Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Man, I have always wanted to post my own Project thread :lol:
Well, here it is.

I'm going to develop the Rockot launcher. Well, at least I'm going to try. Thanks to ar81's tutorial and help of PhatomCruiser, I know the basics to make an add-on in Anim8or. I will give updates in this thread and maybe ask for help.

Information about the Rockot launcher
The Rockot launcher is not really well known. Rckot is a three stage liquid propellant launcher based on the Russian SS-19 Intercontinental Ballistic Missile which provides Rockot with its first and second stages. Combined with the Breeze-KM upperstage it can reach LEO (with a max payload of 1950 kg). It's owned by EUROCKOT. The company is established in Germany, but the launches are being performed in Plesetsk. The total length of the rocket is 29 m and the diameter is 2.5 m. The diameter of the faring is 2.6 m and the height is 6.7 m.

rockotpad.jpg

I'm going to try not to make this a project which will be abandoned in a couple of weeks/months, but I don't promise anything.

Well, I hope I can do it :lol:

Derk :cheers:

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I learned that patience (and a bit of foul language sometimes) can help wonders. I can't tell you how many times I've redone a section of my Athena (mainly the second Orbus stage), and I'm still not happy with the third stage appearance.

Be persistant!

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Last edited:

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Will you do both civilian and non-civilian versions?

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Since Minuteman addons, they do look cool :)

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Will you do both civilian and non-civilian versions?

Civilian version? I can't find any info on a civilian version.. So the answer is only non-civilian :thumbup: (for now ;))

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

Development so far:

I have now roughly modeled the first and second stage. I will now make a rough model of the Breeze-KM third stage... I'm not sure about the specs.. Since it fits exactly on the second stage of Rockot, I guess that the diameter is 2.5 m. I have found the image attached below. I will use this for visual modeling.

And another note: A huge thanks to PhantomCruiser! Without him I was still stuck on editing some faces ^^

probasep.jpg

Last edited:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
why is everyone talking about underground silo's? :shifty:
Dnepr is launched from underground silo's. Rockot has a real launchpad with an umbilical tower and a service structure.. :)

rockot%20pad.jpg

Last edited:

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
why is everyone talking about underground silo's? :shifty:
Dnepr is launched from underground silo's. Rockot has a real launchpad with an umbilical tower and a service structure.. :)

Yes, of course. I thought Wishbone meant the original UR-100N (15A30, SS-19) missile by a "non-civilian version".

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
oo okay.. my bad ^^ if that's the case.. then I'm going to make a civil version ;)

Last edited:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
found the info I needed for the Breeze-KM third stage. The modeling is quite hard (at least for a beginner) so I make a temporary one for now.

brizkm.png

(not finished yet)

---------- Post added 11-09-10 at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was 11-08-10 at 08:32 PM ----------

Okay, question for you guys:

I've remodeled the third stage, and I'm quite satisfied about it (for now). I've made it so, that it is "inside" the second stage. Now I came across this image:

Cryosat_Rockot3_H.jpg

As you can see, the third stage is atop of the second stage. Can anyone of you tell me if the third stage is stored inside the second stage or rests atop of the second stage during launch?

After some thinking I think it makes more sense that it's placed atop of the second stage, otherwise you have a very little room for fuel in the second stage... I'm not sure though..

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Just what I needed. Thanks!:tiphat:

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

Didn't had much time for modeling today. This is what I've got so far:

stages.png

Maybe it doesn't look much, but I'm quite satisfied about it, since it's my first time ever that I'm modeling something.

of course I need to add the fairing and some details like small fuel tanks and latches that are holding the stages together. But I'm making progress, and like I said, I'm quite satisfied about it

Derk :hello:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
roughlydone.png

Fairings done. Now I will focus on some details. I guess I will be busy with that for a couple of days. I don't have much time though. I need to catch up with school since I'm already 3 weeks home after a surgery. And I need another small operation next week.. but I'll be back :ninja:

Derk :cheers:

Last edited:

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
roughlydone.png

Fairings done. Now I will focus on some details. I guess I will be busy with that for a couple of days. I don't have much time though. I need to catch up with school since I'm already 3 weeks home after a surgery. And I need another small operations next week.. but I'll be back :ninja:

Hope you get better soon!