Idea Shuttle Fleet recompile for Orbiter 2016

smewthies

Reaction score
Okay I saw the first page but now there are 63 pages. Is there a way to launch the shuttle fleet on Orbiter 2016 now without it just falling to the ground? Or what's my best option? I've tried SSU in the past but honestly there's just too many buttons and I just want to press the thrust and start flying like with the shuttle fleet.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think I fixed those misspelling.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MfBFohHeQe--WlzV55hO8_hp3CmJj2nj

for the Shuttle2016B cfg I have this:
Code:
; === Configuration file for vessel class Shuttle ===
ClassName = SPACESHUTTLE2016Deva
Module = SPACESHUTTLE2016Deva
ImageBmp = Images\Vessels\Default\Atlantis.bmp
RenderCockpit = TRUE

; === Attachment specs ===
BEGIN_ATTACHMENT
END_ATTACHMENT

---------- Post added 12-04-19 at 05:21 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-03-19 at 07:13 PM ----------

So A couple of things that I can do.
ADTA air probes. I can animate them. I guess in real life the tile that covers them come off? In the model they just come thru the nose cone..
Jxh2TJz.jpg

DPrsUvx.jpg

51kOCPD.jpg

yiYfxQR.jpg

https://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/shutref/orbiter/avionics/gnc/ads.html
"Air Data System

Two air data probes are located on the left and right sides of the orbiter's forward lower fuselage. During the ascent, on-orbit, deorbit and initial entry heat load environment phases, the probes are stowed inside the forward lower fuselage. The air data probe (except for the probe itself) is covered by thermal protection system tiles while in the stowed position. At approximately Mach 3, the air data probes are deployed. "

That might answer the question about what this is in the sf?
here the shuttle is on the ground:
zmNBuqV.jpg

D7EHgLl.jpg

So the KU Antenna needs fixing. The default Atlantis and Sf have this issue.
YAErSln.jpg

here is why. this back part is missing
Q3E5OoZ.jpg

also it seems the antenna may be too low in the bay?
Gks3Gxr.jpg

KSC-99PP-1367.jpg

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. Did all the shuttle have them. It is doable. So the tile and probe rotated.
eoBO67v.jpg

So the KU antenna. In Orbiter it tilts outward and then rotates. But It looks like it just rotates out. It is possible to make the antenna gimbals moveable.

7E1hcg2.jpg

wh9pysN.jpg

gShVeVi.jpg

This looks like the whole assebly may be tilted a little?

Marg

Reaction score
I also thought about few of those things:
1) Shuttle main engines - weren't they stowed, when in orbit (three nozzles were moved closer together)? I saw "SSMES 1 1.0000" entry in Shuttle2016 scenario, I think it is just taken over from Shuttle Fleet scenarios.

2) Shuttle\Orbiter meshes have some holes\gaps, for example, near the one of EThatches\Umbilicals looking from underside. Some others - like RCC panel gaps were edited and are closed. I did not want to mess up with such complex mesh in Anim8or, being afraid to mess up group numbering or something like that, I just looked some vertex numbers and coordinates, and manually edited the .msh file in Notepad.

P.S STSpayload bay texture could be 2x higher resolution (Ku-band antenna texture is a part of it too). And yes, - by the way, I replaced radiator texture with gray texture from SSU (I think SSU), And I made it partially reflective with matte effect. In D3D9 debug I set material reflection ~0.25 and roughness ~0.77. I think this old blue texture was because of maybe Earth reflection in particular photo it was made of...

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you can fix the gaps. Then I can cut the tiles for air probes. Redo the KU antenna. Basically all shuttles used the same mesh with a different texture so the groups would be the same.

Not sure about the SSMEs that is in the Atlantis code also. Do we have a new payload bay texture? I wonder about the shape of the shuttle bay also. Couldn't find a profile image of the sides of the payload..

And if we change that might redo the external hatch as the inside side is the same as the outside

So found these:
yY1TPzV.jpg

uSNCLAE.jpg

AskY9GN.jpg

So it looks like the sides of the payload bay are straight down. I think in the mesh it is slanted in?

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I can give you the KU mesh that the SSU used before. Or anything else you want to update from the old Fleet model.

Last edited:

Marg

Reaction score
Just wanted to add some notes about PAM-D testing...

