Project ReShade for Orbiter D3D9 (WIP Thread)

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
As you may have seen, I have posted several screenshots with a custom ReShade configuration for Orbiter. I tested it with Orbiter 2015, but Orbiter 2010 should run as well.
04toUJs.jpg

(more)

Requirements
This configuration has been created with and requires jarmonik's D3D9 client. Get it here: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=508249&postcount=3165 or here (2015 beta versions): http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=18431
Thanks Ripley for the correct links!

Installation
As I don't think the Reshade binaries are redistribuable, go get your own Reshade install here: http://reshade.me/

You don't need everything from the zip file, as it also contains Mediator, a small app that allows you to easily apply Reshade to games. Instead, extract ReShade.fx, Reshade32.dll and the ReShade folder to [Orbiter Folder]/Modules/Server. Then, rename Reshade32.dll to d3d9.dll.

Then, unzip my ReShade configuration into the ReShade folder, and confirm any overwrite request.

Open Orbiter, and in the D3D9 Advanced Settings, disable Anti-Aliasing to let ReShade gain access to the Depth Buffer, allowing it to add SSAO and DoF effects. Don't worry though, there's a FXAA technique, so lines won't be aliased anyway.
That step however is only necessary if you want to have those effects in. If the depth buffer isn't found they will disable themselves for better performance.

You may also want to make the Sun bigger than its default size, this has the effect of resizing the sun texture and make it bigger, and that in turns allows the shaders to pick it up as a light source.

Using ReShade and the orbiter configuration
ScrollLock toggles the main screen effects.
F12 toggles the DoF / Focus Blur effect.
F10 show the Depth Buffer.

Have fun and please have some feedback! I'm still tweaking this anyway ;)

Attachments

• ReShadeForOrbiter.zip
    33.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but can you tell me what Scroll key is? My keyboard has scroll lock key but it doesn't work.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not being able to make it work
That is most interesting. I've read your PM stating you did all the necessary steps. Normally in the upper left there should be a message displaying ReShade's version, the MasterEffect shader suite, and the compilation state of the shaders. Do you get that? It appears when Orbiter is loading.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but can you tell me what Scroll key is? My keyboard has scroll lock key but it doesn't work.
My bad, wrote this before getting to bed. Edited the post, and I meant the Scroll Lock key.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Edited the post, and I meant the Scroll Lock key.

Those still exist? *looks at keyboard* Oh hey there little fellow, haven't noticed you since the late 80s... :lol:

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah. There was no message from reshade.
Is that because of windows 10, or bcoz of some settings i have applied from the driver for orbiter_ng.exe?
Then i will delete its profile from amd overdrive, and see if it works.
I also read reshade's readme, and placed the reshade32.dll, in orbiter root, and then renamed it to d3d9.dll. Still no success. As last resort, i placed the entire reshade folder in d3d9client's shader folder as well. Still no success

---------- Post added at 08:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

The dof effect and ambient occlusion, especially behind the VAB is absolutely amazing!

What is the pic with the shuttle a showcasing anyway?

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
I believe I followed every step you specified but it doesn't work. I can't see any differences or messages.
I'm using Windows7 64bit.

from left to right: Modules/Server folder, Reshade folder, video tab and advanced.
Reshade.png

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I believe I followed every step you specified but it doesn't work. I can't see any differences or messages.
I'm using Windows7 64bit.

from left to right: Modules/Server folder, Reshade folder, video tab and advanced.
View attachment 14248

[Facepalms hard] :facepalm: :facepalm:
Yeah, I did forget an important part of the thing: take the actual injector DLL ...

So what you have to do is take Reshade32.dll from the zip file and place it in the Modules/Server folder, then rename it to d3d9.dll.

I uh... Will be hiding in this corner over here...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, it's surely noticeable nowadays while using Linux.

Huh... I'm working in Linux every working day for a few months now, but it never occured to me that that button might still do its original job! :facepalm:

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok, It works now. But why is it so dark?
I saw the d3d9 log. It shows that it loads using dx11, and d3d8, 9, 10, 12 are delayed.

I dont know, dx11 for orbiter has been dark before in my computer. When I used asmi's dx 11 client for orbiter beta, it also had the same dark issue. But then, that time's d3d9 client was dark too. That has been fixed now.

So, for now, is there anyway for me to change reshade's brightness, or contrast, or gamma levels by editing some lines in some .fx file?

And, the virtual cockpit gives very bad performance. In general d3d9, it gives 120-150 fps in earth landed external view, and 80 fps in vc.

Using reshade, i get 50-60fps in earth landed external view, and 25-30 fps in vc

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

And it is difficult to read text on the corners of the screen, even with dof off.
They become blurred, the time, fps counter, etc., as if they are being seen through a fish eye lense; even without changing orbiter's field of view

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok, It works now. But why is it so dark?
I saw the d3d9 log. It shows that it loads using dx11, and d3d8, 9, 10, 12 are delayed.

I dont know, dx11 for orbiter has been dark before in my computer. When I used asmi's dx 11 client for orbiter beta, it also had the same dark issue. But then, that time's d3d9 client was dark too. That has been fixed now.
That is out of my range with ReShade, and since it grabs the output to the screen right before it is shown to the display, increasing brightness would result in ugly artifacts. You could try to find the Lift Gamma Gain shader parameters and try to mess around with the values, but the end result won't be too promising.

The virtual cockpit gives very bad performance. In general d3d9, it gives 120-150 fps in earth landed external view, and 80 fps in vc.

Using reshade, i get 50-60fps in earth landed external view, and 25-30 fps in vc
Known issue, but irresolvable for me. The way the Depth Buffer is handled in the D3D9 client makes computing soft shadows (from SSAO) quite hard, and that results in massive drops in framerate. So, stick to the 2D or Glass Panel.

And it is difficult to read text on the corners of the screen, even with dof off.
They become blurred, the time, fps counter, etc., as if they are being seen through a fish eye lense; even without changing orbiter's field of view

This is from the Chromatic Aberration effect. It simulates lenses imperfections by shifting the colors on the edges of the picture slightly. It is subtle but adds to the quality; the only problems are text in the corner. This is why you have a key that toggles ReShade on and off, at anytime if you want to read something that is blurred by something else, you can disable it temporarily.
There also is an effect mask I could setup that would prevent ReShade from having an effect where text is located, but once again, it would look pretty bad when the text disappears.

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
sorry to say, solarliner, but with the latest version of the orbiter beta(r51) and latest d3d9client(beta20 for r51), reshade is giving worse and worse performance. dont know why, mayb bcause of some changes to orbiter and the client performance. so, with a heavy heart, i am removing reshade from my orbiter installation. it was good fun to use it

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
here is one message that shows up
is it an error, or the cause of performance hits? it used to how up earlier too

Attachments

• orbiter 2016-02-14 10-09-34-86.png
    orbiter 2016-02-14 10-09-34-86.png
    475.9 KB · Views: 87

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You're missing a texture in the installation. It's from the color correction part, and it's actually my fault because it's a file I didn't include in the package.

So below are the new archive with included changes (along with the WIP Night Vision shader), and a patch if you just want the changes.

Attachments

• ReShadeForOrbiter.zip
    47 KB · Views: 67
  • ReShadeForOrbiter_Patch.zip
    8.9 KB · Views: 57

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Any way to get rid of the blur that is one the sides of the viewscreen of the game?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Does this still work in 2016. I can't get it to actually apply any effects. Reshade loads, but doesn't appear to do anything.