Idea Shuttle Fleet recompile for Orbiter 2016

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So for a simple KU. activation would be swing out 113 degrees. Then the dish rotates around?
No. Ku deploy is what rotates the entire Ku band antenna (called the Deployed Assembly, DA). This is done by placing both PLB MECH PWR switches in the ON position and then placing the KU ANT switch in DPY position.

The rotation of the dish to the so called "Master Index Pulse" position (this makes the gimbals seek out their null positions (0°)) happens during KU-BD ACTIVATION once the KU BD PWR switch is placed in the ON position. This switch isn't on the R13L panel but rather the A1U panel.

Marg

Reaction score
Unfortunately I haven't worked too much on shuttle mesh, only a bit closing gap around one of the umbilical doors. Maybe it is not a biggest issue after all. I saw some other smaller gaps when viewing close in...
I thought for a while, there would be an idea to introduce internal frame, which blocks all "holes"...

By the way, cockpit rear windows (to payload bay) actually had black frame around them... they were somehow more complex, I think Gazza's STS-VC had something similar.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So fix the ethatch gaps.
On the window frame. Gazza St vc was plyon and no mesh change.
In sf no frame really.
KrfGCOJ.jpg

sts2016
mi6SEJl.jpg

kCm276y.jpg

Can you send a image of the black frames. I did notice in SF the aft cockpit view was more in the window. I can do that. and add another view to see the mfd

do you mean this. the black frames?
M9Z4gJF.jpg

So on the KU. the deploy is really just swing the DEA unit out. THen the dish is rotated?
in the atlantis the dish rotate seems to be a part of deploy

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh. I get this from the external view. But changing the VC will take a bit more.
Mz6dMZB.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

So I get this in the VC. But noticed something about the front. Looks like some of the window frame is missing?
TL4ZLtQ.jpg

Marg

Reaction score
Missing? On the left? Isn't it hidden behind monitor\screen box.
By the way - upper windows have some seams\gaps, looking up from aft cockpit view (at them), where darker frame mesh meets the lighter "main" cockpit mesh. Is it worth fixing I do not know.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No in the front. Not sure if it is the vc mesh or external mesh
bOACnn8.jpg

---------- Post added at 03:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

The main mesh is doing it. I made the main mesh seen only external and it went away.

The issue is the external mesh and vc don't align up.

Marg

Reaction score
There is also small gap above the cockpit window in the middle... visible there in that pic, between red circles.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
fixed that and the aft top. But not sure about the front part. The VC window frame match to the exterior frame.

Code:
mesh_orbiter = AddMesh(hOrbiterMesh);//mesh 1
	SetMeshVisibilityMode(mesh_orbiter, MESHVIS_EXTERNAL | MESHVIS_VC | MESHVIS_EXTPASS);

Weird. If I move the camera back a bit it look good. Like it is clipping

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

So If the z camera is 13.9 cliping:
4jFsZm2.jpg

moved the camera back 13.6 and no issue:
LWX6uaQ.jpg

I wonder if the setsize is correct?
Code:
SetSize (19.6);

---------- Post added 12-09-19 at 03:28 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-08-19 at 04:57 PM ----------

So try these meshes. just the original Columbia for now. If it is good. I will remake the rest.
New camera aft location.
the only thing not working is the ku band deployment.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OfpWcJzyrnidbe65wnV3xQr9Xxac8iNz

Last edited:

Marg

Reaction score
Hi, did a quick test.

1) Port side aft window outer black "frame" is flickering ("mesh overlapping"?).
2) Sitting in PLT seat front window, front window's left side very small gap (just a few points, when earth in background), i think between cockpit and main mesh.

3) Maybe aft cockpit camera a bit (20 cm) further from window, and just 3 cm lower:
0.45, 3.02, 12.48

P.S. interesting that wings have also gaps, when looking from behind (again Earth in background), elevons do not cover whole "thickness" of wings... but that's just an observation...

Umbilical doors - I almost lost them, no even seams visible :) only when opened they are still just a bit off the mesh (a couple of inches)...

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. Can you post an image of the gaps. I will move the aft camera.

Marg

Reaction score
E4nmiSD

I do not know why it does not appear, but "view image" works.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

BTW I saw SSME nozzles up high, but my animation somehow moved them more together (of course, group numbers and ANIM COMP numbers can be different), rotation axis for lower nozzles were not exactly x:
Code:
[ANIM_COMP_16]
; SSME1 stow
SEQ=7
GROUPS=16
RANGE=(0,1)
ROT_PNT=(0,2.445,-11.713)
ROT_AXIS=(1,0,0)
ANGLE=-11.6

[ANIM_COMP_17]
; SSME2 stow 
SEQ=7
GROUPS=15
RANGE=(0,1)
ROT_PNT=(-1.559,-0.327,-12.524)
ROT_AXIS=(-0.70710678,0.70710678,0)
ANGLE=-7.1

[ANIM_COMP_18]
; SSME3 stow
SEQ=7
GROUPS=14
RANGE=(0,1)
ROT_PNT=(1.559,-0.327,-12.524)
ROT_AXIS=(0.70710678,0.70710678,0)
ANGLE=7.1

