Several problems with multiple add-ons

Arthurnus

Reaction score
I really cant get my heads around with these addons for orbiter. I have so many questions that i do not know where to begin in fact.​

I have orbiter 2010P1 installed on win 7 ultimate (64)​

Orbiter comes with spaceshuttle atlantis. When i use atlantis, it works generally fine. I never have any problems reaching orbit, unless i messed up but then i know i did.​

When i install several addons however, my orbiter engine seems to get broken somewhere. I have countless of addons installed now, and i know there are addons of the shuttlefleet etc (they dont work as for 50% of all addons i try to install)​

so as for the shuttle, im stuck at the default atlantis scenarios.
When i launch my spaceshuttle, it takes first 3-5secons before it actualy gains altitude, while it should lifeoff rightaway after engine ignition, but it doesnt for some reason.​

Then within under 6km altitude its speed doesnt surpass 220meter per second,
its like, that the thrust parameters of the shuttle are messed up,
the srbs drop after 130seconds or so,
that seems okay to me.
but its like the thrust parameters are messed or the earth cfg is set to a highger gravity rate for that matter.​

I dont know whats going on. I cannot maintain angular velocity, because i drop below that point no matter what i try.​

After srbs cutoff i have reached a max of 1,4km/s at 50km altitude and i barely reach a faster velocity, cause by the time i reach 1.5km/s ive dropped trough the atmosphere already.​

it basically mimics a spaceship two concept right now for 2 minutes zero gravity.​

if i use the default configuration of orbiter 2010P1 however without addons installed, i surpass mach 1 before i even entered the stratosphere,
with several addons however, it messes up big time.​

Other launchers work better,​

As for LEO launchers, they seem to get to orbit (as long as i use unlimited fuel or if i refill the tanks trough scenario editor)​

Delta IV and Detla V rockets should get to jupiter, Yet they barely reach LEO realistic parameters.​

My intuition tells me its are messed up earth scenerys, that alter atmosphereic parameters. I simply do not know what else it can be. I must admit to it that i installed quite a bit of scenery addons.​

And i usually overwrite the contents of the orbiter directory.
Maybe its not that strange things are messed up.​

Also i have trouble with alot of other addons.
I download most of them from www.orbithangar.com
and usually most big addons require other addons which they got listed if needed.​

I install all of the required addons, and guess what...
it doesnt work:facepalm:​

Well, some do work. Its not like all those addons fail, but alot of them do.
I seem to miss some general radar, which warns me for failing addons.​

I barely know the structure behind orbiter, its engines and its directories.​

I mean, texture, and texture2 maps. Why 2 texture maps.​

Is there some faq, guide, manual specifically for telling noobs on how to use, find and install addons.​

I know the basic concept is overwriting the content. But like this topic has made clear, that doesnt work.​
'

Now, im not a master in orbiter, but ive send the atlantis spaceshuttle to orbit over many times already,
when addons are installed, im a spaceship two concept.
that problem, is not mine.
as i asked a similar question about the spaceshuttle before on this forum, as i was told to read the manual, which i did. And the few things that i didnt yet know i got explained, and theres zero % improvement.

or theres a fix, or theres a alternative shuttle fleet that actualy works.

so cheers on explaining me:cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I can't help much with the Shuttle problem, as I haven't quite mastered it myself. I may be more apt to help with the add-on installation difficulties. Can you explain how you are exactly installing these addons? It sounds like you are trying to do it manually, since you mentioned getting confused with texture and texture 2 and the like. I would recommend just extracting the add-on download over you orbiter install. You should have to manually move files in most cases. If that doesn't help, I could possible help more if you explain the process by which you install addons.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I've never had any of these problems with the space shuttle but anyone can correct me if i'm wrong about any of the following things I think I sort of know from editing things:

Basic idea of solar system building in Orbiter:
Every star system (usually Sol unless you have some add-ons) is built by it's system configuration file ".cfg"

that system .cfg simply references more specific .cfg files for every body in that system.

