Hardware Saitek Rudder Pedal Issue

Gendo

Reaction score
Howdy,

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here, but the FlyByWire 0.91 beta apparently doesn't like my Saitek rudder pedals. It recognizes the toe brakes, but not the rudder axis. This is the original Saitek rudder pedals, not the newer Cessna version. Being an X-Plane simmer, I'm too used to using rudder pedals, and trying to make do with the rudder "twist" axis on my joystick drives me crazy when trying to dock in orbit. lol

Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions, I would much appreciate the assistance.

Scattykat

Reaction score
Hi Gendo,

I had this problem too. I am using a Windows 7 64bit OS and this makes the solution even less elegant than an inelegant workaround.

1/ First of all, you need to download PPJoy, a virtual joystick device driver. I downloaded the latest version from here: https://steel-batallion-64.googlecode.com/files/ppjoysetup-0-8-4-6.exe

2/ However the driver is only test signed and Windows 7 64 bit systems wont allow you to install unapproved drivers. So you need to place Windows 7 in what is known as "Test Mode".

This is done by opening CMD.exe and typing: BCDEDIT -SET TESTSIGNING ON and re-start your PC. You should see the following text in the bottom right hand side of your screen "Test Mode Windows 7 Build 7601"

3/ Now you can install PPJoy - run as Administrator

4/ Once installed, you will need to configure a virtual joystick. I called mine Virtualjoystick1

Open PPJoyJoy joystick mixer for Virtualjoystick1 and configure the axes to your Saitek pedals like so:

PPjoy.PNG

5/ Finally, you can go into FlyByWire 0.91 beta and map your controller (Virtualjoystick1) to the Z rot axis without any hitches

PPJoy will only work when the PC is in Test Mode. So you will either have to keep it permenently in Test Mode or come out of it when finished with Orbiter each time (this is done by opening CMD.exe and typing BCDEDIT -SET TESTSIGNING OFF and takes effect on re-start. ). FWIW, I keep mine in Test Mode all the time.

I believe that the Windows 7 32 bit system doesn't have the same driver signing restrictions as the 64 bit and so should install without needing to go to Test Mode. So this is a bit less inelegant than the above inelegant solution! ;0P

Hope this helps

Last edited: