Idea Shuttle Fleet recompile for Orbiter 2016

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
Currently working on VesselBuilder versions of the TDRS, Galileo, Chandra, Leasat, HS-376 satellites to simplify the reconfigurations they undergo during their post-deployment phases

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So some eva images with the rigid slide wire
lF6E5cs.jpg

jwJTHQC.jpg

So one thing we have run into is on the GPC MFD from SF. When in the 3 mfd version when switching from 3d to 2d a CTD.

One thing I noticed is the functions are not carried over though.
GoHyc7M.jpg

qi5vqPu.jpg

So this is sts 6
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasacommons/20248756952

It looks like the payload camera are gold?
Looks like some were gold and some silver.
You can see the eva slidewire also

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I got this:
Some gold, some silver. hey found over time that it was just as reflective and much less expensive

So not going to do anything.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. Really the only thing that needs fixing is the reflectiveness of the radiators
And minor adjustments to scns,....

pappy2

Reaction score
THE STEERING POST DISPLAY SYSTEM
http://www.capcomespace.net/dossiers/espace_US/shuttle/sts/orbiter_avionique.htm

Originally, the Orbiters were equipped with the Multifunctional CRT Displays System or MCDS. In 1998, this system was replaced by the Multifunctional Electronics Display System MEDS. The MCDS is made up of three types of materials:
_ 4 electronic screens DEU (Display Electronics Unit),
_ 4 DU (Display Units) screens which include CRT screens
_ 3 control keypads communicating with the GPCs via bus network.
Three DU displays and two keyboards are mounted on the main panel, and one with a keyboard on the side workstation. Each of the 4 DEUs communicates with the data from the GPC on-board computers.

The DU screens are CRT electronic screens displaying alphanumeric characters, graphic symbols and arrows in fluorescent green. They are not able to represent a complex shape, being limited by lines or arrows. Each screen has a contrast and brightness setting. If one of the CRTs breaks down on the main panel, the crew can exchange it with that of the rear station to ensure the return of the mission.

When the MCDS is installed, indicators ensuring the need for the primary flight instrument necessary for manual flight or automatic control of the piloting system are arranged in front of the pilots and aft on the "hold" workstation. These indicators include the ADI (for flight direction), two HSI (horizon indicator), AMI (Mach indicator), AVVI (vertical speed indicator and altimeter), position of flight indicators, RCS system light and G meter.

The HUD head-up viewfinder is an optical system which makes it possible to visualize the reentry data during the reentry phase, the final approach to the runway. It uses the same data as the edge indicators and displays them on CRT screens to create an image which is projected through a series of lenses to combine on a window located in front of the portholes in direct view of the pilots. The system was not originally installed on the OV 101 and 102, but on the others from their construction. Columbia was fitted after STS 9.

Regarding the installation dates of the Multifunction Electronic Display System (MEDS):
http://www.capcomespace.net/dossiers/espace_US/shuttle/sts/orbiter_avionique.htm

In 1988 Rockwell embarked on a program to modernize the Orbiters' cockpit. At that time, it naturally came to mind to use the "glass cockpit" like commercial aircraft. This system allows data to be displayed on color screens to replace conventional indicators. In 1992, this program was perfected for its use, thus born the Multifunction Electronic Display System MEDS.

MEDS uses 11 multi-function MDU color screens, 4 so-called IDP (Integrated Display Processors) screens and 4 ADC analog-digital converters per vehicle. 9 screens are installed in front of the pilots to replace the three CRT screens and indicators. The other two are installed in the aft cockpit. The MDU screens are based on those fitted to B777 aircraft modified to use an LCD produced in the USA. They are slightly larger than the old ones but provide better lateral vision, have better definition with 48 colors (16 tones of each primary).

The MEDS program was originally spread over two phases, one at the KSC with the replacement of the three classic screens with three MDUs, then during the OMPDs, the indicators would be replaced by three MDUs. The installation of the MEDS slightly increases the mass of the Orbiters by 250 kg, the consumption and the heat dissipation being equivalent (1600 W).

Atlantis is the first Orbiter to receive MEDS in 1998 during its OMPD. He flew for the first time in May 2000 on STS 98.
Columbia received his MEDS in 2000.
Discovery received it in 2002-2003 during his OMPD 3.
And Endeavour received it in 2004-2005. Note that these last two OMPD take place at the KSC.

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. But for now we will have 3 crt and 10 MFD. I guess if someone want to make different sts versions they could.

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

So:
Originally, the Orbiters were equipped with the Multifunctional CRT Displays System or MCDS. In 1998, this system was replaced by the Multifunctional Electronics Display System MEDS. The MCDS is made up of three types of equipment:
_ 4 electronic screens DEU (Display Electronics Unit),
_ 4 screens DU (Display Units) which include CRT screens
_ 3 control keypads communicating with the GPCs by bus network.
Three DU displays and two keyboards are mounted on the main panel, and one with a keyboard on the side workstation. Each of the 4 DEUs communicates with the data from the GPC on-board computers.

The DU screens are CRT electronic screens displaying alphanumeric characters, graphic symbols and arrows in fluorescent green. They are not able to represent a complex shape, being limited by lines or arrows. Each screen has a contrast and brightness setting. If one of the CRTs breaks down on the main panel, the crew can exchange it with that of the rear station to ensure the return of the mission.

