DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
tumblr_npr3qnCs591rdy7odo1_1280.png

Bibi Uncle

50% Orbinaut, 50% Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Finally got my portfolio website up (after I found an internship, of course, but I figure it will be handy in the future too). If you can spare a few minutes, take a look and tell me what you think:

http://raoc.azurewebsites.net

Nice website ! I didn't read it all, but the text looks fine (English is only my second language). I really like the scrolling on the main page. Works like a charm. I tested it on IE9 and upwards. IE8 has a problem with the screen on the right, but IE8 should be dead and buried.

I would change the font-family of the text. Check on Google Fonts for free professional looking fonts. And consider buying a domain name to look more professionnal. You can look at those new ".me" TLDs, although they cost a bit more.

On the technology side, what's your opinion about Azure? My website is currently hosted on Digital Ocean, but my lack of knowledge of Linux probably makes it vulnerable... Maybe a more complete solution would be better.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I might try it after I finish Hamlet :lol:

I have to confess, I've never read Hamlet start to finish. For me, it's completely Undiscovered Country.

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

On the technology side, what's your opinion about Azure? My website is currently hosted on Digital Ocean, but my lack of knowledge of Linux probably makes it vulnerable... Maybe a more complete solution would be better.

I'm also interested in your thoughts on Azure. I have free Azure credit each month via my company-provided MSDN subscription, but I've never utilized that particular benefit.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm really not much of a reference, being technically very inexpierienced in the field. From a development perspective, the integration with visual studio and sql server managment studio makes it very comfortable to use, if your web-app is developed with those tools. Though the "one-click" publish method rarely works as advertised, once you have the site deployed and working, updating any aspect of it does indeed become almost a one-click afair. Well, at least for simple apps like websites.

On the service provision side, well... azure is really kind of too big to just host a website. Azure is designed to be a rentable data-center with flexible scaling, redundancies and globaly distributed failover servers. So if I got a million visitors tomorrow between 10 and 12 for some silly reason, I allegedly could keep the site going with a few mouseclicks, or even automatically if I configured my scaling options in advance. I don't think I would want the bill for that, though. The whole system is designed so you pay for the resources you actually use, which comes with the disadvantage that I currently don't know the exact monthly costs...

Another reason that I went with azure though is that I know that it can very well get a potential employers attention. Azure is primarily targeted at businesses, and having working experience with it can be an asset when looking for a job.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is all you really need to know about Hamlet:

I did read it a while ago, that post was really just to continue the series of star trek movie related quips... Contrary to most, though, I seem to enjoy reading shakespear (a well-executed play is better, of course, but the opportunities to see a shakespear play in english in Switzerland are almost as rare as the opportunities to observe supernovae...).

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

I would change the font-family of the text. Check on Google Fonts for free professional looking fonts.

I am somewhat font-blind, so usually I just go with Arial because I know that it won't mess anything up... :shifty: Practically all of the site design is just me sticking to conventions that are known to work, without any creative experiments whatsoever. Because when I start with those, things usually go downhill very fast :lol:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Finally got my portfolio website up (after I found an internship, of course, but I figure it will be handy in the future too). If you can spare a few minutes, take a look and tell me what you think:

http://raoc.azurewebsites.net

If you spot any typoes while you're there, I'd be glad to know, although I don't expect anybody to read through the whole thing.
I know that the thing still has one or two issues on phones, but I don't have any means of testing it on something intermiediate like tablets other than just checking the layout, so if somebody visits it with a tablet, tell me what the handling feels like.

Like it! It seems quite polished, but I'd change two things:
  • Capitalize the start of the sentences first seen upon loading
  • Make it so that, upon first loading, a sliver of white is seen on the bottom to make it more apparent that there is something to scroll to

Both are mostly related to the fact that the first impact is that of just some uncapitalized text thrown on an image, even though there is much more to the page than that.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A more appropriate solution would be to show a circle with a $.scrollTo('#anchor') in a onClick event so that it scrolls down nice and progressively, while inviting the viewer to discover more.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
So, I was thinking about going out to Vandenberg AFB for the August SpaceX launch, since it's only about 3 1/2 hours from me. Has anyone seen a launch out there in person?

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
[*]Capitalize the start of the sentences first seen upon loading

Also the headings (ie projects, about me) probably should be capitalized as well. It doesnt really matter that much, but If you are using it as a portfolio, its probably good to take care of small details like that.

Other than that, its a nice design. Is it using bootstrap?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Squirrels taking a shortcut by bird, racoons hitching rides with aligators... This does sound like an intruiging opening of some dark "revenge of mother nature" horror comedy, alright... :shifty:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Does anyone else associate "spaceship" with soft sci-fi and "spacecraft" with hard sci-fi/real life?

(not talking about SpaceShipOne/Two)

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Does anyone else associate "spaceship" with soft sci-fi and "spacecraft" with hard sci-fi/real life?

(not talking about SpaceShipOne/Two)

Not really. I usually think of space ship as referring to a manned vehicle, and spacecraft being a general term, but that's just me.

Then there is space vehicle...

Really they are all interchangeable. Except for star ship, which is a type of spacecraft that currently doesn't exist. At least not from Earth, anyway.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
If there are "spacecraft" and "starship" terms, how about "starcraft"? - Somehow I'm not associating that name with general term for for "interstellar vehicle". :p

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to get Windows 7 to use classic window decoration without loading the Windows classic theme? I had a customized classic theme and then made a settings change for a legacy program that ended up kicking me into Aero without warning. All my other theme settings stayed the same, but my theme became an Aero theme and I wasn't able to find any way to change it back to classic without loading the default Windows Classic theme and recustomizing from there. I've already done that, but I'm frustrated: It seems to be all the rage these days for desktop UI designers to lobotomize their windowing toolkits, GUIs, and associated configuration tools regardless of OS (I'm looking at *you* GNOME), but surely even Microsoft wouldn't lobotomize things *that* badly, right? I'm just blind and stupid and I'm missing some setting that's right in front of me, right? I have a sinking feeling that the answer is "Wrong! The lobotomy is as complete as you fear." :(

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If there are "spacecraft" and "starship" terms, how about "starcraft"? - Somehow I'm not associating that name with general term for for "interstellar vehicle". :p
Because that's the name of a real time strategy game series?

edit: let me guess, your post was sarcastic, wasn't it?

Last edited: