Remembrance Day

Staiduk

Reaction score
I attended Remembrance Day for the first time in twenty years today. For 20 years I have wanted to attend but was too uncertain and nervous - read: "cowardly" - to attend.

I went because my girlfriend Tracy's 13-year-old son was marching for the first time as an Army Cadet and she was bursting with pride.

It turned out to be a greater moment than any I could ever have imagined. I dressed properly; in blazer, tie, green beret and medals. I was VERY nervous about placing my Airborne jump wings over my left breast; it is not, strictly speaking, legal. I was a Paratrooper at the time in Canada's history when the Airborne - Canada's magnificent spec-ops fighting force - was maligned, belittled and hated by the media and Canada's public. But my Wings are not mere symbols of my Paratrooper status. I was given them by members of the British Army One Paras. My wings are Bloodwings. No documentation exists on the Internet that explains what Bloodwings are. But if you can research it well enough, you will know why I am so willing to fight and die for their honour. (EDIT: Uh...All that is correct but Dave is worried that Edward (my alternate personality...I am a split-personality individual) might be getting too dramatic. Everything he says is true, but he's wording it in very heroic style, IMO. (FWIW Dave is the dominant personality; the real man that has served and fought. Edward is the creation that manifested about a year ago. He is false but very persuasive. There are times when I do not know which personality controls this body. From a forum perspective: Deal with it. I have to. Every freakin' day.) But uhh... Sorry. PTSD issues there. I was telling you about my day. Let's continue:

The display of my decorations is technically illegal too - military decorations cannot be displayed on a civilian suit. But my lover pressed me, and I relented. For the first time in 20 years I went to Remembrance Day in full colours, with decorations, wings and rank displayed. Tracy was quite captivating in a little coral number. As a veteran (though a very minor one IMO) I was offered a seat in the Reserved section; Tracy was quite thrilled - it's her first Remembrance Day.
But perhaps 15 minutes before ceremonies began another party came and sat in the seats in the row in front of us. I was shocked to the core: I knew the face of the Senior Officer that settled into the seat in front of Tracy. He was big, buff, bespectacled and I knew him instantly - a man I haven't seen since 1988. He was just another "Louie" at the time; a young Lieutenant (pronounced lef-tenant) with the superb Armoured (tank) Regiment The Lord Strathcona's Horse. But the face was the same, if heavier. Some guys are lucky enough to age well, the jerks. LOL!

"Excuse me Major," I said, leaning forward. He looked around, and I introduced myself. "Master Corporal Dave Organ, 2 PPCLI, retired. Play any bagpipe music recently?"

He looked confused and I explained. In 1988 I was a Line Infantryman - your everyday grunt - on exercise at CFB (Canadian Forces Base) Wainwright; the vast Western Canada training area. He would never have remembered me - I was just a dumb no-hook Private at the time - but I certainly remembered him. My Battallion - 2PPCLI (The Second Battalion, Princess Patricias Canadian Light Infantry: the greatest fighting foot to ever kit up) was working with the Strats in combined-arms training - Infantry and Tanks working in close co-ordination. I remember Major Long (Lieutenant, at the time) because he was chatty, friendly, outgoing and took an interest in his soldiers. He was also - as befits a junior Lieutenant - very weird.

He's the guy that thought hooking his Walkman into his tank's intercom system so he could listen to tunes in his headset would be a good idea - and the Battle Group was treated to an unscheduled concert by The Doors; just as the CO was trying to give his attack orders. Lt. Long had miscalculated just a bit on the required electronics. Ever heard a Colonel trying to read orders over "Light My Fire"? We were almost blue with lack of breath, we were laughing so hard. He's the guy that didn't realize he was reading his map upside down - and the combat team (1 Troop of tanks supporting 2 Platoons of Infantry) wound up invading a perfectly peaceful - and active - golf course one bright morning.

But the best moment came on the very last action before Endex - the order which announces the five-month training excercise has thankfully come to a close: the End Exercise order. On that last Battle Run - a range exercise in which tanks and grunts live-fire (use live ammunition - not blanks) at targets as they force their way up a kilometer-long battle range - Lt. Long put his meager electronic skills to good use and popped a bagpipe tape into his Walkman. The Combat Team charged while "Scotland The Brave" skirled out over the loudspeakers. It was totally unprofessional, weird and impractical, but we grunts charged, roaring, at our paper enemy while the heavy guns of the Strathconas roared overhead. And believe me - if you've never advanced ahead of fighting tanks; you cannot imagine the awesome power those great guns unleash. Amid the smoke, flames, shaking ground and flying dust of our charge, the skirl of the pipes sang through; driving straight into our hearts. It is, to this day, possibly the finest moment I ever experienced as a soldier. It was just an exercise: a "wargame" in civilian parlance. I have fought many battles far more intense and deadly. I have fought enemies of extreme cunning and determination; I have had great successes and failures. Men killed and died under my command. At the time of that battle-run, I was a lowly grunt. By the time I retired from the Army 6 years later I was an experienced combat leader: a Section Commander with 9 men in my charge. But I always remembered that crazy, beautiful Battle-Run; how the pipes skirled over us in the heat and bewildering violence of a combat team attack. How our hearts surged and our blood pounded as we shredded our paper enemies. How - at that one moment - we were Soldiers: the mythical perfection of the Fighting Man.

All this came flooding back as I saw the man's face. After I explained Major Steve Long smiled and laughed, and gratefully took my hand. "You remember that?" he roared, "Holy Fu** I did three weeks of duties for that! Nice to know it was appreciated!"

Oh yeah, it was appreciated. It was the kind of stupid, Hollywood-inspired thing a 20-year-old Lieutenant might dream up, but it was so, so good. Only a couple years later both the Patricias and the Strats would become embroiled in one of the most horrible, gritty, nut-busting conflicts of the century: the Bosnian War. Among many other things, that single glorious moment buoyed us up; gave us humour and pride. There was no glory, no flag-waving, no big ideals in the Bosnian War; only the stern pride of a terrible job done well.

We did what we had to. We helped when we could, we fought when we needed to, we killed when we were able and we died when we weren't. I lost two men on that (my third and last) tour and five (myself included) injured. We were a shell of a team when we rotated home; shocked, horrified, saddened and demoralized. We did the best we could. But when we returned home, we were not welcomed, but kicked in the goddamn teeth. The Media was playing up the Sidane Arone killing in Rwanda - a horrible crime but the media was just going to town on it. We returned to Canada as fugitives: furtive members of a disgraced Army; an Army which had done nothing to earn that disgrace. Individuals had done bad things - and for the record I'm not sure I'd have done anything differently given the circumstances - in the early '90's the Canadian Army was a virtual pariah in Canadian culture. But for twenty years I've lived with doubt and shame; wondering what I could have done differently to see that Dermot and Johnathan came back with us. I have lived with that uncertainty for 20 years and it has very nearly killed me.

But seeing Steve Long today brought many of the pleasant pre-war memories flooding back. We chatted for a while but soon he turned his attention back to RSM Richaud - the Sergeant Major accompanying him. I turned my attention back to Tracy; my love, lover and most lovely friend. We cooed and clapped as her son marched past with his Cadet Corps (and looking very sharp, I must add); Tracy bursting with pride.

Perhaps Matthew (her son) will one day join the Army. Perhaps one day I will put Bosnia behind me. Perhaps a day will come when Soldiers are no longer needed to fight.

But that day will not come soon. Until it does we - the Soldiers of every generation - will stand in readiness. We will wait to fight. And when asked to do so, we will give our lives to protect you.

Always A Patricia.

Last edited:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this, David. Very well written too.

So many soldiers sacrifice life and limb every day to keep us safe, and sadly too many make the ultimate sacrifice. We civilians salute you all.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this, David. Very well written too.

So many soldiers sacrifice life and limb every day to keep us safe, and sadly too many make the ultimate sacrifice. We civilians salute you all.

You said it all.

:salute: to you all!

Staiduk

Reaction score
Post deleted for being totally weird and more than a little insulting. Sorry.

Last edited:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
<post details removed>

You're in a new fight now, the one for your health and wellbeing. I wish you every success in getting the care and treatment you need, and the resolution you deserve. Meanwhile, I hope you get a great distraction / fascination / feeling of achievement from this Orbiter, and all the amazing things you can do with it. PM me any time you want.

