News Raspberry Pi computer, is it rational?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
29 February 2012:
The Raspberry Pi computer is just a small green circuit board about the size of a credit card - but it is hoped that it will get thousands of school children interested in programming.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17190334

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17192823

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

For up-to-the-minute news on what's happening, follow @Raspberry_Pi on Twitter1.
1(Only until about 6pm GMT, though, because we’re all going to the pub after that!)

I'll buy it jus for that comment!

N.

Last edited:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
It broke both the Element 14 and the RS websites.

I will be getting one when they turn up in Oz. Might try and make an IPTV box.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Thats a good sign, at last some interest.

N.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
I still don't understand the purpose of such a device. It isn't a fully functional microcontroller (some proprietary components, GPIO not easily accessible by users), nor is it a fully functional computer (ARM, severely underpowered). For its intended purpose - teaching schoolchildren programming - used or donated old PCs are much better suited.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Initially, I would get it as a stand alone for the Unix system. Always been curious about it, but didn't want to interfere my PC.
Other than that, I imagine as you play with it, something will turn up. At 25$, I've probably bought games worth less than that.

N.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Initially, I would get it as a stand alone for the Unix system. Always been curious about it, but didn't want to interfere my PC.
Other than that, I imagine as you play with it, something will turn up. At 25$, I've probably bought games worth less than that.

N.

Unix? I thought it only runs regular GNU/Linux recompiled for ARM with proprietary graphics drivers?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I don't know what chip it runs, the BBC report says it runs UNIX/Debian?

EDIT: I'm probably getting confused between UNIX/LINUX, know nothing about either...

My cloth ears, he says" Debian/Linux"

N.

Last edited:

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Put that way, it does have interesting implications. A computer system intended for introducing schoolchildren to computing, that only runs GNU/Linux. I heartily approve of this.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I still don't understand the purpose of such a device. It isn't a fully functional microcontroller (some proprietary components, GPIO not easily accessible by users), nor is it a fully functional computer (ARM, severely underpowered). For its intended purpose - teaching schoolchildren programming - used or donated old PCs are much better suited.

Actually there is some GPIO accessible with the expansion header. Number of pins with SPI, I2C and UART.

There is a growing demand for these types of things too. Especially when you want more grunt than a uC but don't want a fully fledged PC.

Not sure what OS support there is, however I do know that Debian will be included.

I can't comment on the Video Hardware, but I fully expect the community will hack around it if needed.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Got it pre-ordered on Farnell, despite all the DDoSing.

Debian and Fedora are available at release.
Video hardware can be used through a blob driver.
Summarily, that's a very nice piece of hardware for it's cost, and it is a fully functional computer for many tasks.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Got it pre-ordered on Farnell, despite all the DDoSing.

Debian and Fedora are available at release.
Video hardware can be used through a blob driver.
Summarily, that's a very nice piece of hardware for it's cost, and it is a fully functional computer for many tasks.

I would love to know how it goes. I think I might wait a few months for supply to increase.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For its intended purpose - teaching schoolchildren programming - used or donated old PCs are much better suited.

I have yet to see the board that doesn't get fits if you try to teach kids low-level programming on their school's computers. Sure, a bit of visual Basic and C, no problem, but we were never allowed to go any deeper, never learned to touch the system, because, you know, someone had to get the machines back to standard setup again afterwards. I'd say this could be an elegant solution for that problem.

Also, a functional , programmable computer for about 50 Bucks? If I was still twelve, it would only take until my next birthday until I had one. Would have saved my dad a lot of grey hairs too! :lol:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The concept behind it is to have a device made for hobbyists and hackers, who can hit the metal to their hearts' content. Kits such as this were popular back in the late '70s to early '80s (some of the earlier computers like the Altair and later the MPF series were sold as a kit). It remains to be seen if you can remove today's kids from their PSPs and smartphones and tablets (not to mention my preciousss lawn) and get them to work on those little things.
Well, if the educational aspect fails, a 50 dollars programmable board can come in handy for a lot of projects and assorted lulz and evulz... :)

Jarvitä

Reaction score
The concept behind it is to have a device made for hobbyists and hackers, who can hit the metal to their hearts' content.

Except they can't, because the chip design hasn't been released, the graphics driver is proprietary and the GPIO logic is heavily obfuscated.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Bit of info for the model B

Raspberry Pi Linux Specs
SoC Broadcom BCM2835 (CPU, GPU, DSP, and SDRAM)
CPU: 700 MHz ARM1176JZF-S core (ARM11 family)
GPU: Broadcom VideoCore IV, OpenGL ES 2.0, 1080p30 h.264/MPEG-4 AVC high-profile decoder
Memory (SDRAM): 256 Megabytes (MiB)
Video outputs: Composite RCA, HDMI
Audio outputs: 3.5 mm jack, HDMI
Onboard storage: SD, MMC, SDIO card slot
10/100 Ethernet RJ45 onboard network
Storage via SD/ MMC/ SDIO card slot

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I can't really see any reason behind the complaints...just name one graphics driver that is not proprietary.

It is a pretty fast board with a lot of memory and on-board graphics for just 25 Euros. I pay 35 Euro for a 80 MHz 32 bit ATMega board with less hardware and more GPIO. Or 155 Euro for a BeagleBoard with just a bit more power.

It is not open-hardware, OK. But it is not more expensive, quite contrary. I can really understand its appeal, especially since 25 euro is not that much for just trying it out. A BeagleBoard is a more serious investment.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I don't really understand the point of these but thats maybe because I'm a sysadmin and not a programmer. Now give me something I can throw disks and network cards into and I'm happy.