Humor Random Comments Thread

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
So that's where James Cameron got that whole plug-in-and-play idea for those Na'vi people... :hmm:

lol, i wasnt aware the pilots shared THAT deep of a 'connection' with the aircraft:lol:

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Dangerous Waters, a classic for hardcore simmers. :)

And yes, the Seawolf is the top of the underwater foodchain. Its flank speed is enough to outrun most torpedoes, and its sensors/electronics are the top of the shelf. The limitation with US subs is that their only torpedo is the Mark 48 ADCAP. While it is a potent weapon, it has its limits.

But the Akula-II can carry the infamous 65 cm torpedo, which isn't (in theory) used in the russian navy anymore since the Kursk wreck (the fuel of the torpedo is very dangerous). That abomination has no equivalent in the western arsenal. I don't use it in the game, that's almost cheating, the thing can run 30 or 40 kilometers ! I've read they even designed (built ?) a nuclear version of the torpedo. :shifty:

Damn my luck, its not free

TO STEAM!!!!! *gallops off*

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

does the game have decoy torpedoes?

Sonar operator: FISH IN THE WATER FISH IN THE WATER!!!
Conn: Well no :censored:, we're in an ocean idiot. *boom*

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Damn my luck, its not free

It's not new, so you can certainly get it for less than 10$ or buy a second-hand game at even less.

Pretty sure you can find that easily in the US or buy it online on the Net.

Of course it features torpedo decoys, though their correct use requires some training. ;)

Even a modern well-powered submarine like the Seawolf weights its 10,000 tons, so the manoeuvrability is... well, what it is :p

Amongst other cool things it features navigation under icepack, icebergs, thermal layers, sonar efficiency depending of the area where you are (hot/cold waters)...

You can pilot a variety of vehicles :

USA

- Los Angeles (workhorse of the US subs fleet, nuclear with 16 missle silos) ;
- Seawolf (nuclear, pure hunter/killer, fastest sub of the game) ;
- O. Perry Hazard Frigate (surface missle frigate with an impressive arsenal (radar 20 mm PHALANX, 75 mm rapid fire radar-guided naval gun, AA missles, Harpoons, Torpedoes, Hangars for up to 2 UH-60 helicopters that can be deployed, very challenging to keep track of everything !) ;
- UH-60 (can dip a sonar, drop sono buoys, carry a few torpedoes, works very well in cooperation with the above Frigate).
- C-130 (can carry a variety of air-surface/anti-sub weapons, Magnetic Anomaly Detector, large stock of sonobuoys, and as a plane by far the fastest playable vehicle of the game).

Russian Federation

- Akula-I (hunter/killer, impressive weaponery, in particular the 65 cm torpedo, the SS-16 anti-sub 3 stages torpedo/missle/torpedo, the SHKVAL).
- Akula-I improved (better sensors).
- Akula-II (further enhancements in stealth, speed, sensors, has 14 torpedo tubes, 8 internal, 6 external (cannot be reloaded)).
- Kilo (diesel/electric small sub, nearly undetectable when moving slowly on electric engines, can set very effective ambushes, while overclassed in speed, sensors and weapons by the nuclear subs).
- Kilo improved (the same, mostly with better electronics and even better stealth abilities).

The Kilo subs can be played as Peoples Republic of China, too.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
- C-130 (can carry a variety of air-surface/anti-sub weapons, Magnetic Anomaly Detector, large stock of sonobuoys, and as a plane by far the fastest playable vehicle of the game).

It is a P-3 Orion, no C-130.

And yes, you have decoys there. But they are not omnipotent. If you drop your decoys too soon or while floating in the wrong direction, they are absolutely useless. Also a decoy against passive torpedoes does not work against active torpedoes.

I love that game, sadly have not much time now to play it, I really fail at it when I play it now on the weekend. I was once able to really sneak into the Japanese harbor, now I get caught with dropped pants.

EDIT: And Hurray, a weekend without a car. From 8:00 to 18:15, the car was in the workshop, for some many repairs and the regular checks, and right at the end of the day, the starter failed permanently. Will now take until Monday noon until I get my car back.

Last edited:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
well, since the only operable laptop is a school/orbiter only delegated. ill wait until i get my new one to go troll best buy

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
well, since the only operable laptop is a school/orbiter only delegated. ill wait until i get my new one to go troll best buy

You don't need a good laptop for it, my PC here is pretty antique, but still runs the game pretty smooth (except in some mod scenarios, in which you leave Norfolk)

captjdk

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
A little of both sometimes. Often times pilots would forget to plug the Aircraft pigtail into their helmets. Said pigtail would allow them to do things like, oh I don't know, use the radio and intercom? I lost count of how many times I had to say "Uh sir, for it to work you've got to plug that thing in".

I remember once in a T-38 I forgot to plug in my g-suit. Got to the practice area and the first simple 4G pull... almost blacked out...doh.

Now for the mx guys...once taxing into parking at McChord AFB, met by some mx folks. Without even talking to me the went and opened a cowling on the engine. Nestled between some fuel and hydraulic lines was a wrench (spanner for my friends on the other side of the pond). The mechanic neglected to account for it before signing off the airplane.

Then there was this time....

Dave K

--------------------------
:hailprobe:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Been modding Minecraft. Had to change SOO many files just to add a more powerful version of TNT. And it still doesn't show up properly. At least it explodes. Although I may have kind of accidently on purpose leveled an entire mountain...:uhh:

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
dre0552l.jpg