Return of Grand Explorations...TBR

missleman01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Howdy Gang,

Its been forever since Ive devoted a lot of time in orbiter development and a while since ive come and poked around seriously in the forum.

Carl romanik had contacted me about working on getting all of the grand explorations mission updated and ive since failed to get return emails from him. Carl had been interesed in doing the updates (which I do not have time to do in thier entirety).

Carl if youre out there please respond so we can coordinate. This thread is designed to continue that work.

Untill then, I have fished out my old files and have several mesh updates that were never released including a brand new Atlas Centaur, Pioneer 10/11 mesh, and Voyager. They feature texture updates (including the famous golden record on voyager) and are shown below as examples.

pioneer%20and%20voy.jpg

I would like to at least get these two going, if not others. Untill I can get more updates from Carl this is To Be Reviewed...

Also, let me know if there is widespread interest in the community to get these updated.

Chode

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi missleman01,

Carl here. Good to hear from you. I think one of my e-mail accounts has been mis-behaving, so I apologize for my lack of communication. Check your private messages, I'll send you alternate e-mails.

I plan on a rather extensive update which will include:

* Updating the configs to work with the latest Orbiter version and utilize spacecraft3 and multistage2.

* Correcting and enhancing meshes and textures as needed to give improved appearances of spacecraft and launch vehicles.

* Creating new, more detailed launch complexes.

* Making launch autopilot files for all launches.

* Making a number of scenarios for each mission that will place you at major events in each mission.

I am planning on releasing the missions in chronological order, with the first release being for Pioneer 10 and 11. This should be finished in a few weeks time. I would also be interested to hear from others who are interested in these missions.

Regards

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wonderful news! Historical interplanetary missions are my major interest in Orbiter and I've always been a big fan the Grand Explorations add-ons. Go for it guys!

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Any chance of doing the Vikings? I would really like to fly those mssions

Chode

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Any chance of doing the Vikings? I would really like to fly those mssions

The current plan is release the GEP missions in chronological order, which would be:

1) Pioneer 10 & 11 to Jupiter and Saturn
2) Mariner 10 to Venus and Mercury
3) Viking 1 & 2, orbiting and landing on Mars
4) Voyager 1 & 2 to Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune
5) Magellan to orbit Venus
6) Galileo to orbit Jupiter
7) Ulysses to polar-solar orbit via Jupiter
8) NEAR to orbit Near-Earth asteroid Eros
9) Cassini-Huygens to orbit Saturn, land on Titan

Regards

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Fantastic, look forward to it immensely. If you need any help with betatesting or such, drop me a line

Chipstone306

Reaction score
What about updating the Venera mission to venus addon? Why fly round venus when you can land! (albeit for a very short operational time)

Last edited:

missleman01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
To update, Carl is taking Pioneer 10 in a big way. I transfered my old files to him and he is going to be taking his new build stuff and taking what he likes from my set.

I, in the meantime, am going to get Voyager back out... I went back to my last unfinished update and started again...

Here are some screenies of my as yet unreleased Titan 3E meshes and the new Voyager.

titan34d.jpg

voyager%20zoom.jpg

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
Wow! I am really impressed on the detail of Voyager.

Graham2001

Reaction score
I was just wondering how this was going, things look great so far.

Jumper_001

Reaction score
If you want some more detailed textures for the Voyager model, I can go take some pictures of the Voyager flight spare on display in Von Karmen Auditorium at JPL.

Graham2001

Reaction score
Just wondering how this is coming along.

Spotted something on Wikipedia that could be incorporated into the Pioneer 10/11 addon with little difficulty.

Pioneer H was a proposed follow on mission using the Pioneer 10 flight spare, it would have flown by Jupiter in June 1975 & then been sent into an orbit not dissimilar to the one flown by Ulysses in the 1990's.

The link below is to the mission study.

Pioneer H Jupiter swingby out-of-the-ecliptic: Mission study, 1971

SpaceEagle

GEP Reborn Project Manager
Reaction score
Sir missileman? Are you hearing this? I'm going to update this and I need your new meshes.
Can you respond to this ASAP?