Resource: Foil Textures

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
I posted this on Meadville so I thought I would post it here in case others were using that old foil texture.

I was frankly shocked to see that "OLD" style still in use even with some projects, I thought several types of foil making efforts ended the use of in my view HORRID looking foil texture long ago. Sadly it seems not.

Ok, so I made some foil texture images in both basic and seamless form via images from KSC which are normally public domain (Outside of the normal privacy and trademark laws of course (Don't take a photo of someone and put their face in a game without their permission!) )

You may have seen them on M6 before but my old server went out so I will just upload the zip files here with the hope y'all will use them in projects here and elseware.

The textures are public domain. I request credit for the image work but it is not required seeing as they are images made with photos from a public space program.

Note: Zip files were scanned with AVG 8 prior to upload for safety. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVG_(software)

Attachments

• Seamless.zip
    421.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Nonseamless.zip
    785.2 KB · Views: 29

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks Zach - more foil textures are always welcome!

A couple of points you might consider....

I think image sizes need to be in multiples of 4, like 64 x 128 or 256 x 256, etc before you can use dxTex to convert them to .dds - not a problem for those who have Photoshop, but I'm not sure how easy it is to resize images using Windows Paint or whatever. You might consider including the .dds conversions in your pack as well.

Any hi-res textures (512 x 512) would be most welcome, also.

Cheers,
Brian

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
For DTex it must be a multiple of 2. Unless I'm trying to texture something big, I use 128X256. My standard is 512X512.
For realy big ships, the larger the texture (1024x1024 or 512x1024), the more detail will show as it isn't getting as stretched out as a smaller texture would.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Hey gang,

I've been surfing through the texture dumps and libraries and have found a few that will work. I'm finding a lot more aluminum foil textures than gold ones, but can easily tweak the colors in Photoshop. Would you like me to post them here for you when I've got a few to choose from? They'll be 256x512.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
For DTex it must be a multiple of 2. Unless I'm trying to texture something big, I use 128X256. My standard is 512X512.
For realy big ships, the larger the texture (1024x1024 or 512x1024), the more detail will show as it isn't getting as stretched out as a smaller texture would.

Now you are applying them like tiles right? That is why I made them seamless.

Thanks for the size info yall! This is going to help!

Edit: n0mad23 yes you can post them. Making them Public Domain as well would be nice however.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Foil Textures

Here we go. All from public domain sources, so we're in copyright freeland!

To those astute individuals, you'll note that many of these textures are suspiciously similar. I've taken the aluminum foil and changed the color to make them gold.

Enjoy

Attachments

• Aluminum Foil.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • Gold Foil.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 15