Humor Random Comments Thread

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
In the past, it was hard to get out of Oz. Now its hard to get in. :D

At least for all, and not special rules for the rich and corrupt, like in many places here...
Both the state and federal governments were asked to sponsor a new visa. Neither did. If he didn't say he had an exemption, he would have been let in (Though the orginal visa would have still been wrong). Most won't be able to apply for a new visa on the spot.

clipper

Reaction score
Small issue with a player arriving for the Australian Open.

Coming to an episode of Border Security near you soon.
reaction of Serbia is pretty wild to put it mildly; judging by the press conference with his family earlier today (and his father in particular) as well as the general mood of local media, the whole thing spiraled from a minor bureaucratic issue into a clash of civilizations with not-so-subtle nationalist connotations

like I wish I was kidding but his father straight up said that "this isn't about Novak but about 7.5 billion people of the free world"

Marijn

Reaction score
On Christmas eve, my club signed the documents for the purchase of a brandnew glider, a Schempp-Hirth Duo Discus XLT. It's one of the best performing dual seat gliders on the market. It has the luxury of a retractable engine to prevend having to land in a field when running out of sources of lift. They just started the building process. If everything goes to plan, we will welcome our new flagship in august. I can't wait to fly this beautiful ship!

ddxlt.png

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Is there any active discussion of SpaceX BFR / Starship anywhere here on OF that I am missing? I'd thought the engineering madness of trying to launch and catch a megarocket with chopsticks would get more love here.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is there any active discussion of SpaceX BFR / Starship anywhere here on OF that I am missing? I'd thought the engineering madness of trying to launch and catch a megarocket with chopsticks would get more love here.

Well, it isn't really madness until the idea of a suicide burn comes next to it. Seriously, I think it could work, but I can think of many spectacular ways how it could NOT work. And I don't want to miss them.

I mean, way before we had suitable computers, humans already tried this:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I mean, way before we had suitable computers, humans already tried this:
I was always partial to the Lockheed XFV-1 myself for the aesthetics:

Lockheed-XFV-1-Before-Takeoff.jpg

But, back to my original question ... I'm somewhat surprised by the lack of discussion of Starship here in OF. Just curious why.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
There's usually some discussion about it when they blow one up. Right now there's just not much happening...
But there is a whole SLS thread, and there is about as much happening there, maybe less.

I'm not necessarily complaining or anything, but it's just an observation.

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
That must be really weird to fly, then try to land on the ground behind the pilot.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I think there are enough places that discuss Starship (and/or SpaceX in general).
So I guess many orbiter-forum members think: meh, let's focus on things that are not so "over-covered".

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
News for real aesthetes
icebreaker "Ural" preparing for the descent scientific platform "Северный полюс" 98% ready
Eo-Zy8ZWEAMXb5x.jpg8614719_original.jpgorig-1608285748grqS9W12kOL1OqgzGvh5i772aWZpfP5ChndZCDtx.jpeg.jpg

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
A bit more drama in the tennis. Dropped at 5:52 pm on a Friday afternoon. Not a long weekend though.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I was looking for a graph drawing tool like yEd, except with some better export options and filtering capabilities. After not finding anything suitable in the freeware market, I start looking at payed software, figuring a couple hundred bucks might be worth it if it's good enough to save me some hassle. Found this yFiles thing that looked interesting. But no prices listed on the products page. I find the pricing page, go through a license wizzard, and get about the cheapest single seat license they have on offer, which is... above 10'000 dollars, without support (support is, like, another 4000 or so)? Either I completely misunderstood what I'm looking at, or these guys are certifiably insane ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So I was looking for a graph drawing tool like yEd, except with some better export options and filtering capabilities. After not finding anything suitable in the freeware market, I start looking at payed software, figuring a couple hundred bucks might be worth it if it's good enough to save me some hassle. Found this yFiles thing that looked interesting. But no prices listed on the products page. I find the pricing page, go through a license wizzard, and get about the cheapest single seat license they have on offer, which is... above 10'000 dollars, without support (support is, like, another 4000 or so)? Either I completely misunderstood what I'm looking at, or these guys are certifiably insane ?

The price sounds right to me. Its like licensing CAD software, which usually also costs you at least a kidney or a leg. (Unless you get FreeCAD).