Last edited:

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
We hope you will not be needed, we hope you return when you are. Nothing could ever be said or done to repay the valour and courage shown by so few, for the security and protection of so many who will never know the true horrors of conflict or it's often long lasting effects, which arn't always visable. Many conflicts last a lifetime, even when the battle ended years ago.

I'm glad you attended your Remembrance Day and wished you had attended sooner. I couldn't imagine it to be easy, especially for those who have been involved in conflict or lost others because of it. Many of us that attend Remembrance Day, do so purely to demonstrate respect for those such as yourself Staiduk, even though we are civilians. I have family in Afghanistan, so Remembrance Day for many of us has many meanings for many reasons.

Thankyou for shareing a part of your life with us.

I can only wish you well. :tiphat:

Staiduk

Reaction score
Oh man...
Where did those weird words come from? Even when Edward's writing I generally remember being there, providing a note of reality if nothing else as he waxes creative. But...

Zombies? What the hell? Yes I'm an alcoholic - something I'm dealing with, successfully I hope, but am not and have never been a 'druggie'. I'm afraid Edward exploited a weak moment and managed to expound. I do my best to control him but occasionally Edward slips past Dave's defences. Sorry for that.

Folks I'm so sorry for these posts. Yes Remembrance Day always brings on an attack which is why I've been too scared to attend a ceremony; at least officially. I have watched a couple, hiding away on the fringes. I owe great thanks to my GF for bullying me into attending this year. It was an important choice made more valuable by that chance meeting.

But now I have to apologize for yet another seriously overcooked post. I swear - I think Edward's a better writer than me; it's just too bad he doesn't have any brakes on his rhetoric.

OK, the war was grim and it affected me deeply but it sure wasn't the unmitigated hell Edward made it out to be. He wasn't part of me in those days. He only remembers things in very graphic detail. Don't get me wrong, parts of it - particularly the last half of my third tour - were horrible in the extreme as we dealt with the 'ethnic cleansing' atrocities.

Most of the hell was - let's be honest - of my own making. I mean, i was a Rifleman - standard grunt - on my first tour; Section 2ic (2nd in command) and #2 gun-team commander on my second, Section commander on my third. By rights I should have been a Sergeant in order to do that job but an OC would have had to be insane to promote a man just before a deployment, especially one with my relatively low experience. First two tours I was basically apprenticing under by far the finest soldier I have ever known: Sergeant Whitehall. When we lost him I did the best I could to pick up the reins and I think I did very well. We never did get a new Sergant; by the time we deployed there was no question about who commanded Bravo.
But I spent the entire tour scared out of my mind; terrified of making the wrong decisions, giving the wrong orders. Getting my men killed through my own stupidity. I have since come to understand that ALL combat leaders feel that way; the good ones anyway. But understanding and believing are two different things; I've spent 20 years believing in my heart I was the wrong man to lead Bravo.

[Edit:] Actually I didn't write that properly. I was the right guy for the job, I'm just not sure if I was good enough to do it. To explain I sure didn't feel up to it at the time; commanding a Section is a huge job and I was well aware we were going back. There were quite a few Platoon members who could have been given the nod; I was the one who had to try to fill Jim's huge shoes. Or boots, in this case. I'd been in Assault for years at that point; knew the job well and was intimately familiar with my platoon-mates. The last couple months before deployment, we knew our positions were fixed. Thanks to the huge deployment requirements for the Batallion there simply weren't any Assault-qualified Senior NCO's free to be reassigned to us - and he wouldn't have time to fit into the platoon anyway. Besides, despite my initial concerns I loved the job, was doing it - in garrison - well and my guys were intensely motivated, trained and cohesive. You couldn't ask for a better Section; they made me look real good. OK; we had our usual issues of discipline: fighting, drinking, getting rowdy and getting into trouble and I sure had my hands full on Friday nights but that's exactly what you want. Trained, motivated fighters, not boy scouts. Guys every bit as insanely competitive as I was. We fit together.

