Humor Random Comments Thread

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Hm, i wonder why some people name their systems while other people number them.
If only up to a half-dozen systems need to be managed, which I think would be the upper end in a household, names are useful: my system which you've seen above, due to being relatively small and powerful, is named "NUCLEAR-FOOTBALL":
1606423768257.png

If managing an entire business' worth of machines, which can number in the multiple dozens/hundreds at the low end, some kind of numeric code would make things easier.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I've seen names used with dozens of machines, but for hundreds/thousands, it tends to be numbers.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hm, up to 78 here already.
Kind of a hybrid, actually - names are a mix of location/type/hardware name and number.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Being in therapy to remobilise a broken thumb in mending... The only time you can tell your Boss "Sorry, I'll have to call you back, I'm busy twiddling my thumb right now!" ?

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Q: Why do programmers celebrate the anniversary of the battle of Cape Esperance?

A: Gotō considered harmful.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My 8-year old just proposed spinning up a tidally locked planet with a giant gyroscope/orbital ring to make it more habitable. He doesn't even watch Isaac Arthur yet since he doesn't know english... Makes me halfways terrified of what he'll come up with 10 years down the line.

Addendum: He just came to get a new sheet of paper, saying "I need to come up with a more intelligent civilisation". ?
When I asked him what happened to the old one, he explained that the increasing energy output from the aging star lead to the gyroscope accelerating too much, destabilising the planets orbit and plunging it into the sun. I know where he gets about half of these ideas from, but the other half seems to be just his imagination running away with the first half. It's fascinating...

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar

Thanks folks for your tips on the mesh on the shoutbox! Now I have cleaned my model and I am achieving my first steps. Eventually I plan to make my car for GenericVehicle, and when UCGO is available as well. It's my home car in real life and it's driven me to school a ton of times. And another lot of times we have fixed it with little, it is the version for Argentina, the Citroën 3CV Azam-M28. And I'm designing it in Blender 2.9 on Linux because I couldn't get it to open in Windows (I have Windows 7). I think it was an OpenGL 3 or Mesa problem or something like that.

Thanks for your advices and I hope I can make a decent add-on in due time. The next project I think will be an XB-70 Valkyrie (aircraft that I loved) and I am taking my first attempts at Blender.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
sigh ...those times when they still carved cars out of jade... ?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There's one guy in the parking lot. There's one slab of concrete falling. Of course it hits the car the guy is standing beside...
Also, I guess it's a good thing he had to clean the windshield. Otherwise he'd probably have been sitting in the car already. That's what we call "Glück im Unglück" in german ("Fortune in misfortune". There doesn't really seem to be an adequate saying in english).

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
No, one doesn't come to mind. Though we didn't invent schadenfreude either.
"Damning with faint praise" is useful.

I think "close, but no cigar" could be used. That's US of course.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
"close, but no cigar" would only fit from the standpoint of the slab of concrete, though ;)