We have the 3 CRT on the front. The side one is just a texture.

Oh so with the 3 crt version there are 2.
Configuration of instrument panels in the cockpit of all Orbiters except OV 102 until 1998. The latter will be modernized after STS 9 and equipped like the other Orbiter with the HUD head-up display.

No HUD and with HUD. THis is doable just change the VC mesh. Not sure if we want this maybe a later version?

And then the 9 front MFd version:
The MEDS program was originally spread over two phases, one at the KSC with the replacement of the three classic screens with three MDUs, then during the OMPDs, the indicators would be replaced by three MDUs. The installation of the MEDS slightly increases the mass of the Orbiters by 250 kg, the consumption and the heat dissipation being equivalent (1600 W). Atlantis is the first Orbiter to receive MEDS in 1998 during its OMPD. He flew for the first time in May 2000 on STS 98. Columbia received his MEDS in 2000, Discovery received it in 2002-2003 during his OMPD 3 and Endeavor received it in 2004-2005. Note that these last two OMPD take place at the KSC.

I might need to go back and redo a scenario or two?

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

sts 6 eva
3QAApW7.jpg

Wpf462Y.jpg

fs276IK.jpg

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
All orbiters had MCDS up until STS-101 which is when Atlantis debuted the new MEDS which was just the first phase of the much larger Cockpit Avionics Upgrade (CAU) project. The MEDS is much more capable than what it was used for as the CAU project got scrapped after the Columbia accident along with many other upgrades as it was itself part of the overall Space Shuttle Upgrades Program. Here's a document on it: https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/293271main_63778main_mccandless_forum9.pdf

The HUDs for the CDR and PLT were introduced with Challenger on STS-6 and Columbia got retrofitted with them during her downtime between STS-9 and STS-61C. Atlantis, Discovery and Endeavour had them as production features.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. so IF I do this it really would be for sts1-5 no HUD.

The only think I can add to is the aft side CRT.

I suppose the GPC simulated those screens. I haven't made a MFD so makeing those for me will be hard

Last edited:

White Owl

Reaction score
Do I understand correctly that the instruments in the MCDS version are just a texture, and non-functional? If that's the case, then I suggest leaving the HUD installed. Sacrifice a tiny bit of authenticity for increased usability.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Do I understand correctly that the instruments in the MCDS version are just a texture, and non-functional? If that's the case, then I suggest leaving the HUD installed. Sacrifice a tiny bit of authenticity for increased usability.

No and Yes. On the early shuttle version the 3 crt are coded as MFD. So they are functionally. The aft CCTV are MFD also. So you can use the Camera MFD. The only textured one is the aft side one.

White Owl

Reaction score
I meant the actual flight instruments on the instrument panel. Attitude indicator, altimeter, mach meter, VSI, etc. The "steam gauges" that a player would use to fly the orbiter through reentry and landing in cockpit view. If those aren't usable (and believe me I'm not suggesting you tackle that huge project to make them usable!) then we'll need something else to read in flight, and the little CRTs aren't in a good spot. That's why I suggest leaving the HUD for those few flights.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So my goal was too get the Sf back and running in 2016. Added some thing like eva,...

BUT other add on may need to be updated. I think once a base add on is done then work can be done to the add-ons. Things like add eva to the space lab,......

---------- Post added 02-25-20 at 05:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-24-20 at 05:35 AM ----------

So I have a beta out for testing. Other than some minor scn fixes looks good. One issue? is using CTRL + ALT and the arrow key in the VC. It may move your view outside of the cockpit. I thought the CTRL + ALT may be using when accessing the aft station to control the payload doors.
So this needs to be set:
7knJJaF.jpg

CTRL ALt left arrow:AFt section:
tiEvkTk.jpg

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So the ET Fuel Tank doors. On launch they should be open, right? Then after ET jettison they are closed, right? So right now they are manually controlled.

Should they be automatic? Might take some coding. So if ET attachment is empty (ET Jettison) closed doors.

Also we made 2 basic ET's white and Orange. They are just meshes so new one can be created to match the different variations.

siicwo0.jpg

YsbG4VF.jpg

based off this:
http://axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/ET-SRB-External-Markings.pdf

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Manual for the ET doors is fine. I don't think that different tanks other than white or orange is necessary.

White Owl

Reaction score
My opinion: I like manually controlled features. Playing with all the widgets and gadgets is a large part of the fun.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So on EVA. This is what I have:
So using the Eva window:
Open the hatch on the external airlock or shuttle bay. Then create an EVA person (4 of them). This creates a EVA guy and attaches to a movable point. Focus is switched to the eva guy. Then open the eva window. Here you can move around and move the guy arms,.......
So From the shuttle focus there is a tether button. What that does is re attach the eva to the tether. So if you move the guy to a PFR,.... and attach them to it. Move the PFR around. To get movement back to the eva guy you re tether. It will attach them to where you left the tether.
So to Get back in the shuttle. Move back to the hatch switch focus to shuttle and press EVA. it should delete your guy if close enough.

I have a PFR and MFR as vessel that you can attach the eva guy too and then rotate,.....

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Can you bend the knees, ankles and waist ?