Humor Random Comments Thread

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Does anybody know a capable free software for creating tree diagrams (via UI, not from data). All I can find are mindmapping programs, and while they lend themselves very well to branching out, it seems impossible to branch together again afterwards...

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Richard Feynman said:
Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical result, but it's not the reason why we do it.

Happy birthday Richard Feynman

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I got my 688(i) to work on Win 7 64 after some tinkering. Sound was an issue though.

I think Dangerous Waters is already a more than good replacement... It only lacks one or two German submarines. :lol:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Happy birthday Richard Feynman
I have to disagree with Feynman on that quote...many couples have sex because they are trying to have children...although they certainly don't have any problem with the pleasure aspect of it;)

And the practical result of understanding physics is that we are better able to harness and control our environment. But there are plenty of geeks like me, who like understanding physics just for it's own sake.

Athena

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen
Reaction score
2 days for the past 2 days:

1. My allergy from chicken is now sort of gone. :woohoo:
2. My computer's power supply popped and it took me 2 days to fix it. :facepalm:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
http://xkcd.com/1211/

birds_and_dinosaurs.png

;)

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
"Look at them, changing direction as if to avoid a predator. Just like a flock of birds."

"Uh...they're...uh....flocking this way...."

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
"Look at them, changing direction as if to avoid a predator. Just like a flock of birds."

"Uh...they're...uh....flocking this way...."

Shouldn't we, considering modern research, change this term into "just like a flock of dinosaurs?"

Linguofreak

Reaction score

MattBaker

Reaction score
Wait, if we would see the supernova of Betelgeuse in tomorrow's sky it actually exploded before Copernicus, Kepler and Newton were even born and while England and France fought the longest series of conflicts in known history?

So we're actually not searching for exoplanets, but for exoplanets that were at this place a few decades or centuries ago.
Given that mankind advanced from hunters and gatherers to guys sitting infront of machines and typing texts about spaceflight and astronomy into these machines while the texts get sent around the globe in less than a second it seems more and more unlikely to me that there will be aliens, who might have been hunters and gatherers a few millennia back, interested into this specific section of space in exactly this century.

I just destroyed any sci-fi stories for me in less than 15 minutes...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just destroyed any sci-fi stories for me in less than 15 minutes...

Arthur C. Clarke already formulated these thoughts some time ago in his "angels or apes"-hypothesis (so called because he said that if we'd ever meet aliens, they'd be so far advanced to seem like angels, or so far behind to still be in the "ape-stage" (or whatever their equivalent of a proto-human) of evolution).
It didn't stop him from writing Science fiction stories, though...

It's mostly a problem for space opera of course, but they're finding ways around it. Mass Effect for example turned its solution of the problem right into the main plot. A very conventional approach is also a "seeding race" that created the following races within a close timeframe. That at least gives you a common point to start evolution, and many SF shows (e.g. Star Trek) use it as an excuse to have all bipedal mammalian aliens with rubber foreheads that don't need expensive CGI and extends the range of potential romantic couplings...

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
If a tree falls on a Moon and no one is standing on the ground to hear it, does it make a sound?