Hardware Saitek X55 + Saitek Rudder Pedals, is there any way to get this working except FBW?

andqui

Reaction score
I have a Saitek X55 as well as Saitek rudder pedals. I've tried using FlyByWire, but that doesn't work for the rudder axis on the pedals, nor from the twist action on the X55 stick, it's one of the known bugs. If I enable the joystick setting directly in orbiter, I can select the X55 stick as primary so I get all three axes of control with the twist rudder, but the controls are very slow to return to neutral so the feel is a bit laggy.

Short of buying a new HOTAS/rudder setup, what can I do to get smooth joystick control in Orbiter?

clipper

Reaction score
The lack of proper joystick support is a real pain and it seems like anything more than a bare-bones USB stick with three axes on it and a small throttle like Extreme 3D Pro have compatibility issues. I have a "fancy" VKB stick and no matter how far I go into configuring the thing, I end up with an issue of some sort. So the solution isn't really in getting a new HOTAS, it's in getting something with a simple interface and crappy potentiometers instead of the more accurate contactless sensors.

Of course if I'm wrong, someone should correct me.

schr75

Reaction score
Hi SpecialKaye87

As long as windows recognizes your units it should work. All USB units that is recognized is available for set-up in PPjoy.
I personally use a heavily modded Thrustmaster Cougar joystick and throttle combo, with MFG Crosswind rudder pedals.
Both units are easily configured.
As you can see in the attached pic you can configure all kinds of input to work as a virtual joystick.
I only use the three axis and rotation as the Cougar itself emulates the keyboard commands, but you should be able to configure all the buttons on your Vipril as well, although I don´t know this device so no guarantees;)

PPjoy.jpg

I hope this helped.

Søren

SpecialKaye87

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi SpecialKaye87

As long as windows recognizes your units it should work. All USB units that is recognized is available for set-up in PPjoy.
I personally use a heavily modded Thrustmaster Cougar joystick and throttle combo, with MFG Crosswind rudder pedals.
Both units are easily configured.
As you can see in the attached pic you can configure all kinds of input to work as a virtual joystick.
I only use the three axis and rotation as the Cougar itself emulates the keyboard commands, but you should be able to configure all the buttons on your Vipril as well, although I don´t know this device so no guarantees;)

View attachment 23313

I hope this helped.

Søren
It's not supported by Windows 10 ?

schr75

Reaction score
I didn´t know it wasn´t supported by win10, but good to know as I have to migrate from win7 someday.
As I´m not used to win10 i don´t know this for sure, but can´t you run ppjoy in win7 compatibility mode?

Win7 let´s you emulate older versions.

If this doesn´t work, this might be a solution.
I haven´t tried it my self, but the webpage promises that it can merge all joystick like devices.

Good luck and if it works, please let me know.