Never say "everything OK" too early, I launched STS-51G scenarios, 3 PAM-D satellites.
There are times, when everything works, and there are times when not everything works.
I loaded launch scenario:

1) one time everything OK
2) second time - SPIN1 OK, SPIN2 OK, but SPIN4 shows RPM value -1, and when pressing RPM+ satellite disappears.

similar on orbit, actually there was

1) one time OK
2) second time SPIN1 OK, but if I remember SPIN2 showed RPM value 15004,
pressing RPM+, satellite disappeared.

Seems quite random thing, SPIN1 always seems OK, but other SPINtables can "malfunction", I noticed, when I saw RPM "0" for appropriate SPIN, that means - it will work.
If RPM is -1, or 15004, or something like that (non zero value) - a failure will be.

P.S. Maybe that's idea - to simulate random malfunction of spintables, :)

P.S.2 After this post I launch on orbit scenario a couple of times - everything was OK. As I saw RPM values "0" I knew all spin tables will be OK, and it was OK. Hm, really seems random.
So it mostly works, and is not a big issue.

And I launched again several times - everything was OK. So maybe its an Orbiter issue ( I run Orbiter 2016, not BETA) , so after all, nevermind...

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Code:
	// ***** 9. SSME pitch gimbal animations
	double init_gimbal = -10*RAD;
	float max_gimbal = (float)(-0.2*PI);
	anim_ssme = CreateAnimation (init_gimbal/max_gimbal);

static UINT SSMEL_Grp = GRP_SSMEL;
	ssme_anim[0] = new MGROUP_ROTATE (midx, &SSMEL_Grp, 1, _V(-1.55,-0.37,-12.5), _V(-1,0,0), max_gimbal);
	AddAnimationComponent (anim_ssme, 0, 1, ssme_anim[0]);

static UINT SSMER_Grp = GRP_SSMER;
	ssme_anim[1] = new MGROUP_ROTATE (midx, &SSMER_Grp, 1, _V( 1.55,-0.37,-12.5), _V(-1,0,0), max_gimbal);
	AddAnimationComponent (anim_ssme, 0, 1, ssme_anim[1]);

static UINT SSMET_Grp = GRP_SSMET;
	ssme_anim[2] = new MGROUP_ROTATE (midx, &SSMET_Grp, 1, _V(0.0,  2.7, -12.5), _V(-1,0,0), max_gimbal);
	AddAnimationComponent (anim_ssme, 0, 1, ssme_anim[2]);
But the value is not saved or loaded.
Code:
void Atlantis::SetSSMEPosition (double pos)
{
	SetAnimation (anim_ssme, pos);
}

p1tbpuY.jpg

So this is the cargo bay. Shouldn't the side be square rather than slanted in?

so I get this for sts51g1
yws7eqP.jpg

ran the scn 3 times and no issue

I wonder if the KU need to be higher so the dish clears the bay.
HlAYqBB.jpg

So i straighten the sides but noticed the texture for SSu and Atlantis the sides are slanted
nZhh6Xs.jpg

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The KU dish you show, should tilt up, not down in the stowed position. And is tilted in slightly for door clearance.

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's a couple drawings

Attachments

• Ku band DA top.jpg
    Ku band DA top.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 7
  • Ku band DA right.jpg
    Ku band DA right.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 7

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The KU dish you show, should tilt up, not down in the stowed position. And is tilted in slightly for door clearance.
Here's the angle we use for the SSU Ku band assembly:

Deployed Electronics Assembly (DEA, main rectangular silver box): 15°s inboard towards the centerline.

Alpha gimbal boom (the short white boom attached to the DEA): 30°s inboard as seen from the top

Beta gimbal boom along with the dish: 47.8°s downward as seen from the front and 15°s up as seen from the right. Dish itself needs to be rotated 0.7°s outboard as seen from the top.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. looking at the code and some other things:
from SF scn
Code:
  SSMES 1 1.0000
  ADTA 0 0.0000
  PETD 0 0.0000
  SETD 1 1.0000
  PRADIATOR 0 0.0000
  SRADIATOR 0 0.0000
So the way it looks is they are some action so the first number is the stage and the 2nd animation state.

So ATDA I know I need to add. Easy enough to add the go through the hull. But Cutting the hull and making it rotate might take longer.

