Humor Random Comments Thread

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Runs much better in Edge and Firefox than Chrome, but still low FPS on my tablet PC (<20).

CPU: Intel Core i3 4020Y, integrated GPU, 4GB RAM. This evening I'll test it on my desktop.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Unfortunately, I'm looking at about 5 FPS, maybe 10 when I die.
Yeah, tons of physics and inefficient compiler...
I was doing debugging/delagging passes along the day, so if you tried it more than an hour or two ago it might be faster now.

In any case it's only a proof of concept i thrown together over the week, so there is still hope.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Don't they plan to generate it directly from the magnetic field's rotation? At least in the magnetic confinement schemes.

From what I have understood (I can be wrong), the nuclear fusion reactor ITER (the ITER experiment will not produce energy, but it is the concept) would heat a plasma of tritium and deuterium 50MW, and begin to fuse deuterium and tritium, increasing heat (such as starting a chain reaction), and in that heat would heat water, which produce steam that would move turbines and produce electricity.
https://youtu.be/cCkp2SEsfao?t=2m16s
cooling_1.jpg

It would be a form of thermonuclear energy, but instead of producing steam by heating water heat product of nuclear fission, fusion reactor would produce steam, with the heat from nuclear fusion.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Tried it on the desktop (i7 4790K @4.5GHz, GTX770) and can confirm that performance is much worse on Chrome than on Firefox or Edge.

I think I have a bug to report:
when some of the units are reduced to two triangles, they seem to become unstable in size and rotation.

Example of when this happens:
aoo8DZg.jpg

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The Swiss government has realised that I have a special needs child.
Subsequently, they have begun to throw money at me :blink:
Apparently, it doesn't matter if you actually need it. They are adamant that I have a right to it. It feels slightly awkward.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, tons of physics and inefficient compiler...
I was doing debugging/delagging passes along the day, so if you tried it more than an hour or two ago it might be faster now.

In any case it's only a proof of concept i thrown together over the week, so there is still hope.

Can confirm its running better on Chrome.

Managed to beat it in 424.44 seconds, with 1 life left now that it's not laggy. Though not sure why the death-star thingy only shoots at you after all the fighters are destroyed, but not before. The only way of beating it that I can see is that you leave one fighter alive, then try to lose it for a moment, dig a hole in the structure, then try to lose it again.

Also, is it just me or was this on Greenlight a while back? I swear I saw something like it...

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The only way of beating it that I can see is that you leave one fighter alive, then try to lose it for a moment, dig a hole in the structure, then try to lose it again.
A hint: Your laser is a tiny bit longer. Combined with the fact that weapons don't do partial damage, you can do some interesting things.

I swear I saw something like it...
The game dates back to 2011, and i posted it a few times before, including a week ago here.
Never heard of it getting any publicity wider than one page on a forum, but i won't be surprised if there is something similar around - the core idea isn't that much different from The first computer game - Spacewar - of which there are plenty of clones and derivatives of every size, shape and form.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
From what I have understood (I can be wrong), the nuclear fusion reactor ITER (the ITER experiment will not produce energy, but it is the concept) would heat a plasma of tritium and deuterium 50MW, and begin to fuse deuterium and tritium, increasing heat (such as starting a chain reaction), and in that heat would heat water, which produce steam that would move turbines and produce electricity.
https://youtu.be/cCkp2SEsfao?t=2m16s

It would be a form of thermonuclear energy, but instead of producing steam by heating water heat product of nuclear fission, fusion reactor would produce steam, with the heat from nuclear fusion.

Yes. One of the many technical challenges to getting up to operational status is getting the thermal radiation to the water to boil it without thermally overstressing the walls of the tokamak. The heat flux is large, and the thermal gradients in the vessel walls are significant. Materials with very low expansion coefficients, but with the toughness of steel, are the dream. We're trying to put a star in a bottle, and it really wants to be free.

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

I do not know why, but I think that there should be a symbol for nuclear fusion. Then I did this:
nd0h7s42sah6i1w6g.jpg

The asterisk represents usable energy (heat for example) to generate electricity.

Is the symbol well? It correctly transmits the idea?
:idk:

I am an engineer up on the fusion process, and I see deuterium and tritium fusing to He-4, releasing a neutron and heat. Not sure what the rest of the world would make of it though.

Looks like it would be great CD album cover art. Now we just need to get a band together. :lol:

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
I am an engineer up on the fusion process, and I see deuterium and tritium fusing to He-4, releasing a neutron and heat.
It worked better than I thought.

Not sure what the rest of the world would make of it though.
Yes, I also think that, but it seems that already happened. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionizing_radiation#Radiation_hazard_warning_signs

It works at least technically. Besides, so I have understood, nuclear fusion does not represent a hazard itself as nuclear fission. The idea and concept I brought forth out of images on the Internet to be precise with the drawing of the elements. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Looks like it would be great CD album cover art. Now we just need to get a band together. :lol:

Perfect, it could be called Cold Fusion, and we could make a song, for the enlightened guy who brought the cold nuclear fusion to my country: Ronald Richter.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am an engineer up on the fusion process
Get ready for a rain of questions if it occurs.
:shifty:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
It works at least technically. Besides, so I have understood, nuclear fusion does not represent a hazard itself as nuclear fission. The idea and concept I brought forth out of images on the Internet to be precise with the drawing of the elements. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The energy emission at high fusion temperatures is in the higher energy EM spectrum (UV, X-rays, etc.). And the neutrons released during the deuterium-tritium cycle can react with nuclei of surrounding materials, creating new isotopes that may be radioactive (a process called neutron activation). And the He-4 created is essentially an alpha particle.

But outside of the activation products it is improbable that anyone would be directly exposed to the other radiations since they would only occur inside the reactor while it was operating. If the reactor failed for any reason, all that would just cease.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And the next dead musician. :( Just got news that Peter Behrens, the drummer of the German band Trio died at the age of 68.

Peter_Behrens.jpg

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
ISS took a debris hit on one of the cupola window panes a few days ago.

http://www.cnet.com/news/theres-something-scary-on-one-of-the-space-station-windows/

Anybody know what the scale of this damage is?

I was a graduate student at UMass - Amherst. My advisor was a materials engineer who was doing research on micrometeorite damage on Space Shuttle windows. NASA had a procedure to polish out the damage, but what they didn't realize was that it was only filling in the cracks, making them optically invisible but not actually smoothing out the damage. These were the outer panes, not the ones in the pressure hull, but still these outer windows needed to have damage kept below a certain size to prevent crack growth and to maintain their toughness to prevent impact failures.