This builds the "realm" that your space craft fly in. Every space craft interacts with this "realm" with it's own set of characteristics such as thrust force and fuel capacity ...etc..

there are some more complicated things such as ships that are programed to interact in more specific ways, but that requires programing on the part of the add-on maker (? don't know much about this)

However, because of this, an add-on can't mess up your earth atmosphere unless it specifically comes with a file that DIRECTLY OVERWRITES your "earth.cfg" file, which contains the various characteristics of the earth, such as size, orbit, and atmosphere. Even then, I think Orbiter 2010 even uses yet another separate atmosphere model in an atmosphere.cfg file or something like that. So I highly doubt your vessel add-ons are altering your orbiter "universe" in any way. It may be possible they are referencing something that doesn't exist any more in 2010 p1. you can search for a very popular and constantly updated thread on this site that contains a list of tested and working orbiter add-ons compatible with 2010 p1.

p.s. most add-on developers are VERY GOOD about warning you in their descriptions if your add-on will change something so universal as your earth.cfg and will usually include a back-up file or state that you should make one, and include the file name so you can find it easily

Arthurnus

Reaction score
i also got atmospheric scenerys installed.
I dont know which ones, cause i installed multiple of them.

I wasnt reffering to .cfg for no reason.
In fact i know ive downloaded several addons that involved overwriting the earth .cfg file.

which means i just dont know which addons are good. Because by reading your message, you never mess with the earth.cfg i suppose?

well usually i overwrite that file, and once i found another texture, i overwrite it over the overwritted file and so forth.

Is this perhaps the reason for my problem?

and if it is, which earth atmosphere addon would be suitable to be replaced with? I thought this ment no harm to the physics in the first place. But since you say that overwriting cfg file is a bad thing im beginning to wonder. Really, i have alot of addons installed that involved changes, or overwrites to that file. They never told me about a warning or making a backup for as far as i know.

, and yes i will take a look at that thread.

Last edited:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but if you run the installer that you used to install Orbiter (an .msi file), it will give you the option to repair your installation; that might fix it. Some addons may not work after that (due to resetting some files and settings to default), but it's better to have Orbiter working first, right?

Anyway, in the future, try not to let your install get messy; I recommend some kind of generic mod enabler that auto-backs up the files you're replacing. :thumbup:

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sounds like you should start over, for one thing. :)

I had read in the forums about a program some people were using that would allow you to uninstall any installed add-ons. I don't recall the name of it; I'm sure someone will post the name of it after me. I'd say use that, and then just install one add-on at a time, and see that everything works before going on to the next. If it doesn't, uninstall that add-on and don't use it.

I also keep a backup of a working Orbiter with add-ons, just in case (i.e. I copy the whole Orbiter folder to one called Orbiter Copy). Then if something gets screwed up and I can't figure out how to uninstall the last thing I did (or don't remember what I did), I can go back to a version I know works.

Most if not all of the addons listed at the beginning of the "Add-ons working in Orbiter 2010" thread should work fine and give you little problems. But ALWAYS read any readme file or other documentation before installing, to see if it says it will overwrite anything or if it suggests you back something up, or make a manual modification to a file after installing. Sometimes those can be really important.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I really don't see what would make your Shuttle act that way. Even if you downloaded another model, they are revolved around the same type of flight characteristics and aerodynamics. Are you launching it manually?

Arthurnus

Reaction score
I will, reinstall, and keep better attention this time to possible documentations.
I hope i get further this time.

as for the shuttle, i tried both auto-pilot and manual flight. i succeeded at both, although i must admit that the its a heck of a challenge doing it manually,

the thing is, that with the addons, i get nowhere near the apporpriate height and altitude that i should have,
the auto-pilot is set to drop down to the horizon according to the appropriate velocity over time.
But the velocity isnt appropriate as i mentioned. By the time the shuttle reaches 1,5km/s it already drops down the horizon at 90km altitude at most.

but i hope a reinstall with the addons will work,
ill will let know if it worked or not.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Do you have "Unlimited fuel" unchecked? (EDIT: If unlimited fuel is turned on, the launcher doesn't get lighter and is not able to accelerate fast enough to get into orbit.)