Humor Random Comments Thread

steph

Reaction score
Well, as long as it doesn't suddenly start screaming "FOR THE EMPRAH!" and goes all exterminatus on the pedestrians, everything's fine... ?
Could have been slightly worse ?. I didn't go to the main city in that area, which is St. Jean de Monts. Depending on how badly it pronounced St. Jean, it could very well sound like it was saying in frenglish that it has a demon (j'ai un etc?) But yeah, given the situation, I'm relieved my gps isn't posessed ?

Edit: it's not getting worse as long as nobody is obeying the orders ??

Tycho

Reaction score
Recently picked up the Lego Saturn V set, having gotten back into Lego after a very long hiatus (and having missed the set in its original run a few years back). I'm very much looking forward to putting it together when I can find the time. Looks very impressive, and I confess my excitement for it is quite child-like.

Eyeing up the massive Titanic set as well, if I'm being honest. No idea where the hell I'd put it, though.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Recently picked up the Lego Saturn V set, having gotten back into Lego after a very long hiatus (and having missed the set in its original run a few years back). I'm very much looking forward to putting it together when I can find the time. Looks very impressive, and I confess my excitement for it is quite child-like.

Eyeing up the massive Titanic set as well, if I'm being honest. No idea where the hell I'd put it, though.

I switched more towards the alternatives to LEGO there, especially Cobi from Poland. Still have one M60 set waiting for the next COVID quarantine, and just ordered the Merkava set from the tank museum shop....

Tycho

Reaction score
I switched more towards the alternatives to LEGO there, especially Cobi from Poland. Still have one M60 set waiting for the next COVID quarantine, and just ordered the Merkava set from the tank museum shop....
Fair enough. Grew up with many Mega Bloks sets myself on account of LEGO confining themselves to non-military themes (though I suppose that doesn't really apply to LEGO Star Wars, now that I think of it). I was never impressed with the quality of Mega, though, in comparison to LEGO. But I never owned a Cobi set. How does the quality compare, both of the parts and the durability of the build?

LEGO holds a lot of goodwill for me personally, but I'll entertain a high-quality alternative if they've got a set I like.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Fair enough. Grew up with many Mega Bloks sets myself on account of LEGO confining themselves to non-military themes (though I suppose that doesn't really apply to LEGO Star Wars, now that I think of it). I was never impressed with the quality of Mega, though, in comparison to LEGO. But I never owned a Cobi set. How does the quality compare, both of the parts and the durability of the build?

Quality is generally very good, but the bricks often have some grates from molding that are left visible. If you pay attention during assembly, you can hide them inside the model. Its hard to get the parts apart after assembly, I use the smallest screwdriver I have for this in an emergency. The colors in manual and bricks are not matching correctly, making it hard to tell, which part you need.

The design of the models is very good and they have many details, especially compared to the rather disappointing current Lego City sets and the current Lego Technic sets. In this aspect, the quality of Lego really dropped a lot in the past years, the older sets used to be far more fun to build and had been far better to reuse.

Tycho

Reaction score
Quality is generally very good, but the bricks often have some grates from molding that are left visible. If you pay attention during assembly, you can hide them inside the model. Its hard to get the parts apart after assembly, I use the smallest screwdriver I have for this in an emergency. The colors in manual and bricks are not matching correctly, making it hard to tell, which part you need.

The design of the models is very good and they have many details, especially compared to the rather disappointing current Lego City sets and the current Lego Technic sets. In this aspect, the quality of Lego really dropped a lot in the past years, the older sets used to be far more fun to build and had been far better to reuse.
Thanks for that. If I look to build an accompanying LUT for the Saturn V, I may well look to an alternative brick product, though the structure is, of course, not one that lends itself to ill-fitting elements, so that's a concern of mine with others.

Admittedly, part of the draw of the LEGO Saturn V model, in addition to the scale, is the community-driven MOC work that's been done with it. Someone on Rebrickable put together building instructions for a handful of Saturn variants, both realized and planned, self-contained to the pieces within the set, which look like interesting re-builds. Some of the other unrealized Saturn variants may make for interesting projects as well on my own time, even if it requires some additional pieces to be independently acquired.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Last fuel assembly being removed before we go "core empty" for a while. WBN Unit 2 is getting four new steam generators, so it'll be a while before reload.

Note that cool blue glow ;)

Attachments

• Last one.png
    Last one.png
    480.6 KB · Views: 15

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Last fuel assembly being removed before we go "core empty" for a while. WBN Unit 2 is getting four new steam generators, so it'll be a while before reload.

Note that cool blue glow ;)

A performance enhancement underway?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Boss: "Look, we just got a ton of batteries for our solar solutions!"
Me, looks: "Oh... is that... literally a ton of batteries?"
Boss: "Yup!"

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Boss: "Look, we just got a ton of batteries for our solar solutions!"
Me, looks: "Oh... is that... literally a ton of batteries?"
Boss: "Yup!"

Sounds like fun....

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Damn, she's only been running for a few years. Is this a typical life for nuclear steam generators, or was it because they got rusty while lying around since 1985?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Retro tv channel is showing Monty Python from the first episode, starting tonight.
It's very rarely shown on terrestrial tv, BBC copyright I think.

Its attracting comments on another forum I watch. including this:

"I guess they had to censor the line "Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer?" for German viewers."

I hope this is not offensive, just curious as to what it means.

Enjoyed MP but not a superfan.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
"I guess they had to censor the line "Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer?" for German viewers."

I hope this is not offensive, just curious as to what it means.

German viewer here and no, it isn't offensive. I know what the pun is about and yeah, its good that they censored this line for our own safety.

Who really has to know more:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Sadly:

"a! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

Completely makes no sense compared to the original. And that’s why we love Python"

Again no sense to me, hopefully will comprehend later.

So it seems...

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Damn, she's only been running for a few years. Is this a typical life for nuclear steam generators, or was it because they got rusty while lying around since 1985?
A good part of the reason was the way Unit 2 was put in lay-up when they initially cancelled the construction project. Advances in metallurgy, and things we know better about water chemistry, dictated a SG change out.
Unit 1 went commercial in '97, with a SG replacement in 2006, and we've been running strong since then (not sure when the next one will be, hopefully I'm retired). So, 6 years on the initial, and 16 on the second set.

In both cases, the new steam generators hold more water and are more efficient heat exchangers.