Shame, Jonathon Amos is usually good.

N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, that's moderately making sense. I suppose I do say Nasa, but spell USA and FBI or MMB(Milk Marketing Board, UK, long gone).

N.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
About 20 minutes ago my smart phone started acting wonky and suddenly won't charge.

I'm about to go on a 4 day trip out of town and was counting on it working.

Murphy's Law strikes again!

Linguofreak

Reaction score
About 20 minutes ago my smart phone started acting wonky and suddenly won't charge.

Define "wonky".

I had a period recently where my phone was charging intermittently and eventually stopped charging: right after it stopped charging, I found a burnt spot in the insulation on my charging cable. The fault had been in the cable and not the phone all along.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score

Define "wonky".

I had a period recently where my phone was charging intermittently and eventually stopped charging: right after it stopped charging, I found a burnt spot in the insulation on my charging cable. The fault had been in the cable and not the phone all along.

Andy, you wouldn't happen to have pets with a tendency to chew on things, would you? My sister's cat loves to chew on white charging cords... and only white. Black ones, for whatever reason, are simply unpalatable.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
The submarine UC3 Nautilus, which supported the Copenhagen Suborbitals launch attempts, sunk today under mysterious circumstances.

According to the designer and owner, he did some tests with the submarine until the ballast tank system failed. He was rescued by the coastguard.

There is some suspicion that a journalist who was believed to be on board and is now missing was murdered. The owner is being held by the police.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...r-held-copenhagen-police-suspicion-murdering/

Very strange.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Define "wonky".

Nope, different cables, same result.

The phone started beeping and a message box would flash up repeatedly like some app was stuck. Restarting didn't help. Removing the battery didn't help. Starting in safe mode didn't help. Plugged into anything phone says the charger is not the "official" charger. I think I'm screwed.

Andy, you wouldn't happen to have pets with a tendency to chew on things, would you? My sister's cat loves to chew on white charging cords... and only white. Black ones, for whatever reason, are simply unpalatable.

Nope, no pets, and it's not a cable problem. It looks like a phone hardware problem.

And I don't have time to waste at a phone store getting a new phone and reloading all my stuff tomorrow. <sigh>

---------- Post added 08-12-17 at 06:57 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-11-17 at 11:21 PM ----------

So I reset some settings on it and it seems to charge now, but it's not as "smart" as it was before. Off on my road trip now, wish me luck!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Did somebody already try running Jenkins on a Raspberry Pi 2? The performance seems to be rather mediocre there, does somebody have some subjective impression how the speed is? I don't plan using it for actual development, I want to have a highly portable solution for tutoring.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Did somebody already try running Jenkins on a Raspberry Pi 2?

I have a bit of experience with jenkins and quite a bit with the raspi 2, but not combined. However, when it comes to task crunching, the raspi 2 really isn't that good.

It should run the server just fine, there's plenty of memory, however building stuff on the pi does take time. How feasible the idea is is really down to how complex the applications have to be that you're building for your tutoring purposes. Running a few simple java unit tests and doing a maven build of simple code will work just fine for any purposes (especially when using the oracle jdk for running code - that thing is more than double as fast as openJVM!). Compiling complex stuff will take time. As a very rough benchmark, we compile the gphoto2 library natively on the pi during device setup, and while I have never measured the time exactly, I'd guess from felt memory that it takes somewhere around 5 minutes.

The pi3 does a bit better, but usually copmiler tasks don't make use of the additional cores available.

So if you just need something to show the concepts, the pi2 will do fine. If compiling and managing builds of complex and long dependency chains is part of your tutoring, there might be a lot of waiting involved. A VM on a thumbdrive might be the better highly portable alternative here.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A VM on a thumbdrive might be the better highly portable alternative here.

Well the problem is, that we need to bring our own CPU... and using a laptop might mean management has to get involved... and I prefer letting the plan mature enough that management can't stop it. :lol:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Now THAT's a new one to me. :blink:

Yeah, I think some of the clunking that I am experiencing are the motor mounts bottoming out. Some Googling suggests this was a thing with the 7th generation Civics. I looked at them and they are intact (no splits anywhere), but when the engine runs they don't dampen any vibration. I can push down on the engine by hand and bottom out the driver's side mount, squashes like it is made of foam.

They don't look too hard to replace (except the rear mount, need a lift for that). I just ordered an aftermarket mount set and will put it in when they come in.

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
They don't look too hard to replace (except the rear mount, need a lift for that). I just ordered an aftermarket mount set and will put it in when they come in.

That kind of thinking is what entices those bolts to seize further than is reasonable. :rofl:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Well the problem is, that we need to bring our own CPU... and using a laptop might mean management has to get involved... and I prefer letting the plan mature enough that management can't stop it. :lol:

Any reason you haven't looked at the Raspberry Pi 3? It's got a decent performance bump compared to the 2 if that's an issue.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Any reason you haven't looked at the Raspberry Pi 3? It's got a decent performance bump compared to the 2 if that's an issue.

Actually its just a matter of availability and rapid research. I can get a complete Raspberry Pi 2 kit (+case, radiators, power supply) in less than 24 hours by geographic coincidence. It would take a few days longer with a Raspberry Pi 3 and cost a bit more.

Also the Raspberry Pi 3 has a onboard Wifi module, which might make it less suitable because of security concerns... don't ask, it makes no sense unless you are inside a closed system of axioms...

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
FYI, the Pi 2 and Pi 3 have the same hardware now. The only difference is the addition of the Wifi module.