News ROSAT falls from the sky

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
By the time we see anything coming at us at Mach 5+ it's probably going to be a bit too late.

Take evasive manoeuvers. It may help. At least, psychologically. May take away some of the strain from knowing that German satellite is up there, somewhere, with its solar panels painted bright red and with an Iron Cross stenciled across its hull, waiting to swoop down on its prey.

German satellite. Red panels. Iron cross. Up there. I say evasive manoeuvers are a must.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
DLR said:
Der ROSAT-Wiedereintritt wird im Zeitraum Samstag, 22.10.2011, ca. 23.30 Uhr UTC (Sonntag, 23.10.2011, 01.30 Uhr MESZ) und Sonntag, 23.10.2011, ca. 05:00 Uhr UTC (07.00 Uhr MESZ) erwartet.

This means current reentry window is Sat 23:30 UTC - Sun 05:00 UTC

The last times posted here had been pretty far mixed up.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

German satellite. Red panels. Iron cross. Up there. I say evasive manoeuvers are a must.

German satellites can dive down on you without the need of a half-roll.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Altidue seems to decrease faster than predicted. Reentry is in roughly 3 h

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh! Interesting, we finally do get Sunday ROSAT. :lol:

MattBaker

Reaction score
Current Prediction by STRATCOM is 0204 UTC, at this time ROSAT is over China, maybe you wear a helmet while cycling to work:thumbup:

MattBaker

Reaction score
Next Perigee after the stratcom-prediction-time would be at 0233 UTC
ROSAT would be over the pacific at that time, between 0200 and 0230 it would cross China, southern Russia (between Chabarowsk and Wladiwostok), Sakhalin, and Kamchatka. So, there you could have a nice firework, at the perigee is just water, except french "Clipperton" isle.

But there are currently "non sightings" from Mexico and Ecuador, Rosat was passing the US (unlikely, that it reentered there because of no reports), the northern pacific (nearly no one is there to report, possible) and Japan (also unlikely because of reports)

1:52 UTC: ROSAT will pass southern Burma, western Thailand and China next

2:39 UTC: ROSAT is probably down now, let's start a guessing game, possible areas are: Japan, northern Pacific, western USA, Mexico, Pacific between Mexico and Peru, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Uruguay, southern Atlantic, Indian Ocean, Burma, Thailand, China, eastern Russia or the Pacific. Some could be eliminitated because of no reports of a reentry. My guess is China or the Pacific.

3:01 UTC: DLR confirmed that ROSAT is down, Reentry was between 1:45 UTC and 2:15 UTC. 1:45-1:57 would be the Indian Ocean, 1:57-1:58 Burma and Thailand, 1:58-2:07 China, 2:07-2:15 Russia, Sea of Okhotsk and Bering Sea. Probably STRATCOM's prediction of 02:04 was right, then ROSAT would have struck ~100 km south of Chongqing (30 million inhabitants) or ~30 km north of Zunyi (7 million inhabitants; known for the Zunyi Conference)

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
shoot I was hoping for North West US so that I could go on a debris expidition