OHM Relativistic Warp MFD 1.5

kevinvr

Reaction score
A little trick: use a moon of the Outer Planets as a destination instead of the planet itself if you are not aiming for anything specific... For Jupiter, Europa... Saturn you can go to Tethys or Enceladus... You thus end up in a stable orbit, since you are synced with the already orbiting moon, without having to expand loads of fuel to get to orbital velocity on your own...
Thanks Cairan that is a good idea, I will try it. Appreciate the help:thumbup:

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
Hey nicker43 ....how about sharing the vessel orienting code :).......rocking addon man !!:thumbup:

Zapi

Reaction score
My only problem with this MFD is the limit to how fast you can actually go. why can't i go like 0.9999999999999999c instead of only 0.99999c ?

could you make the limit an option in the next release?

Bishop

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Not kidding this would be my favourite (near) FTL of all time :thumbup:

If... :idea:

You dropped out of Warp with the same 'real' space vectors(?) as you went in.

Now I'm not a programmer :lol: - would it be hard to copy the 'real space' vectors of the ship when the Warp is engaged and then paste them again when it's disengaged?

I can see the thought and time that went into the acceleration and slowing down phases of travel, major kudos to the programmer :hail: - could the copy-paste-state be a configurable option?

This way I may set up some speed and direction beforehand and not pop out of Warp in a dead fall to the planet :cool:

kind regards,

- bishop

Last edited:

nicker43

Reaction score
Hey nicker43 ....how about sharing the vessel orienting code :).......rocking addon man !!:thumbup:

In 1.1, the vessel orienting code was borrowed from Attitude MFD. In 1.5 (WIP) I rewrote the code from scratch to make it compatible with multi-instances. Email me if you want it.

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 PM ----------

Do you have to point at a target to warp?

Yes.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

My only problem with this MFD is the limit to how fast you can actually go. why can't i go like 0.9999999999999999c instead of only 0.99999c ?

could you make the limit an option in the next release?

I could, but I didn't see a reason for it. At the current speed limit, you travel across the solar system in seconds. At 0.9999999999999999c, the gamma is ...I don't know, my calculator disappeared in a puff of smoke when I tried to calculate it. Its a REALLY large number. On my computer, at each simulation time step, you would warp across the universe. How fast is your computer? :)

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

Not kidding this would be my favourite (near) FTL of all time :thumbup:

If... :idea:

You dropped out of Warp with the same 'real' space vectors(?) as you went in.

Now I'm not a programmer :lol: - would it be hard to copy the 'real space' vectors of the ship when the Warp is engaged and then paste them again when it's disengaged?

I can see the thought and time that went into the acceleration and slowing down phases of travel, major kudos to the programmer :hail: - could the copy-paste-state be a configurable option?

This way I may set up some speed and direction beforehand and not pop out of Warp in a dead fall to the planet :cool:

kind regards,

- bishop

If you by space vectors you mean your global velocity before warp, then that is easy to do. I'll add an option in the configuration file. Just don't try to warp too close to your target.

Bishop

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
If you by space vectors you mean your global velocity before warp, then that is easy to do. I'll add an option in the configuration file. Just don't try to warp too close to your target.

That would be fantastic! :woohoo:

Yep, global velocity, that's what I meant :thumbup:

- bishop

Chromium

Reaction score
Do be careful when warping to a planet with preserved global velocity. From the Earth to Luna, that might be a good thing, but if you're warping from Earth to an outer planet or vice versa you may have some issues with the required delta-v to synchronize.

dumbo2007

Reaction score
I think you can detect nearby planets and plot a path around it ? I mean the nearest gravity reference function should be able to tell you of a nearby planet and you can either skid to a halt or translate to the left or right and continue on a different path to the destination - will require some playing with the code.

And if its a vessel - just clear it from your path using AddForce :)

haze39

Reaction score
Calculate distance for a safe base landing

Hi
Really love this addon,and have been on "trips" to almost every planet in our system by now,but the "trouble" occurs when trying to land safely on a planet/moon base,and how to calculate the right brake distance before crashing into the ground as f.ex.the DeltagliderIV,which almost every time loses it's wheels,or completely breaks up when it tries to land on a base.

Anybody who has an idea how to calculate the right altitude to do a safe landing with The Warp MFD?.:tiphat:

regards
haze39

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
Well, I have sent UMMU themselves for the scariest rides ever by turbo packing up into the sky a little and initiate the warp and make it stop 2/3 meters above any moon or planets surface resulting in a safe landing :lol:. There is no scarier ride!

dumbo2007

Reaction score
What are the limits in terms of AU beyond which Orbiter begins to severely degrade in precision(docking is impossible) in Orbiter 2009. I am wondering how far I can try to go with this MFD. I think the speed is adjustable even beyond c to multiples of c...saw some posts earlier about 250c

EtherDragon

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Another, more complicated, solution to establishing an orbit would be user configurable target settings.

Use distance from body and Local xyz velocities. Then we could come up with a library of standard approaches for various major bodies.

The next step might be to include this table of standard approaches to the MFD, and then just let the user adjust the settings as they see fit.

dumbo2007

Reaction score
nicker43..I dropped a message through the orbiter forum message options ...for the source code.

Zapi

Reaction score
Well, i have a planet a lightyear out, and it takes a LONG time to get there even with every warp drive i have on

besides, watching the decades go by while i go would be awesome

Katt7777

Reaction score
Nice program I wish I could figure something out like that.:thumbup:

iceman2000mv

Reaction score
Please help.
I have a problem. I use orbiter beta 100503. The mfd is great except for one thing. When i press !S! the fov jums to 0 and stays there whatever i do. I disengaged the VisualAbberation but i can't get rid of the problem.
Any ideas.
Thanks so much.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Please help.
I have a problem. I use orbiter beta 100503. The mfd is great except for one thing. When i press !S! the fov jums to 0 and stays there whatever i do. I disengaged the VisualAbberation but i can't get rid of the problem.
Any ideas.
Thanks so much.
The only safe solution here is to not use the beta, as it's clearly stated that it is not guaranteed to be stable/usable with all addons.
I imagine this problem will happen in any of the newer betas, as the FOV is handled at least somewhat differently (although I'm no expert...I don't dissect my computer programs :lol:)

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The FOV should not change on key S regardless, it's not a control for FOV in either the stable or the beta versions.