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. I fixed the wings. But can you screen shot the cockpit window issue. This"Sitting in PLT seat front window, front window's left side very small gap (just a few points, when earth in background), i think between cockpit and main mesh. "

I saw the aft window issue also.

for the ssmes. I have this:
Code:
// ***** 9. SSME pitch gimbal animations
	double init_gimbal = -10*RAD;
	float max_gimbal = (float)(-0.2*PI);
	anim_ssmes = CreateAnimation (init_gimbal/max_gimbal);

static UINT SSMEL_Grp = GRP_SSMEL;
	ssme_anim[0] = new MGROUP_ROTATE (midx, &SSMEL_Grp, 1, _V(-1.55,-0.37,-12.5), _V(-1,0,0), max_gimbal);
	AddAnimationComponent (anim_ssmes, 0, 1, ssme_anim[0]);

static UINT SSMER_Grp = GRP_SSMER;
	ssme_anim[1] = new MGROUP_ROTATE (midx, &SSMER_Grp, 1, _V( 1.55,-0.37,-12.5), _V(-1,0,0), max_gimbal);
	AddAnimationComponent (anim_ssmes, 0, 1, ssme_anim[1]);

static UINT SSMET_Grp = GRP_SSMET;
	ssme_anim[2] = new MGROUP_ROTATE (midx, &SSMET_Grp, 1, _V(0.0,  2.7, -12.5), _V(-1,0,0), max_gimbal);
	AddAnimationComponent (anim_ssmes, 0, 1, ssme_anim[2]);

But this looks for Gimbal not stowing. When you they be stowed?

96vGEZa.jpg

still clipping not sure how to fix except move the camera back?

Marg

Reaction score
I stowed in orbit after MECO, with specific animation command but honestly, I am not sure how it is in real life, I just saw in orbit photos (from ISS) and during landing that SSME's are closer together.

m9soD6D
f9iRMF6

in first image - minor issue.
but in the second - there is a flicker looking form outside (part of aft window's black frame), and left red area actually significant gap between cabin's rear wall and "roof".

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. I fixed the seam in the aft section. Not sure what to do about the SSME. Should there a stow key and then they stow?

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Here are the new meshes and dll
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kr9jAQo-f2UlFv1KDwf8zKeFI1OS7UKp

then down load this updated dll
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OFCKQYCDZ2LauQ83hOsDSTHdGtXJvSKc

Can't find anything on the SSME in SF.
[SHIFT]/[X] (1) Prelaunch – SSME O2 purge (start / stop)
(2) On-orbit – Operate RMS cradle sequence
but that just dump fuel? maybe it is not a command but part of a sequence. The only animation I have is for the gimbal thrust part not stow. So when should they stow or do we want a key?

Last edited:

Marg

Reaction score
Back home in the evening (7:42 pm) after a working day (must be 11.42 a.m. in Texas).

yes, I would prefer to have some key, for manual stowing (nozzles closer together, as in my animation) when in orbit.

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. I can make it a key. Hows is the mesh models?
I get a flickering on the external view from the black frames. But more concern with interior.

Marg

Reaction score
Ku-Band antenna - hm I was "scared" how much more detailed and real it looks :)

1) Aft cockpit camera, seems to be, has not moved:
I thought about something like (0.45, 3.02, 12.46).

2) Port side payload bay rear window has a gap between inner black frame and whitish mesh.
P.S Bottom of right wing is OK :), but there was (and still is) a gap in left wing also.
Maybe front views in cockpit could be moved a bit forward, although clipping will happen, but in current position there is still clipping of chairs. I do not see problem for now. Similar view is when looking at upper port side window (in aft view).
By the way I noticed, when there is EVA underway, I cannot turn cockpit cameras to look around. I know, being an EVA, it is supposed to be, but it is also in shuttle cockpit.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Did you try the newest dll:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OFCKQYCDZ2LauQ83hOsDSTHdGtXJvSKc

"By the way I noticed, when there is EVA underway, I cannot turn cockpit cameras to look around. I know, being an EVA, it is supposed to be, but it is also in shuttle cockpit." do you mean the payload load camera? I tried moving them and clipping was bad.

So cockpit mesh is good. If you have camera module you can move the camera around. I might try to move back to the way they were.

So fix the left wing. and the window. Can you screen shot the window and wing issue?

Looked at the Shuttle flight manual nothing about stow of SSME

Asked on a FB forum dealing with the shuttle:"The SSME's were gimballed for a stow position to get the aerodynamic tail fairing on for SCA transportation. Pretty sure at MECO the SSME's just returned to their null position."

Last edited:

Marg

Reaction score
GlPNrJR
jr8R2Uz
5VhpVtq

Third photo - left wing's trailing edge had the same gaps as the [now fixed] right wing.
First pic - wanted to show I noticed a while ago gaps where payload bay meets the cabins aft wall.
Second pic - red lines show that gap.

I could not make a look around while in shuttles cockpit (aft view), during EVA (I controled STS and just wanted to look from aft window), but actually it is not a big issue...

currently SSME nozzles seem oriented too high, maybe old position would be better (but overall, no need to think currently about this stow)

And yes, what about these OMS exhausts, I still see white squares some distance below OMS nozzles, during burns.

Last edited: