Ripping off Orbiter????

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
http://www.space-shuttle-mission.com/index.html

Anyone can tell me how this is NOT the Orbiter engine/models?

Thanks!
It isn't. It's(the graphics engine) far more advanced. And the models are their own work except for the ET/SRBs which is commericial 3D models available for purchase here: http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/space-shuttle-external-tank-3d-max/267087

SRB:
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/ma-space-shuttle-solid-rocket-booster/267088

So how did you come to the conclusion that SSM2007 was taken from Orbiter? I cannot find anything in it that's even close to Orbiter.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It isn't. It's(the graphics engine) far more advanced.

From what I can tell not more advanced, but different. Orbiter is historically allowing different stuff to be rendered (SSM2007 also lacks all modern gizmos which make game development cool)

globalist

Reaction score
I'm installing the demo right now, it just struck me as an Orbiter ripoff from the first look at the screenshots and the video. You even get the FPS counter and camera object name in the upper right corner of the screen in external view...

We've all seen cases of people trying to make a buck off of Martin's work now havent' we? :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm installing the demo right now, it just struck me as an Orbiter ripoff from the first look at the screenshots and the video. You even get the FPS counter and camera object name in the upper right corner of the screen in external view...

Yeah, but it looks different and has a different history - was created from the S3 shuttle simulator, AFAIK.

We've all seen cases of people trying to make a buck off of Martin's work now havent' we? :)

Yeah, but these work different. They also rip off Stellarium and Celestia - or anyother freeware or open-source software.

EliNaut

Reaction score
My god when I saw the first picture of the shuttle on the pad I almost threw up.
Indeed it looks remarkably similar - there are some differences in the shuttle mesh - either that or its the textures. The atmosphere is a bit below orbiter, and the sun effects are obviously unique to it. Can't really tell about the ISS mesh, since I don't have or have seen the ISS in that stage of completion in Orbiter (or at least with the tilted radiators, with exception of ISSE).
Another scary similarity is the timer/fps counter in the upper right corner O_O

I don't like the smell of this.
Oh... thats.. my toast burning... aha!

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Gotta love unsubstantiated conspiracy theories... ;)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The reason SSM looks like Orbiter is because they're both based on real life.

One could say that Orbiter is a ripoff of real life just like SSM is. They're based on the same thing, of course they will have similarities.

It'd be like flying a Cessna in FSX and saying it's a ripoff of FlightGear, which also has a Cessna. Sure they look the same in a lot of aspects--they're based on the same thing.

The easy way to see that SSM is not a ripoff of Orbiter is that Orbiter can do more than SSM. SSM is limited to only historical shuttle missions, you can't even do planned or contigency missions as far as I know.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The reason SSM looks like Orbiter is because they're both based on real life.

Exactly.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
In order for this to be an Orbiter ripoff, the Orbiter source code would need to have been stolen... And last I heard, Martin has organized a large militia of brave volunteers to prevent such an occurrence. And a three-headed dog.

Nerull

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My god when I saw the first picture of the shuttle on the pad I almost threw up.
Indeed it looks remarkably similar - there are some differences in the shuttle mesh - either that or its the textures. The atmosphere is a bit below orbiter, and the sun effects are obviously unique to it. Can't really tell about the ISS mesh, since I don't have or have seen the ISS in that stage of completion in Orbiter (or at least with the tilted radiators, with exception of ISSE).
Another scary similarity is the timer/fps counter in the upper right corner O_O

I don't like the smell of this.
Oh... thats.. my toast burning... aha!
You might find this hard to believe, but there is this real spacecraft, with wings and everything that, get this, Orbiter's models are based on!

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Don't annoy the SSM people. It's creator will have another attack of 'the rage' and start calling us all names...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Don't annoy the SSM people. It's creator will have another attack of 'the rage' and start calling us all names...

Yeah. Especially if we say "we can do it, too"

Pantz Ninja

Reaction score
I would not even call that game a "sim", because you can launch straight up until your boosters separate and you drop the external tank, and all of a sudden...your orbiting earth??? I mean its nice to have all the switches in the Cockpit but its far from realistic.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Isn't this the second time someone has started a thread saying that SSM is a ripoff of Orbiter? The screenshots don't even really look like Orbiter, except maybe for a few showing the Cape, but even that doesn't look like the Cape in my install, the closest I've seen to the screenshots on the SSM site is screenies of high-res Canaveral addons, which I generally don't bother with.

I recall a few threads from M6 discussing people DLing Orbiter, hacking it to change the splash screen, change the name, and erase all mention of Martin, burning it onto CD's and selling it on E-bay. This is nothing like that. Save your ire for the next time someone comes along who really *is* ripping off Orbiter.