Scenario Editor - Help w/ Space Shuttle

PriestLizard

Reaction score
Hi there!

After "stalking" the board for quite some time, I finally decided I have to register in order to get some help :) Hopefulyl I'm posting this in the right forum... I'm having trouble with the scenario editor and I couldn't figure out how to find the answer for my own.

So my question is: How to I insert a ready-for-take-off Space Shuttle into a running scenario?
-and-
How to I place a module/satelite/Dragonfly into that very Shuttle?

As you might guess I was thinking about a custom scenario where I would bring modules and the Dragonfly to orbit and then use the Dragonfly to build up a new space station. I would launch Atlantis to orbit, land it, re-deploy it for take-off and so on.

Is this even possible? Or do I have to add the shuttles "manually" in the files before I launch orbiter? This way, I would have to launch the shuttles from different locations I guess....

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance. :)

Regards, Priesty

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Here is one way you can do it. In the main scenario file, add different vessels like the shuttle, dragonfly. Then in the scenario editor you can add modules that you have downloaded. You will have to work around with the parameters though. You can also you Space Station Blocks.

PriestLizard

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I wonder though, how become modules attached to the shuttle in the scenario editor (in-mission)? There is no way to "dock" them so the only way I can think of is manually put them in the cargo bay and then just close the bay... will it work like that?

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I am not sure how to do that, but I know that you can edit the configuration file and put the module as a payload.

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
I am not sure how to do that, but I know that you can edit the configuration file and put the module as a payload.

I was wanting to do this very thing. How does one go about doing that?

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
If it is already loaded to the vessel by default you go to the configuration file. Scroll down to the payload part. Find the off coordinates and edit them.

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
you cannot put a prepared shuttle into a running scenario. you'd have to go and put it into the .scn file mannualy. it's a thing with the default atlantis. trust me, i've tried.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
you cannot put a prepared shuttle into a running scenario. you'd have to go and put it into the .scn file mannualy. it's a thing with the default atlantis. trust me, i've tried.

What about scenario Editor?

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
still no. the scenario editor cannot attach objects with attachment points (not docking ports.).

PriestLizard

Reaction score
Okayz... so I have to edit the scenario when I'm not in-game. I guess I can figure that out.. just check how the attachement are specified in other scenarios and then copy it.

So the plan would be like this:
1. Launch the shuttle to transport first cargo.
2. Leave Orbiter. Edit the scenario manually. Insert a new shuttle with new cargo.
3. Launch the new shuttle again.
etc.

---

I have another question related with that: How do I launch the Dragonfly?? I searched the web and the forums and I didnt find any guide on that. Do I need any specific add-on for that? I tried the Vanguard but apparently the Dragonfly cannot be chosen as cargo for the Vanguard (at least in the scenario editor).

Any help with that?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
or use multiple shuttles with cargo loaded in them THEN launch orbiter

PriestLizard

Reaction score
Can the Shuttle be used to launch the Dragonfly? Its really hard for a beginner to find a way through this jungle of add-ons ... there are just too many :( I had to re-install Orbiter several times already because some add-ons mess each other up =/

alrik

Alrik
Reaction score
Universal Cargo its the anwser to placing whatever object into another one. The shuttle problem... its crappy.

PriestLizard

Reaction score
In case anyone else will search for this: I realized that the XR-5 Vanguard can be used to bring the Dragonfly to space. A special add-on is needed for this (found in Orbithanger, just look for Vanguard Dragonfly Payload).

I guess its impossible to transport the Dragonfly with a Shuttle (too big). I have to find out now, which parts can be transported with a shuttle and for which parts I will need the Vanguard again.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Universal Cargo its the anwser to placing whatever object into another one. The shuttle problem... its crappy.

It is? Considering that it works and most people don't have a problem that's a bit of a crappy thing to say. People put a lot of time into addons and deserve support, not insults.

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 ----------

Can the Shuttle be used to launch the Dragonfly? Its really hard for a beginner to find a way through this jungle of add-ons ... there are just too many :( I had to re-install Orbiter several times already because some add-ons mess each other up =/

BACKUPS. I use a ton of addons and don't have this problem. Remember that you get what you pay for.

As for the dragonfly -> [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1077"]PackedDragon[/ame]

PriestLizard

Reaction score
Wow.... PackedDragon seems perfect!! Thank you garyw and thanx to schimz for this awesome mod :)

EDIT. Hmm... seems like PackedDragon is only a graphic placeholder and not the real ship being launched to orbit? So after launching the "placeholder" into orbit, I'd have to add the real Dragonfly via Editor and remove the placeholder? Or is there something wrong with my version? When I start the scenario, I can see the Dragonfly inside the cargo bay, but I cant select it via F3. When I start the ScnEditor though, I can edit/delete the "PackedDragon"... so I guess its supposed to be deleted once it reaches orbit?

I hope someone can clarify because there is no documentation or readme inside the PackedDragon.zip (at least no info related with that inside).

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
The XR-5 has an updated config file for dragonfly payloads: http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3340

I started building my station with the dragonfly and the shuttle, but found it far easier to use the XR-5 to launch the modules and a DGIV fitted with URMS to assemble... the advantage is that if you launch the DGIV into the inclination and altitude you want you can use its transponder to track it down with the XR-5 from a pretty far range.

PriestLizard

Reaction score
The XR-5 has an updated config file for dragonfly payloads: http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3340

I started building my station with the dragonfly and the shuttle, but found it far easier to use the XR-5 to launch the modules and a DGIV fitted with URMS to assemble... the advantage is that if you launch the DGIV into the inclination and altitude you want you can use its transponder to track it down with the XR-5 from a pretty far range.

How did you manage to launch Dragonfly with a shuttle? Is there some add-on for the shuttle needed? I "installed" the PackedDragon Add-on into a rather clean installation of Orbiter w/o any add-ons for the space shuttle. And like I wrote above : The Dragonfly is just a model and not a real vessel so its not like launching the "real" Dragonfly (i.e. if I release it into orbit, I cant select it as a ship).

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
How did you manage to launch Dragonfly with a shuttle? Is there some add-on for the shuttle needed? I "installed" the PackedDragon Add-on into a rather clean installation of Orbiter w/o any add-ons for the space shuttle. And like I wrote above : The Dragonfly is just a model and not a real vessel so its not like launching the "real" Dragonfly (i.e. if I release it into orbit, I cant select it as a ship).
Universal Cargo Deck will work