Project Rockot launcher

hark

Reaction score
That's looking awful nice for someone just getting into modeling - looks like you're having fun.
Nice clean, sensible model so far. The details get to be a riot once you get going, enjoy!

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Just a small update:

I've got the first stage up and running in Obiter. There's still a lot to do like texturing and place the exhaust flames/smoke in the right position, but this is the first time I really coded (as fas as you can call it coded with Multistage) a spacecraft. Of course I edited something like the payload before, but never the whole code. I'm pretty proud at myself :lol:

To do list:
Texturing (stage 1, stage 2, stage 3, fairings),
implant everything in Orbiter,
make some interesting scenario's

Far from release and a lot to do... but, slowly but sure... progress :thumbup:

IronRain

Last edited:

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just a small update:

I've got the first stage up and running in Obiter. There's still a lot to do like texturing and place the exhaust flames/smoke in the right position, but this is the first time I really coded (as fas as you can call it coded with Multistage) a spacecraft. Of course I edited something like the payload before, but never the whole code. I'm pretty proud at myself :lol:

To do list:
Texturing (stage 1, stage 2, stage 3, fairings),
implant everything in Orbiter,
make some interesting scenario's

Far from release and a lot to do... but, slowly but sure... progress :thumbup:

IronRain

Keep it up! As a proud user of Multistage, I know you can go surprisingly far with it, even simulating an escape tower. It's not a cop-out to use multistage2.dll. Keeps you focused on the rocket design, so you don't have to learn c++ coding alongside the meshing, texturing, scenario design, etc. etc. etc....

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
okay... I screwed it up a little bit.

I reinstalled Windows 7 and thought I backed up my Anim8or map... Well I did backed it up but the file is corrupted. Then I tried to get it back with a program but it's overwritten by a game.... I've lost hours of work :(

Well, lets look at the bright side of it:

• I'm more experienced then the first time I started the project
  • I wasn't satisfied about the mesh anyway
  • I have Christmas vacation at the moment so that means I've got more time then normal
Time to start again... I'm sorry guys

Derk

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Please consider going out, this is a vacation after all :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Do you plan making a DLL after the Multistage2 version? Since you already do the meshes again, why not also make the physical model of the add-on again...maybe with attachments or Kulchs payload manager.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Well, maybe in a later version. I'm also pretty busy for school learning all kind of codes and stuff so free time is limited to learn coding vessels ;)

Last edited:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
An update again:

I'm done with the basics of the meshes again:

Redone everything. The meshes are looking better now. I've also read more info about the Rockot so it's more realistic too.

First stage:

It's hard to see, but the engines are a bit tilted, just like the real engines. I still need to add the steering mechanism (lost the name for it in spaceflight language), but this will only be visual (for now).

Here comes the part that I like the most:

The third stage. Improved a lot in this version. And, as you can see, I've added small vernier engines. It was a little challenge for me, but I'm quite satisfied about it.

There is something I can't figure out; How much vernier engines has the second stage? 2 or 4? Could someone tell me that please? :tiphat:

That's it for now!

Derk :cheers:

Last edited:

Thorton

sense offender
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I dont see any pictures in post above.

2nd stage have 2 engines - RD-0235 and RD-0236
1941278680.jpg

Thorton

sense offender
Addon Developer
Reaction score
RD-0235 has one combustion chamber, but RD-0236 is four chamber engine.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Having some problems:

This are the second stage and the 'holder' for the third stage. As you can see, somehow, the holder doesn't fit on the second stage anymore. I already found out that the second stage is not its original size anymore (by creating a cylinder and give it the same diameter that the second stage should be).

2 questions:

1 How did this happened? I haven't scaled the second stage as far as I know, and this is a problem that I've had a couple of times now. Previously, I just created the second stage (or whatever object it occurred on) again, but I'm a bit tired of this now.

2 Is there a simple way to solve this problem. I already tried scaling it (the holder) and point edit all the lines to match lines on the second stage, but when I edit them, they don't fit anymore when I turn the object 90 degrees.

PhantomCruiser already said to me that I could scale the object in MeshWizard, but I want them to be aligned in Anim8or too.

Somebody know how to solve this?

Derk

EDIT: Already found the problem maker. Somehow, when I use the Shell edit mode in Point editing on the holder, it also uses that mode on the second stage, so they didn't fit anymore when I was done. Solution: Edit the holder as an separate object.

EDIT 2: Never mind, still having the problems. It's seriously stressing me out :compbash:

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Seriously, I've redone the whole second stage + holder. Made sure that I didn't scaled anything and now, the holder fits exactly on the second stage, but the second stage not on the first stage. I've rechecked the diameter with a cylinder, and both the first and second stage are not what they are supposed to be... I'm really angry at the moment because I've worked very hard on everything, and now it doesn't fit. Is it maybe because change the zoom all the time?!

---------- Post added 01-02-11 at 02:12 PM ---------- Previous post was 01-01-11 at 10:30 PM ----------

After some frustrations from yesterday, I resumed the modeling this morning. I've also wrote the Mulistage code and tada:

Up and running in Orbiter :)

This was just to see how the meshes are fitting together in Orbiter and I came to the same problem I had yesterday:

Some parts just don't fit on each other. I've got to find a solution for that. I think I'm going to try some things with MeshWizard, just like PhatomCruiser mentioned.

I'm also not very satisfied about the fairing, so I think I'm going to redo them..

Derk

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hey! That's looking pretty nice.
I think the :probe: will be happy.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Maybe the stock Orbiter distribution could include bigger launchpad textures ^^

Great work for the launcher :thumbup:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Well, lets throw another update online. I didn't had much time lately because of my IT training. Well, some of you might not believe it (because of some questions I have asked..) but I've passed the first semester and now I'm able to do one of the highest levels of IT trainings in Holland :)... btw, is it me, or is my English worsening..?

Anyway, I've had another surgery on my back so I can't sit, I have a lot of pain and I have a vacuum pump sucking at the wound... This means I can't go to school (because of the pain and because the doctor says so) which means I've got a lot of time for modeling... so here are some updates;

This one should be clear to see for your self, the meshes are smoother.

The whole stack together. I've also redone the third stage (again -.-') with another technique which is far easier then I did before, and it looks better.

The first and second stage are now scaled correctly. I still need to do the new third stage. I also need to re-scale the fairing and rotate them because they doesn't separate correctly now.

I'm afraid that I also need to do something I've had delayed for a long time now... textures o_O

I've noticed that I can use some techniques now that I couldn't do earlier, like the third stage.. quite happy about that fact ;)

That's about it for now...

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Congratulations on solving meshing issues :thumbup:

edsupagood

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score