Humor Random Comments Thread

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You Swiss are pretty keen on your primary school education, aren't you?

We are, actually, since there are already 2 or 3 levels of quality (depending on canton, of course) of it. In my canton you have 5 years of primary (which we call "lower level", though that is not a statement of quality), and then there's 4 years of primary called "upper level" which branches into three levels of quality which will already determine your early job opportunities (and you can only pass into our high-school equivalent from the highest level, though there are other opportunities to get that if you want it later in your live).

After talking with the dude I hope to soon be working for

Job application always gets a lot easier if you have the opportunity of talking to people before sending in your stuff :lol:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
We are, actually, since there are already 2 or 3 levels of quality (depending on canton, of course) of it. In my canton you have 5 years of primary (which we call "lower level", though that is not a statement of quality), and then there's 4 years of primary called "upper level" which branches into three levels of quality which will already determine your early job opportunities (and you can only pass into our high-school equivalent from the highest level, though there are other opportunities to get that if you want it later in your live).

I think what Thunder Chicken is referring to is that your example resume there implies that you spend most of a century in elementary school.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Job application always gets a lot easier if you have the opportunity of talking to people before sending in your stuff :lol:

True enough. I almost jumped for joy to find out he would be the guy in charge. He is absolutely number one on the list of "Pick your manager".

Everyone in the shop here seems to think it's a done deal. I told them not to jinx me; after all anything can happen.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think what Thunder Chicken is referring to is that your example resume there implies that you spend most of a century in elementary school.

Well, I had to repeat a few classes... :rofl:

Hadn't even noticed that. That should've been 1988, obviously. That would be quite the mistake to put into an actual CV... :shifty:

steph

Reaction score
Oh man, this is epic stuff. Must get the books ASAP

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

H.P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu

Edit: Can't believe no one tried to make a movie about this. He's basically describing an incredibly advanced , sinister alien master race. And this was written before the whole spaceflight thing began. Forget the wraiths of Stargate, the xenomorphs or the Borgs. These guys are waaay more sinister. Seriously, this is good science-fiction material

Last edited:

birdmanmike

Reaction score
Oh man, this is epic stuff. Must get the books ASAP

Edit: Can't believe no one tried to make a movie about this. He's basically describing an incredibly advanced , sinister alien master race. And this was written before the whole spaceflight thing began. Forget the wraiths of Stargate, the xenomorphs or the Borgs. These guys are waaay more sinister. Seriously, this is good science-fiction material

Ummm, search Lovecraft films - Wikipedia lists 20 Cthulhu mythos and 8 others

:hailprobe: - (or The Colour Out of Space :rofl:)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Lots of attempts have been made to make a good Lovecraft film, but most of them fall far short. Lovecraft had a great way of describing terrible beings without actually giving too much of a physical description, leaving the worst horror for your imagination to fill in. Most movie makers can't figure out how to translate that to a screen without mucking it up.

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
This is aweeeee...some... No, I won't stand beside a burning rocket stage... :leaving:

CZ3B-Booster-Fire.jpeg

205918ulzuo1pnoa3osp8s.jpg

Chinese villagers captured remarkable footage just after sunrise on Friday showing a Long March 3B rocket booster falling out of the sky, crashing into a mountain and exploding into flames while releasing highly toxic propellants left in its tanks after helping send a pair of Beidou-3 navigation satellites on their way into orbit.

Source: Spaceflight101.com

Just realized I didn't make a launch thread for that. :facepalm: Sorry.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
French Rafale Fighters Will Deploy Aboard An American Supercarrier This April
A number of Marine Nationale Rafale-M multi-role fighter jets and E-2C Hawkeye airborne early warning and control aircraft, along with 350 support personnel and aircrew, will deploy aboard the USS George H.W. Bush this Spring. Not only will the multi-national operation work to give Rafale-M aircrews much needed carrier qualifications—France's only carrier has been undergoing a mid-life refit—but it also aims to expand the two countries' abilities to operate fighter aircraft cooperatively from the sea for prolonged periods of time.

This looks like it'll be interesting. (In a good way, mind you) Certainly going to be odd to see Rafales on the deck of a Nimitz for more than a few hours to days.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is aweeeee...some... No, I won't stand beside a burning rocket stage... :leaving:

CZ3B-Booster-Fire.jpeg

Chinese villagers captured remarkable footage just after sunrise on Friday showing a Long March 3B rocket booster falling out of the sky, crashing into a mountain and exploding into flames while releasing highly toxic propellants left in its tanks after helping send a pair of Beidou-3 navigation satellites on their way into orbit.

Crazy to go anywhere near that, even if it's not burning you have no idea what kind of toxic stuff is in those things. That sickly orange cloud in that second photo? That looks like hypergolic stuff to me. No thanks, I prefer my lungs to remain in working order, please.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Crazy to go anywhere near that, even if it's not burning you have no idea what kind of toxic stuff is in those things. That sickly orange cloud in that second photo? That looks like hypergolic stuff to me. No thanks, I prefer my lungs to remain in working order, please.

That's because it is hypergolic. That BFRC (Big Frickin' Red Cloud) would certainly have me running upwind. :lol:

Linguofreak

Reaction score

CZ3B-Booster-Fire.jpeg

Why does the link go through Facebook instead of being direct? I assume you just pasted it out of Facebook?

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
Yes, Linguofreak. I saw the news on Facebook first, so I just copied the link and pasted it here. I have updated the link with the proper one that directs one to the news page itself. Thanks for the heads-up.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Amazon played Ding-Dong-Ditch-It with me today. Got a package delivered, right street address but wrong name. I called and said that I wasn't the intended recipient, Amazon apologized and said to keep the package.

I am now the proud owner of two (2) copies of Tommy Two Shoes. Colorful, but the plot is a bit thin.

Somebody really dun goofed. I happen to work in the outbound side of Amazon these days and I can only think of one or two ways that managed to slip the like...four different places where that should have been caught.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Forget the wraiths of Stargate

Forgot them long ago. Atlantis was a good show overall, but they had the second most terrible villains of any scifi show I've seen (first place being the... wraiths? seriously? ...of DS-9. Maybe it's something with the name...)