The majority of the deployment went extremely well. The platoon was exceptionally well led, as was the Batallion. We did superb work throughout the Krajina but as the tour went on, the situation steadily went downhill. When everything went pear-shaped in September 1993 we were required to do and observe things we'd never trained for, never even imagined. I won't list examples; some of it was pretty gruesome. We dealt with death on a daily basis. That's the part I regret. Though my superiors during and since have assured me I could not have done anything better, I found myself slipping into the 'coulda shoulda woulda' trap. I was fine during conventional operations but at that time in the Krajina 'conventional' simply didn't exist. The mounting horror was getting to all of us; I did what I could keeping my guys sharp. And I must add another good friend Warrant Jones, the Warrant commanding A Section, took me aside once or twice when he saw me flagging and gave me a good old-fashioned high-volume blast of horizontally-applied excrement delivered at supersonic velocity which...you know...helped. ;) It's always good to be reminded that no matter how bad things get the big dude with the handlebar moustache can find oh so many ways to make your life much, much worse. (chuckle)

I know I couldn't have known what was going to happen on the one day I will not discuss. I know I had no reason not to order my APCs down that road. I know that. I also did well getting my Section out of there without being completely wiped out. I know we paid the bastards back in spades. The Croats learned that day just how hard Canadians fight when our backs are against the wall. I know that. But coulda shoulda woulda. 2 men dead, 3 injured. One vehicle destroyed. Would Jim have been caught like that? Or would the magic radar he had started beeping, warning him?
(Shrug) who knows? That's the question that's been driving me insane - almost literally - for 20 years.

Sorry for those posts folks.

Last edited:

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
Don't be sorry for your posts Staiduk.

Writing things down makes us think about them in ways that we wouldn't if not for the writing.(If that makes any sense).

We wouldn't be who we are without our experiences. It's selfish but, from what I've read of your posts over time, I'm glad you are who you are.

I thought I had wide ranging interests, but yours are wider.

You are a 'Renaissance Man' and I look forward to reading your posts because, whatever they may be about, I know that they will have a depth and sensitivity that makes me envious.

Staiduk

Reaction score

---------- Post added at 02:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 AM ----------

Don't be sorry for your posts Staiduk.

Writing things down makes us think about them in ways that we wouldn't if not for the writing.(If that makes any sense).

We wouldn't be who we are without our experiences. It's selfish but, from what I've read of your posts over time, I'm glad you are who you are.

I thought I had wide ranging interests, but yours are wider.

You are a 'Renaissance Man' and I look forward to reading your posts because, whatever they may be about, I know that they will have a depth and sensitivity that makes me envious.

I am sorry for Edward's posts that belittled and insulted the people commenting on this forum. I am not sorry for any post my David persona made.

Edward has no empathy, understanding or history. He only writes with passion and has no understanding of the term 'moderation'.

I am a split personality, Aeadar. Edward is the other self. I know its weird, but I have to apologize for him half the time.

Last edited:

Melvin

Reaction score
Edward is you and you are Edward, whether partially or fully is of no matter.

Please stop apologizing for being a human.

Staiduk

Reaction score
I will never insult another. I will never belittle another. To do so violates every rule I hold dear.

Edward is both me and not me. He has every bit of craft, evil, persuasion and creativity I posess but NONE of my discipline, my integrity, or my cultural and moral restrictions.

I respect and appreciate your words, but DO NOT underestimate the power of an alternate personality, Melvin. You have no idea how hard I have to fight against him. He is not a 'phase'. Edward is a very real and very dangerous personality.

Every dark fantasy, every hatred, every violent feeling in my mind is encompassed and encouraged by Edward. My body has spent forty years learning to fight; there are few - if any - in my region that could survive a fight with me. If I ever surrendered to him and allowed him to control my body the damage would be...large.

Edward is very real. I spend much of my life fighting him off. To do less would be to fail the ordinary people. Edward has no empathy; I must use mine to balance him.

Last edited:

Melvin

Reaction score
All I'm saying is that perhaps you could use a little Edward in your life... not fighting him so much but rather embracing him for who he is.

It reminds me a bit of this great saying that I know you are all too familiar with...

"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." - Robert E Lee

Edward is your new war.

