Sire
Managed to get hands on an older Spacepilot controller... :hailprobe:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Oh goodie, parents is going out for vacation in Poland and I get to come with them :woohoo:

If you'll be staying in Warsaw or near drop me a PM.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You mean, like, those 3d mouse thingies? Somehow I never quite understood what they do exactly...

I used a first generation one (still with a DLR logo on it) for controlling a robot arm at the university... which was very easy after a few minutes of getting used to it.

Primary use for those controllers is CAD though, like quickly rotating or translating views or objects.

But you can also use it for Orbiter as a very intuitive controller for steering spacecraft in orbit.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
Okay, was working on some detailed .msh for the addon I'm making, but ran into an issue. I didn't know how big a feedline would be. I thought up a way to calculate, but I want to know if it has any faults.

Okay, first stage uses RP-1 (.806 g/ml)/LOX (1.141 g/cc).
First stage engine has a Isp of 338 (vacuum) and 309 (sea level) and produces a force of 12400 kN at sea level. So:

Mass flow - 12,400,000/9.81/309 = 4090 kg/s. The engine has a O/F ratio of 1:2.6, so oxidizer flow is 1136 kg/s and fuel flow is 2953 kg/s.

With the given densities of the propellant, this amounts to 3,663,771 cm3/s for RP-1 and 995,617 cm3/s for LOX, using this calculator.

So using this calculator, the RP-1 feedline is 0.69 meters in diameter and the LOX feedline is 0.36 m in diameter.

Any thoughts?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So using this calculator, the RP-1 feedline is 0.69 meters in diameter and the LOX feedline is 0.36 m in diameter.

The calculator feels a bit strange to me, usually you would expect some words like "total pressure" or "viscosity" there to get the necessary diameter including factors like pressure drop.

Especially the LOX feed line appears a bit optimistic in comparison. I need to look for the data at home, but I believe you have about the same mass flow as two SSMEs there, but a much smaller pipe diameter than a single one (but don't nail me on that, I can't remember the exact number, it could also be around 800 kg/s for one SSME, instead of 600 kg/s)

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
10320478_851585911530896_3825521458076062679_n.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I want something like the Earth.dll file located in /modules/Celbody but for another planet (my planet).

yes, but you have two options there:
Defining an ephemeris module for more accurate planetary orbits than plain Kepler orbits
Defining an atmosphere model

If you need neither, you can just use a configuration file for the start.

Sorry for my english, I'm spanish.

Sorry for my English, I'm German.:tiphat:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What's that in the sky?

It's a Saturn Typo!:lol:

No, that looks like a Gemini atop a Saturn V, and it's probably a mission name "Gemini-Saturn 1", just as Apollo missions were "Apollo-Saturn X".

IIRC the proposed direct ascent mode of a lunar mission involved using a 2-man Gemini capsule with a descent stage to land on the moon, and an ascent stage to lift off and return to earth, with no seperate lander and no rendezvous in lunar orbit to worry about.