Humor Random Comments Thread

MattBaker

Reaction score
The next Soyuz commander is the son of two pontic greeks, born in the Georgian SSR and living in Russia since he's finished high school.
Hey, ethnic diversity and multiculturalism works.:thumbup:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Ah....now I know why I'm more sleepy than ever..... :rofl:

co2_weekly_mlo_since1800.png

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Aaaand now I want to play Sub Command (Ironic, with the posts mojoey has been making, because it was also made by Sonalysts, who made Dangerous Waters. I think that was actually the 'spiritual successor' to SC). Wanting to play SC makes me sad, and also frustrates me.

You see, there was a glitch in the third mission. It couldn't be finished. I never got past it, and I actually only recently got rid of the game (that's the sad part - I actually liked the game quite a bit).

There was a Udaloy that was doing a missile test, shooting down an empty drone (an Airbus A330 I believe). Your objective was to take station on the Udaloy, observe the test, take a picture, then leave, without being detected. Problem was you could satisfy all the mission criteria, and you still could not achieve Mission Complete status.

And now I know why.

"Conn, Sonar, cavitating!"

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

Uh oh, this could be bad. Three really good classics, and I could spend hours on all three. *sigh* If I get this, the ideas I have for the Cortez will never see the light of day.
http://www.amazon.com/Naval-Combat-Pack-Pc/dp/B000HUPKH6

Oh man, that'll be hard to resist! I would probably get it on Steam though. (It's there :) )
I don't know if it's any more compatible on Steam than otherwise though. My original CD for 688(I) didn't like new OSs too much.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I got my 688(i) to work on Win 7 64 after some tinkering. Sound was an issue though.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Carbon dioxide shows effects when reaching 1% or 1000 ppm. While it's quite easy to reach that value in your apartment you would need a few hundred USA's to achieve that worldwide.

And a little fun fact about the ISS trouble: The US permissible exposure limit for ammonia is 50 ppm though it is questionable if legal limits apply in space, too.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Oh man, that'll be hard to resist! I would probably get it on Steam though. (It's there :) )
I don't know if it's any more compatible on Steam than otherwise though. My original CD for 688(I) didn't like new OSs too much.

Yeah I saw that it was out there. Considered grabbing it that way. Amazon has the digital download option of the trio though, so I may go that route instead.

I know Sub Command will work on Windows 7, not concerned there. It'd be Fleet Command and 688(i) I might have to mess with (or run in a virtual).

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I think I'll just have a seat...
<video>

Actually, I looked more like Riker a few months ago...

HOW DID I NEVER NOTICE HIM DOING THIS IN THE ENTIRE TIME I WATCHED THIS SHOW WHAT THE *mind blown*

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:55 ----------

Yeah I saw that it was out there. Considered grabbing it that way. Amazon has the digital download option of the trio though, so I may go that route instead.

I know Sub Command will work on Windows 7, not concerned there. It'd be Fleet Command and 688(i) I might have to mess with (or run in a virtual).

Steam versions of all three work just fine on Windows 7. :hello:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
One of the guys I went to high school with noticed him doing it a few times back in the day, but I don't think any of us realized how often he really did it.

He always referred to it as "Rikering a chair."

**EDIT**

Well, well, well, lookie what I found safely tucked away in a container in the garage, probably since I moved last year. :)

So glad I didn't get rid of it! :woohoo:

"Conn, Sonar, I have a new contact!"

Attachments

• SubCommand.jpg
    SubCommand.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
New job is very satisfying: working in a garden centre. Outside all day, watering plants, and putting out the occasional cigarette fire. Not getting further ahead financially, but hey, it's not a kitchen.

Kitchens aren't that bad you know. I actually really enjoy my weekend job at the local airport cafe. (Kitchener-Waterloo, YKF) Its nasty work ploughing through food & garbage, but time spent arms deep in a sink is great for thinking. I forsee many a good Orbiter idea arising there :thumbup:.

You should see my new job. After a couple of weeks of searching, I finally got an interview at an old mill, sort of a local landmark in my town. The storefront is pretty normal for a fabric store, but the area where I work on the third floor looks like its vintage from when the building was built ... World War I. Its really cool though.

A vertical forest is nearly complete in Milan. There are two tower apartment complexes which contain a total of 400 residential units. The facade of the buildings will be covered with 730 trees, 5,000 shrubs, and 11,000 perennial plants. It is expected to have the same ecological impact as 10,000 square meters of forest.

393160_592609014093447_1101162663_n.jpg

Aside from fighting smog and producing oxygen, the foliage is expected to provide insulation to the residential units.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/16/worlds-first-vertical-for_n_1097867.html

Hmm - idea seems good however living with all those trees on the building amount of insects will be staggering. Beetles, wasps, maybe even hornets will have great feeding ground next to suitable home.

Wow, cool.

It almost looks like the flying islands from Avatar

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Kitchens aren't that bad you know. I actually really enjoy my weekend job at the local airport cafe. (Kitchener-Waterloo, YKF) Its nasty work ploughing through food & garbage, but time spent arms deep in a sink is great for thinking. I forsee many a good Orbiter idea arising there :thumbup:.

An airport café must not be too bad, as far as kitchens go. :p

8-12 hours of staring at nothing but my hands in crappy water, listening to people swearing, being unable to take a break without getting screamed at / fired wasn't very helpful for my imagination (I don't think it ever really recovered, actually.) Not a fun summer, anyway. Your mileage may of course vary.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Random thought: Plank Length = Reality's Pixel

PeriapsisPrograde

Wannabe addon dev
Reaction score
Interesting troll math I found: constant of integration = 1.

antiderivative of Cdx = Cx+C = C(x+1)

However, C is technically a constant, so we can bring it outside the integral.

C*antiderivative of dx = C*(x+C)

Thus C(x+1) = C(x+C)

Thus C must = 1.

Since my understanding of calculus is only as much as I can learn from the internet, I can't find the error in this proof.

Also, excuse my lack of math tags. I cant get it to work with integrals.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting troll math I found: constant of integration = 1.

antiderivative of Cdx = Cx+C = C(x+1)

However, C is technically a constant, so we can bring it outside the integral.

C*antiderivative of dx = C*(x+C)

Thus C(x+1) = C(x+C)

Thus C must = 1.

Since my understanding of calculus is only as much as I can learn from the internet, I can't find the error in this proof.

Also, excuse my lack of math tags. I cant get it to work with integrals.

:ahem: the constant of integration in that step is arbitrary - you don't know what its value is without more information (e.g. the value of your anti-derivative at x=0). Usually I would write it as: antiderivative of Cdx = Cx+C'

:tiphat:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Random thought: Plank Length = Reality's Pixel

The plank length is the shortest possible length, but I'm not sure that longer lengths have to be multiples of the plank length.

Also, I'd think that if reality were pixelated, we'd observe something like [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chebyshev_distance"]Chebyshev[/ame] or [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_distance"]Manhattan[/ame] geometry rather than having distances determined by the Pythagorean formula.

MattBaker

Reaction score
HELP!
Which one is more important? ISS spacewalk or FC United of Manchester playoff if won they are promoted.
Next time they should leak their tanks during off season...

Alfastar

&#1076;&#1072;
Reaction score
HELP!
Which one is more important? ISS spacewalk or FC United of Manchester playoff if won they are promoted.
Next time they should leak their tanks during off season...

Well, lets say that a football match duration is max 140 minutes. I think the EVA duration is more then 3 hours, so yea. Theoretical you can watch both. Make you own choice is my advise :)

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The plank length is the shortest possible length, but I'm not sure that longer lengths have to be multiples of the plank length.

Also, I'd think that if reality were pixelated, we'd observe something like Chebyshev or Manhattan geometry rather than having distances determined by the Pythagorean formula.

* I'm not physicist and my quantum mechanics knowledge is limited.

My comparison to pixel is surelly flawed as on planck scale reality doesn't behave according to "common sense".

The Planck length is thought to be a fundamental unit of length below which length or distance has no meaning.

Actual Planck's lenght (1.6 e-35 m) is 20! orders of magniutude smaller than size of a proton.

As for today we're nowhere near achieving that scale with anything more than theoretical calculations. I think the same way as quantum mechanical effects smooths out when we're going from micro to normal scale, the same way actual spacetime smooths out and as postulated in few theories it has discrete structure on this scale.

I think that on those levels we could observe Chebyshev or Manhattan geometry (or some similar in principle forms of geometry) however going into bigger scale effect is smoothed out beyond our ability to measure. Just like on bitmap image if you look from enough distance pixels smooth out into seamless image.

Logical step for me would be to assume that if it's smallest possible distance, I cannot imagine let's say 4.53 lp as it would incorporate fraction of it however logic aplied to quantum world can give bizzare results :p

It's an interesting topic and I'll dig deeper into this.

Last edited: