Humor Random Comments Thread

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Excellent, mind you we haven't got any left!

I would post a link, but i,m on mobile thing. The latest carrier for uk is entering its home port for the first time

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
That kind of thinking is what entices those bolts to seize further than is reasonable. :rofl:
Penetrating oil has already been applied, and my torch and 2' breaker bar are at the ready. Original torques are all around 30 ft-lb, so with seizing it should only require 10x that amount of torque to snap the bolts back them out. :dry:

Actually the only difficulty is getting a tool on these bolts without dismantling half of the engine. My driver side mount is easily accessible, the front mount less so, and my transmission mount requires the air box to be removed.

The rear mount requires a lift to access it from the bottom. Enlisting the aid of children or small women with small hands and super-human grip strength would definitely be a nice-to-have.

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The rear mount requires a lift to access it from the bottom. Enlisting the aid of children or small women with small hands and super-human grip strength would definitely be a nice-to-have.

Visit your local climbing gym and hold up a cardboard sign outside. Plenty of small women with super-human grip strength there. :)

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Huh? last time I checked, the Pi3 did have more cpu cores. Has it been downgraded?

A couple of months after the Pi 3 release, the Pi 2 got the same CPU as the Pi 3. Note that this is the Pi 2 v1.2.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Just dropped my wife off at the airport for a two-week trip.

a0278d6ebd9591c39e398b65ed9c5dd9d7d6ea7686578f1088d41908c6b92ca4.jpg

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Did dropping her off make you Scottish? :p

No, but I can now drink Scotch without persecution for a few weeks.

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

I found that being a photographer does that for me. Also looking like me helps.

Whatever you do, don't sit on a park bench near the elementary school.

I hope you don't drive a white Chevy van too.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, why not something like that:

VW_Bus_T1_in_Hippie_Colors_2_retouched.jpg

But personally, I prefer the classic painting style of a Samba more there:

Samba%281%29.jpg

Those T1 Samba cost used in good condition much more today as their current successor, T6... you can calculate with about 70000€-110000€ there. They are extremely popular and the robust construction means they age pretty well...

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There's not too many bad things one can say about those old air-cooled VWs. Only gripe was that if you didn't stay on top of them they would rust, especially the heat exchangers. I think that was common among most auto finishes back then, though.

My dad had two Beetles when I was little, the second one was a 73 Super Beetle which he drove into the early 80s. He always regretted trading it in, it was in fine shape and according to him it was the best car he ever had.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
You guys are seriously making me want to get an old Microbus...

Here is a VW bus simulation from the driver's seat, full speed.

[ame="https://youtu.be/1oFPveNebPE?t=15"]Sesame Street season 7 end credits (1975-76) - YouTube[/ame]

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The steering wheel is at the wrong angle.

---------- Post added 08-19-17 at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-18-17 at 08:43 PM ----------

Reading the thread about water ice on Mars actually makes me miss playing BattleTech. At a game convention once I hosted a game in which a battle takes place in Noctis Labyrinthus on Mars. It was a mash-up of B-Tech and War of the Worlds; ancient Martians dwelling underground had tried to invade Earth with three-legged Tripod "battlemechs", and now ComStar was on the offensive, duking it out with the Martians in amongst rock formations on the surface of Mars. Had to build cool scenery for the table for that one, and used low-gravity rules. The Martian "Mechs" required a custom sheet and damage table, and made up new (for BTech) weapons: the Martian rocket pods and of course, the mighty Heat Ray!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Reading the thread about water ice on Mars actually makes me miss playing BattleTech. At a game convention once I hosted a game in which a battle takes place in Noctis Labyrinthus on Mars. It was a mash-up of B-Tech and War of the Worlds; ancient Martians dwelling underground had tried to invade Earth with three-legged Tripod "battlemechs", and now ComStar was on the offensive, duking it out with the Martians in amongst rock formations on the surface of Mars. Had to build cool scenery for the table for that one, and used low-gravity rules. The Martian "Mechs" required a custom sheet and damage table, and made up new (for BTech) weapons: the Martian rocket pods and of course, the mighty Heat Ray!

Our first scenario convention had the following evil combination for playing the first stage of the scenario on the surface of a large asteroid mine:

- parallel secret movement
- low gravity
- vacuum

We allowed quite large units, around batallion size. After this first stage, only a few lances had been left. Most died by friendly collisions causing depressurizations because players of the team did not talk with each other and simply optimized their movement egoistically. Was important for teaching, but also very frustrating for the teams.

In the end the winning team won the scenario by a single Phoenixhawk without legs. While all other teams fought a major melee on one of the lower levels of the mine, they managed to drop the Phoenixhawk on a huge minecart and let it travel completely ignored through the mine.

Was a very important convention for us the PhoenixCon I in 2000... we learned a lot about designing scenarios and eventually reduced the scenario to a short event on the saturday for the interested players and offered more variety on our convention.

If you are around in Germany and want get some battletech (or good meals), the PhoenixCon XVII is scheduled for the 26th October (A thursday) to the 29th. We host the German Battletech Championship again. :)

http://con.phoenixguard.de/

Last edited: