Saving space with multiple orbiter installations

Marijn

Reaction score
...you can move the Textures and Textures2 directories from one of your installations to some common repository location, delete the Textures and Textures2 directories from your individual orbiter installations, and modify the TextureDir and HightexDir entries in your Orbiter.cfg files to point to the directories in the repository.

But the OrbiterConfig manual on page 3 says that TextureDir and HightexDir are subdirectories.

To me, it seems that both cannot be true. I remember trying to set an absolute path in the Orbiter.cfg but failed to get it to work. I think the manual is right.

I came up with my own solution to save disk space a while ago. I've created an installer .bat script for Orbiter which allows rapid fully modded Orbiter installations with pretty much everything set up, optionally ready for a Mod Manager like JSGME. The script takes care that hi-res textures only exist once on the partition.

It also does some other useful actions like creating a \Sound folder (Vanilla Orbiter does not have a Sound folder in the root, but most add-ons developers assume this folder exists, which breaks the logic of mod Managers). It finishes the installation by deleting the default scenario's, flights, deleting orbiter.exe etc.

The trick is not to copy the content of a hi-res mod repository into the paricular Orbiter installation folder, but to create empty files with the orginal names and folder structure along with a .bat file which has to be run after activating the mod. This .bat file symlinks the dummy files to the actual repository and deletes itself after use.

1) This offers two major advantages: The hi-res add-ons only exist once on a partition regardless of the amount of Orbiter installations.
2) A 32-bit Mod Manager like JSGME can copy the 0Kb files without any problem and is not limited to the 4GB's maximum file size. You can activate and deactivate the mod as many times as you wish.

This way, I can set up fully modded Orbiter installations and launch a scenario first-time-right without any config.

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Any ideas on what I did wrong?

So I don't think you did anything wrong, but the instruction might not be right.

Restore the Textures and Textures2 directories, but put symlinks in them, linking to a repository with the 'actual' files. I put these between quotes, because your OS can't tell the difference between the real and linked file, therefore, you can't either.

Read up on symlinks first, because symlinks can be quite funny if you don't understand them clearly. You might delete your original textures if you don't take care.

Last edited:

thammond

Reaction score
Thanks Marjin,

I got it worked out now. I decided to use the Link Shell Extension program referenced earlier in this thread.

The one thing I'm still not clear about is if there is a different set of hi-res textures for the 2016 Beta vs the regular 2016? Although I linked the hi res textures from my standard 2016 installation into my 2016 Beta and it's working fine.

Marijn

Reaction score
The one thing I'm still not clear about is if there is a different set of hi-res textures for the 2016 Beta vs the regular 2016?

I don't think there is a different set of hi-res textures for the Beta.