Restless Spacecraft in Orbiter 2016

SpaceCowboyJoe

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I tested Orbiter 2016 for a couple flight (XR2 vessel basically) and I'm having so much fun.

I've noticed it's almost impossible to stop a spacecraft. This is particulary evident with the XR2 but it happens the same to me with the Shuttle-A.

It's obviously a bug and I see other mentioning it. Here is more about solving the problem "temporary" untill it will be fixed.

I've considered the possibility to manually change the spacecraft status in the .scn from orbiting to landed.

Does any of you know/imagine how to deal with it?

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Slamming on the breaks seems to work to get the XR2 to stop.

SpaceCowboyJoe

Reaction score
Slamming on the breaks seems to work to get the XR2 to stop.

Does it? Because once getting to about 0.2 / 0.3 meter per second it starts back twisting and moving around...
and on the moon is even worse

SpaceCowboyJoe

Reaction score
I managed to make this stop happening when I can totally stop the vessel. But it's very hard to reproduce.
Basically when the vessel totally stopped (tass 0.00) it will not move anymore...
very weird.

In any case I'm going to report as you suggest

turtle91

Reaction score
Yes, I have had such issues on the moon, too.(RCS+brake helped after many many tries)
A really good testing area is the recenly released Ascension-Island scenery.
The landing-pad sits on some bumpy terrain.
I was able top stop all default-vessles, but got no luck with XR2 and XR1.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sounds like Doug should tweak the friction parameters for the landing gear a bit.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
It's not a matter of the friction settings -- see this post. This appears to be an Orbiter core issue, and it happens in the Shuttle-A as well.

turtle91

Reaction score
Strange, I was not able to reproduce the issue, using the (full loaded) ShuttleA, Atlantis, ShuttlePB and the DG + DG-S.

I have tested this locations:
Moon: Brighton Beach Pad 1 = all default vessels can be stopped using brakes
Mars: Olympus Pad 1 = same like above
KSC RW 33: same like above
Ascension Island Pad 1 ( as an extreme test) = same as above

In XR2 ad XR1 there is no (default/non-cheating) way for me to stop the vessels using brakes at:
Ascension Island Pad1
Moon Brighton Beach various pads
KSC: no problem, brakes can stop the vessels until "landed/IDLE" state has been registered in Orbiter.

SpaceCowboyJoe

Reaction score
For whoever gets to this thread I found thiw workaround till we have a better solution:

- Dont pause the game
- Open the scenario Editor (in 2016 you have it enabled in the function button toolbar on top center screen)
- Leave everithing as default and just add one hour and return back to current time and...

Eduard

Reaction score
One problem with incompletely stopped vessels is that time warp is very unstable.
An incompletely stopped vessels often shoots in to space when timewarping to fast.
Orbiter cannot correctly handle that.

I have now reported a related problem with the "Atmospheric wind effects" here:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/project.php?issueid=1287

I also added a reference to this thread, so that martins will can read this problem too.

Floater

Reaction score
Confirming: there is a problem with stopping vessels in 2016 version. XR vessels has been patched but the problem still occurs for other crafts, for example for the cargo.

When the vessel is placed by means of ScnEditor everything is ok, but if it is placed by means of unloading - even small degree of terrain inclination is enough for the vessel to never stop - it slides away instead.

Such a vessel is not considered landed. It can be seen in the Lua script and in the scenario file (if such a file is saved while the vessel is sliding).

Last edited:

replicant

The Wanderer
Reaction score
I will confirm that also. I was trying the titan rocket in orbiter 2016. As part of the guidance file, the engine is set to go about 20% for a few seconds to simulate ignition and runup. This makes the rocket drift and it will not stop. even 1% power will make it drift and keep sliding, as if there is no landed friction at all. This is at cape Kennedy, and there is very slight terrain elevation there.

Also curious thus far why the multistage 2015 HUD seems to CTD 2016

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I will confirm that also. I was trying the titan rocket in orbiter 2016. As part of the guidance file, the engine is set to go about 20% for a few seconds to simulate ignition and runup. This makes the rocket drift and it will not stop. even 1% power will make it drift and keep sliding, as if there is no landed friction at all. This is at cape Kennedy, and there is very slight terrain elevation there.

Also curious thus far why the multistage 2015 HUD seems to CTD 2016

you have to update the module of multistage2015 to the new orbiter version. it's still work in progress but almost done, you can download it from here :

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=542763&postcount=521

It will be released officially soon anyway