Staiduk

Reaction score
No. No, You do not understand. Edward is NOT a different aspect. He is NOT my private wishes. Do you not understand? Edward is a fully-developed, fully realized second self.

He is NOT a learning experience. He is a very dangerous, very deadly and utterly unsympathetic alternate personality. Edward is ME - the me that would have evolved if I never learned the strengths of discipline and morality.

And I am one of the deadliest hand-fighters in this city. My close-combat ability is my greatest strength; I am unbeatable by any single individual.

Go on - accuse me of pride.

I have hurt or seriously injured more than a hundred of local gang members. The Somali Warlords, the Bloods, the Straight Eights all avoid me - the guy with the black fedora. I am the best hand-fighter in this city, bar none.

But I have a sense of morality. I never fight for fighting's sake; I assist women, I defend children.

Edward has no such sense. He wants blood and glory. He wants to fight, period.

Much of my life is spent outside the Edward persona dealing with the trouble he's caused.

I don't know how else to describe it. It's not an emotional issue.

Edward is a very dangerous persona - a created personality that has all the power, strength, ability and speed an Airborne soldier has; particularly when he is controlling this body. A large part of my life involves either dealing with what he has done, or preventing what he is doing. And until I can learn to deal with and absorb him, Edward will continue to demand my attention.

[EDIT:] I will speak no more about Edward. Period.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
My wife deal with social security on a regular basis, and has a handful of clients that have been diagnosed with multiple personality disorder. While she can't go into details due to confidentiality, she can give me some generalities; it is a very real disability and often born from a very real and tramatic set of events. If talking (or rather writing) about some of the events in the past can help you work through it, then by all means, write it down.

Staiduk

Reaction score
I AM writing it down, and thanks Phantom.

But people really, really do not understand just how terrible it is to have an additional personality. One that is ten times more vicious and at least as tactically capable as I am - and I can be extremely violent when the need arises. I fight when I need to; Edward uses my body to fight when he wants to.

I have to live with Edward. I have to find a way to tame and control him. I haven't found it yet. I can reign him in at extreme cost; but cannot give him my thoughts on discipline and morality. He laughs at me, calling me weak.

Edward is MY demon. I will deal with him. It is hard, but I will do it.

Last edited:

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I dated a girl with 2 personalites. Depression. Anxiety, bipolar, Schizophrenia. You name it, she had it.

3 months after I moved in she checked herself into a facility.

It was incredibly hard on me to be able to keep the bills current and make sure that we could do "stuff" to "distract" her while she was on a medical leave from work for 11 months.

But it still doesn't even compare to what I know she was dealing with.

I can tell you from watching it first-hand that it DOES get better. With the proper support and help, anything is possible.

I've read your posts, and as crazy as Edward may be, everything is coming from your mind. And you are obviously highly intelligent.

Admitting there's an issue is truly the first step in the process. From there the doors not only multiply but become easier to find and walk through, You've obviously been that far.

I know we don't know each other, and we don't know each other's experiemces, but you are free to message me at any time,

At the same time, I want to thank you for your service. I'm not actually from Canana, but from Chicago. But geography is irrelevant.

I also want you to know that you are not alone in your struggles with alcoholism. After the previously mented relationship I too turned to alcohol.

It's a hard horse to ride and an even more difficult horse to break and master, but it you can do it.

Countless support groups are available, as well as the orbtier forum. We are all here for you if or when you need us. Also, never apologize for who are you.

Good luck my friend.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
The staff feel that it is important to point out that whilst venting on the site can be a good thing and that we are lucky to have a membership who are as supportive as the people in this thread have been, there is no substitute for proper medical and psychological care as provided by recognised healthcare professionals.

We won't be closing this thread as it's a thread with good suggestions but we do strongly encourage people to speak to trained professionals.

Staiduk

Reaction score
That is much appreciated, Gary. Im sorry; I'm afraid aspects of this post got beyond me. To directly answer your concerns I have been undergoing psychological assistance for my troubles. It has helped me immensely. If you think this is bad you didn't know me ten years ago. Let us get away from Edward - I've been trying to - and remember the story I told; the original point of the post.

Cheers, folks. :)

Last edited: