Reentry basics procedure...My ship always burn!!!

Lele81

Reaction score
Hi,
I really don't understand how to reentry correctly (for example with delta gilder IV). Sometimes my ship Burns in the atmpsfere (I think it's because I do a reentry burning too long...?!?)...and sometimes my ship rebounds in the space (I thinkit's because I do a reentry burning too short..?!?)
How should it work?
I need to know where I'm wrong...Tell me where:

1) I have to keep my AoA at about 40 degrees...and that's ok (I can also do it helping with the PRO104SPC40 program...)

2) And (first of that), of course I have to do a reentry burn! I'm almost sure it's here that I'm wrong....how should it be done?
Is it the only matter the red point where I want to land? Or maybe the matter is (as I think) the reentry speed? And if so....how much should it be that reentry speed? Because I think the problem for my burning/rebounding is about reenrty speed (related to the burning time!)

Thanks!!!

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Open up the deorbiting display. It will tell you if you are going to reenter or not. The reason you bounce up is because your V/S is getting higher as you pitch up and is making you ApA higher as it goes. Keep you nose lowered and even it out. I can reenter at 1.1 AoA so don't worry. Watch your initial speed too because you do not want the hull or nose to burn up.

ripley1

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Reentry is one of the most difficult things in Orbiter,so there is no easy way to explain it.
To answer your question of reentry burn. You should make deorbit burn on the opposite side of the earth.During the burn,watch the periapsis and burn until this is just around 30-40km above the earth.
Look into the Tutorial section of the Forum for more. http://www.orbiter-forum.com/tutorials.php

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Try planning your burn with Aerobrake MFD. Burn on the opposite side of the world. Above the atmosphere, it will only give you a rough sketch of your reentry path but once you dip below 200000 you can fine-tune your reentry path. I like a pitch of about 40 (use trim, even though on the DGIV trim seems useless).

If you want a painless reentry you could do the inital burn, run p104s40, when you drop into the upper atmosphere you can adjust the path by making small burns. Once your satisfied, you adjust your path with pitch. Do that a couple of time and you'll know what to do for a manual reentry.

Sky Captain

Reaction score
If your reentry angle is too shallow and your vertical velocity is starting to get positive you can increase the AOA to reduce lift and increase drag. If you burn up try to reenter from very low 120 - 150 km orbit and keep your vertical velocity around -50 - -70 ms and don`t forget to run reentry checklist before deorbit burn - it will tell if something is left open or ship is too heavy. Also you can try a different ship for example XR5 or XR2 which have higher heat tolerance (you have to be a real genius to burn up in empty XR5)

Lele81

Reaction score
Thanks to your help, (even if indirectly;)) , I found out where I was wrong!!!
So, tell me if NOW I'm right with those points:

1) I thought that I should have retro-burned UNTIL the red square in MAP has placed to my landing base (i.e. Cape Canaveral), but NOT!!!
I only MUST to retro burning UNTIL the reentry angle is about 1.000 ( and "hope to land where I want, starting the burning in the opposite side of the earth...)
So here I was really wrong...I understood now! (right?)

2) To avoid a ship burning, I MUST keep the vertical speed around -70 -80 Km/s....I thought that the cause of burning was the orizontal speed...instead it's the vertical!!! Am I Right?

3) The most important: If my vertical speed is too high (negative) I must DECREASE my AoA!!! (and vice-versa). (thats not so intuitive!!!:speakcool:)

At point 3 I was sure it was the opposite also because I noticed that reducing the AoA caused increasing of temperatures...But I didn't noticed that it was a momentary thing, since after decrese the AoA, my V speed decrease too and the temperatures as well!!!

Thanks to everyone, and if I wrote something absurd and wrong, please, let me know!!!
I'm learning a bit more every day!!!

Mafuskas

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
By your last post, it sounds like you are getting the hang of it. :) Re-entry is very difficult, so be patient with yourself. Good luck!

Lele81

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you!
Now I'm very good in reentry (I'm talking about re-entring WITHOUT BURNING UP!!!:p because, re-entry in the place that I wish....it's another thing!!):speakcool:

Bye bye, thanks to you, always very kind in helping!

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
there was another guy who is having the same problem. i posted a very nice how to guide in his thread detailing how to land exactly how you want and where you want without the heat shield activating. iv never burned up or crashed using this technique

cachorrorbiter

Reaction score
Hello there:

Im Frank I had the same trouble in reentry I always burned up and ended smashed in the floor or in the bottom of the ocean "sleeping with the fishes" these tutorials are awesome thank you all for your contributions, I,m a newbie and when i first ran orbiter in my lap top i couldn´t believe it. one question ¿is there any specific Joystick that you experts could recommend me? im looking forwardto get more realistic experiences, Orbiter rules!!!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Get Reentry MFD for targeting better... it calculates how much you have to decelerate for coming to a stop right over the base.

http://www.orbitermars.co.uk/

ThatGuy

Reaction score
About the joystick: I find that a joystick is just way too inaccurate in orbit. I have a Saitek X-52. In orbit, I rarely use anything on my joysticks besides the throttle. If you're on a laptop, I would recommend that you get one of those USB Number pads.
If you do want to get joystick, it is completely up to you.

cachorrorbiter

Reaction score
That Guy:

Thanks for de advice, certainly is a bit annoying to press the fn key at the same time that the other keys tha emulates the number pad, and thank you very much for the advice on the joystick you saved me some bucks, it would've been disapointing that the microsoft sidewinder i had on mind doesn´t worked properly

Have a nice day!!!!!!