But from the Atlantis code
Code:
SetAnimation (anim_rad,  plop->RadiatorStatus.pos);
Code:
void Atlantis::SetRadiatorPosition (double pos)
{
    SetAnimation (anim_rad, pos);
}

void Atlantis::SetKuAntennaPosition (double pos)
{
    SetAnimation (anim_kubd, pos);
}

void Atlantis::SetSSMEPosition (double pos)
{
    SetAnimation (anim_ssme, pos);
}
Code:
    static UINT RRadiatorGrp[1] = {GRP_radiatorFR};
    static MGROUP_ROTATE RRadiator (midx, RRadiatorGrp, 1,
        _V(2.88, 1.3, 0), _V(0,0,1), (float)(35.5*RAD));
    static UINT LRadiatorGrp[1] = {GRP_radiatorFL};
    static MGROUP_ROTATE LRadiator (midx, LRadiatorGrp, 1,
        _V(-2.88, 1.3, 0), _V(0,0,1), (float)(-35.5*RAD));

anim_rad = CreateAnimation (0);
    AddAnimationComponent (anim_rad, 0, 1, &RRadiator);
    AddAnimationComponent (anim_rad, 0, 1, &LRadiator);[/CODE

So it looks like may need to break the port/starboard radiatiors into 2 parts.  And are the PETD/SETD the aft radiators? or P/S ETDoor?

So on the key command there are just 1 for ET doors and Radiators.  But the animation is broke into 2.  So from the scn you can have one open/close and the other open/close.  

Do we need 2 keys per ETdoor and Radiators.

And on the ATDA there is a key but do we also want it to deploy if airspeed<mach3(3704.404113km/sec)?[COLOR=Red]

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 AM ----------[/SIZE]

[/COLOR]So got the SSMES to move and PETD ans SETD.  BUT on the radiator.  The Atlantis has both port and Starboard radiator tied together.  
 Should they be separate?  So you could have the port deployed and starboard stowed?

Also maybe do this for the KU band:
[COLOR=unset][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/kmZtODT.jpg[/IMG][/COLOR]

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes they should be, but I don't know if they ever were. Other than testing anyway.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. So really not necessary to have PRADiator and SRAdiator. as the animation for both is the same?

So looking at the air data probe.
probe-1.jpg

WFglvLa.jpg

slanted at 10 degrees.
Wl9r9k4.jpg

PcXVs0n.jpg

I know it is an assembly but I do the animation in two parts. 1st part tile rotates into the hull and the probe piece rotates out. That way the alignment doesn't have to be good.

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 AM ----------

I don't know It might just be easier to use the airprobe as is and just have them come thru the hull.

OBtE664.jpg

PZGRXJC.jpg

MArq if you can sent me your fixed mesh we are go from there.

---------- Post added 12-07-19 at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was 12-06-19 at 03:25 PM ----------

So added the air probes. I also did the interior side of the external hatch. Added the new KU band. But what goes in the red box. It is where the Ku band fits into and above the sill?
b2ysJ8G.jpg

lK1gWVO.jpg

Sure I can put a white box there

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here you go:

Attachments

• Ku_base.jpg
    Ku_base.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 13

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks.
So this is what we get. I think on the airprobe just rotating out with out cutting the nose may be best.
deploying
qnqatyt.jpg

deployed:
oMKN3wt.jpg

stowed.
l1e0wxF.jpg

notice the more dark area. may need to merge points. Need to fix the nose gear.

New payload bay with KU.
QJP0SIr.jpg

Right now I have it all swing out. But I think The dish may need to be rotated on deploy?
Code:
// ***** 3. Ku-band antenna animation *****

static UINT KuBand1Grp[7] = { GRP_DEA_cable_rotating, GRP_Beta_gimbal_boom, GRP_Gimbal_lock_structure, GRP_Alpha_gimbal, GRP_Beta_gimbal_boom, GRP_reciever,GRP_dish };
	static MGROUP_ROTATE KuBand1 (midx, KuBand1Grp, 7,
		_V(2.59, 0.85, 11.727), _V(0, 1, 0), (float)(-113 * RAD));

anim_kubd = CreateAnimation (0);
	AddAnimationComponent (anim_kubd, 0,     1, &KuBand1);

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Right now I have it all swing out. But I think The dish may need to be rotated on deploy?
The dish rotation is part of the Ku band activation procedure. It happens about 2 minutes after powering up the Ku band Electronics Assemblies (EAs). There's two Ku band EAs, EA1 and EA2, both of them live on the middeck. EA1 handles most of the Ku band system including the comm portion while EA2 handles the Rendezvous Radar portion.

The Ku band deploy procedure only rotates the Deployed Assembly (DA) to the deploy position, it doesn't do anything else. Setting up the Ku band system is done through the Ku band activation procedure.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So for a simple KU. activation would be swing out 113 degrees. Then the dish rotates around?