Humor Random Comments Thread

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
ISS took a debris hit on one of the cupola window panes a few days ago.

http://www.cnet.com/news/theres-something-scary-on-one-of-the-space-station-windows/

iu

I can already imagine the classic scene:

Astronaut 1: -Star Wars is better than Star Trek!-
Astronaut 2: -Star Trek is better than Star Wars!-

Then one of the two astronauts take a smuggling gun (which hid on arrival at the ISS) and shoot, so good luck impacting the shielded glass of cupola.
iu

-Okay- say the astronauts, we will see Matrix.

:shifty:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Anybody know what the scale of this damage is?

I was a graduate student at UMass - Amherst. My advisor was a materials engineer who was doing research on micrometeorite damage on Space Shuttle windows. NASA had a procedure to polish out the damage, but what they didn't realize was that it was only filling in the cracks, making them optically invisible but not actually smoothing out the damage. These were the outer panes, not the ones in the pressure hull, but still these outer windows needed to have damage kept below a certain size to prevent crack growth and to maintain their toughness to prevent impact failures.

Not sure about the actual size, but I heard paint chip.

Koloss

Weyland-Yutani Corp.
Donator
Reaction score
It's 1:16 a.m. in Germany. I just got home from rehearsal with my band. Got a few beer and I'm going to the moon now. Perfect saturday evening :cheers:

Unstung

Reaction score
I started watching Space Brothers, it's free on Crunchyroll. I didn't expect it to be so silly, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think there's too much exposition though. For brothers, they look too dissimilar. Mutta actually looks Asian, but Hibito looks white. That and the use of Engrish, especially in America, breaks the suspension of disbelief. My complaints aren't major and the story does a good job of making me like Mutta.

The story's conflict takes place in a much less science fiction world than Planetes, for comparison. No futuristic technology has been shown so far.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
If the museum's project is completed, Eric will form the centrepiece of a new robotic exhibition, which is due to run from February to September 2017.

The exhibition will showcase the evolution of modern robotics from a 1582 iron manikin to the toy robots of the 1950s.

If it gets the Science Museum more visitors, that's good. The more that's interested in science the better. Might even go along to it.
He is a scary looking robot though. I prefer Boston Dynamics...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY
N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A Lilienthal glider has been examined in the German-Dutch wind tunnel to find out more about Lilienthals fatal crash.

Interestingly, the glider is not only extremely stable and easy to fly according to the researchers, but also performs as claimed according to Lilienthals own research without modern aerodynamic tools. It has a rather poor glide number of 4 (Like a parafoil), but otherwise there is little to complain about the first heavier than air flying machine.

By these results, it looks more like Lilienthals fatal crash was not caused by inherent technical problems, but rather because of poor wind conditions at that day.

http://www.dlr.de/dlr/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-10081/151_read-17784/#/gallery/22963

The tested Normalsegelapparat was also the first series produced aircraft, produced nine times and sold worldwide back then.

Germany is just celebrating 125 years of human flight here, the Lilienthal glides have a higher importance here than in the USA for example.

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Ijon Tichy is apparently on Netflix now... how on earth did that happen? :blink:

Prof. Tarantoga sent him through time to reveal his Star Diaries to next/previous generations.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
And let's not forget how an Il-62 airliner (fairly big aircraft) was landed and transformed in a museum where Lilienthal flew.