure installed in the payload bay's aft)

It is derived from the mesh found in the STS-107 payloads addon

Credits to the original creator!:salute:

STS-67 (Endeavour)

STS-90 (Columbia)
That would be me (the meshes, Donamy for the textures). They're very old, probably made around 2004-5. If someone would like to make better textures, you can find some good photos here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4amij5u7hmicgd8/AABlJPremgECun81mDhWpusPa?dl=0

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I saw a video on it. Where the scientific airlock aft hatch open and it raised a test device. Something like that might be neat.

fixing the rms is important also.

Another obstacle which can fixed is plyon. some add on used to attach, animate. And since it doesn't work a dll or sc3/4 needs to be made

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I built a vesselbuilder RMS. and attached to the shuttle. Attached the rmspfr and it did good. So I built a rms just the rms mesh and dialogue box and I think the results are the same bad attachment.

The thought being that the SSRMD worked attached to the shuttle an rms should act the same

Another solution which I will need help on is to make a ssrmd with the RMS mesh. But I have had issues compling it

So any solutions or just expect and move on

So here is how the VB rms first attaches:
t8zflsU.jpg

So the only difference in the test with the new rms is the pfr. The VB seems to be not be able to select attachments but the GS attachment is the same values
So here the rms attaches the pfr.
0elaIJT.jpg

and exit and restart and it is in the correct state.
jWJV2rQ.jpg

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So redid the rms following robotic code and the attachment issues seems solved. The only code difference seems in the Atlantis the arm tip is not normalized.

But I got it all to work except the store/recall and move arm to the recalled state.

By have set up breakpoints.

But not sure where it should go after arm seq. ? I am using the SSRMS code for example

JeSqa1I.jpg

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So Seems to work now.
eTmXrWI.jpg

Eva 1 getting the rmspfr off the bulkhead
sdZpxP7.jpg

eva1 and rms getting ready to mount
iHeHOua.jpg

Eva1 mounted to rms

So how I fixed it was changed this:
Code:
    rms_attach = CreateAttachment(false, _V(-2.515, 2.059, -5.5327), _V(0, -1, 0), _V(0, 0, 1), "G", false);
// from
    //rms_attach = CreateAttachment(false, arm_tip[0], arm_tip[1] - arm_tip[0], arm_tip[2] - arm_tip[0], "G", true);//1

So the loose part was declared true I made it false.

If the attachment point is defined as loose, then the relative orientation between the two attached objects is frozen to the orientation between them at the time the connection was established. Otherwise, the two objects snap to the orientation defined by their dir vectors.

Would be nice to have a function to show just "GS" attachment ID.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So the speed brake.

From Shuttle fleet.
[SHIFT]/[0] (ZERO) Operates the speedbrake closed (0%) [SHIFT]/[9] Operates the speedbrake full-open (100%) [CTRL/[comma] Toggles AUTOSPEEDBRAKE control on/off
[comma] Manually open speedbrake in 5% increments (also left wheelbrake) [period] Manually close speedbrake in 5% increments (also right wheelbrake)

So I have CTRL +B all or nothing speed brake. and , and . to change the speed brake by 5%

So I need to take the ctrl B out or leave it as alternative,

But the AUTOSPEEDBRAKE I thought I saw somewhere where at 300 knots it would adjust to keep the airspeed
Code:
if (spdb_auto == 1){  // turn on auto speed brake
        spdb_proc = .65;
        AIRSPEEDKNOT = (GetAirspeed() *0.514444); //convert to knots
        if (AIRSPEEDKNOT > 300)     spdb_proc = spdb_proc + .05; //   if airspeed is more than 300 increase 5%
        if (AIRSPEEDKNOT < 300)spdb_auto = 0;   // if airspeed less than 300 turn autobrake off

}

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So another code issue.

So on the stow function. It looks at the wrist animation state (arm_wr) and compares it to (wr_start(.5)). Then if not the same at the arm speed make the change. If it is the same then go to next joint,....

So I put breaks in the code
And it jumps from .562 to .5 instantly. But it is after set animation So it jumps to wr_start. So if I comment the set animation line it changes slowly but of course the animation doesn't move

spvQGo1.jpg

Last edited:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
You are running a Release build! As I mentioned earlier to you the Debug build is for debugging.
So always debug with a Debug build!
The compiler optimizes code (in Release builds) in such ways, that those "jumps" look strange, but trust me it's normal.

To really see what's going on you have to step through the the assembly code (right-click and select "Go tho Disassembly" once you are at a halted debugging-session).
Now you can see what really happens, but to understand that you might not have the knowledge.
Just so you can see why sometimes the source-code does not exactly translate directly into assembly.

Marg

Reaction score
2016 shuttles are really great.
Maybe ET Umbilical Door camera can be added - like KEEL camera, but looking downwards (in real life there were cameras, shooting ET after separation).
Its coordinates could be set in scenario...
BTW wasn't there umbilical door closing switch on R13 panel too in real life (in overlay\window "payload bay door opeartion" there is some "empty" place)?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
BTW wasn't there umbilical door closing switch on R13 panel too in real life (in overlay\window "payload bay door opeartion" there is some "empty" place)?
Not on R13L, but on R2 which is on the PLT side of the forward flight deck. It also has the MPS PWR and GHe switches along with all the APU stuff.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Maybe ET Umbilical Door camera can be added - like KEEL camera, but looking downwards (in real life there were cameras, shooting ET after separation).
Thanks. So sure possible. But it would require a change of scn and code to add the ET camera.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So yes I can add that. have a default position/direction/rotation. Then is you want different then add a line.

So where should it be,....

I will add a ET camera to the camera dialogue.

Looking at sts 421c

Marg

Reaction score
I think ET camera was in that umbilical where either LO2 or LH2 connects with orbiter. Maybe in just one... Just thought by theory, if ET hatch doors are closed, camera should show nothing (covered), but it is not important.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The LH2 umbilical well housed a film camera that documented the ET as it fell away post-MECO. The LOX umbilical well housed a still camera (film initially, but changed to a Canon digital still camera after STS-107). I have attached two photos that shows where the lenses of the cameras are located on the rectangular green housings. Both cameras were installed after the orbiter had been successfully hard-mated to the ET in the VAB prior to rollout.

Attachments

• LH2_ET_umbilical.jpg
    LH2_ET_umbilical.jpg
    743.9 KB · Views: 8
  • LOX_ET_umbilical.jpg
    LOX_ET_umbilical.jpg
    827.5 KB · Views: 8

Marg

Reaction score
Textures are so good in Orbiter that I identified these camera places, looking a them, during ascent :)

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
sO WE GET THIS:
88zrMN5.jpg
or this:
pIDyy0p.jpg
. Sothe position of the 2 images were.ETCAM = _V(1, -3.500, 20.1);//ETCAM = _V(1, -3.500, 11.9); The direction was -1 on the Z. Like the keel it can't be change in the scn

So the et hatches are about -2 -2.856126 -7.334826.. so should the direction be on the -1 Y?