Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Jules Bianchi died last night, the first death in the Formula One sport since Senna 1994. He lost control over his can in Suzuka, Japan, nine months ago and sustained severe brain damage when crashing with his car into a tow truck, which was on the track for salvaging the car of Adrian Sutil.

Suzuka is one of the most risky locations in the formula one, because of the older track design (for example, there is no always enough space around the track to let a tow truck operate from outside the track) and the stupid idea to do the Grand Prix during the typhoon season.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
On the (positive) random note, here is the first sketch of a space elevator in the Spaceway sim:
And no, that's no longer something i can port to Orbiter...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
On the (positive) random note, here is the first sketch of a space elevator in the Spaceway sim:
Spaceway Space Elevator first demo - YouTube
And no, that's no longer something i can port to Orbiter...

Speaking of colossal engineering projects, can Spaceway do atmospheres and terrain on non-spherical objects? That is to say, could a Ringworld be implemented in Spaceway?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Speaking of colossal engineering projects, can Spaceway do atmospheres and terrain on non-spherical objects? That is to say, could a Ringworld be implemented in Spaceway?
I tried, once upon a time. Can't quite remember what the problem was, but something to do with LOD being overwhelmed by the scale of the terrain.

Probably should try again now.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I tried, once upon a time. Can't quite remember what the problem was, but something to do with LOD being overwhelmed by the scale of the terrain.

Probably should try again now.

Another interesting nonspherical case with potential for gorgeous scenery, perhaps more manageable computationally, is that of a contact binary planet.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm planning on building a PC for the first time next year. It's supposed to be a ~$500 machine optimized for KSP, which is why I've got the i3 processor with the fastest clock speed.

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Hm, is that even possible?
Shouldn't they be torn to shreds by the gravity?

For approximately equal mass and density, no. If one planet fills its Roche lobe before the other, it will lose mass through the L1 point until it either shrinks to within its Roche lobe, disintegrates completely, or provides enough material that the other planet grows to fill its Roche lobe. In the final case, the two planets will take a three dimensional figure eight shape .

Contact binaries are already known to exist in the case of stars and asteroids. The one problem with regards to contact binary planets is whether they would be stable over long periods. Asteroids are small enough that a contact binary can be formed by mechanical forces in a collision. Stars, as far as I know, mostly form contact binaries when the primary starts to evolve off the main sequence. For planets, I'd think the most likely formation mechanism would be a double planet losing angular momentum to a moon by tidal acceleration, but unless the moon was ejected entirely, that process would continue until the two planets merged completely.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
For approximately equal mass and density, no. If one planet fills its Roche lobe before the other, it will lose mass through the L1 point until it either shrinks to within its Roche lobe, disintegrates completely, or provides enough material that the other planet grows to fill its Roche lobe. In the final case, the two planets will take a three dimensional figure eight shape .

Contact binaries are already known to exist in the case of stars and asteroids. The one problem with regards to contact binary planets is whether they would be stable over long periods. Asteroids are small enough that a contact binary can be formed by mechanical forces in a collision. Stars, as far as I know, mostly form contact binaries when the primary starts to evolve off the main sequence. For planets, I'd think the most likely formation mechanism would be a double planet losing angular momentum to a moon by tidal acceleration, but unless the moon was ejected entirely, that process would continue until the two planets merged completely.

If you can find a copy of it, Robert L. Forward's "Flight of the Dragonfly" and the following books has a system with a almost-conjoined planet. (they don't touch, but they share atmospheres) It's got some orbital data in an appendix at the back that helps explain how a system like that would work.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
If you can find a copy of it, Robert L. Forward's "Flight of the Dragonfly" and the following books has a system with a almost-conjoined planet. (they don't touch, but they share atmospheres) It's got some orbital data in an appendix at the back that helps explain how a system like that would work.

I read it, under the title "Rocheworld", in middle school.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
So I spent yesterday migrating from Kubuntu 12.04 LTS to OpenSUSE 13.2. And I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised...indeed, shocked and delighted:)

All the pernicious problems of 12.1 are gone. Everything is as easy to install as it was under the Debian package system, and it looks...well
picture.php

It's been a secret dream for of mine for a couple of years to have a solid, good-looking, good-performing OpenSUSE box:)

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Athena

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen
Reaction score
I have been wondering that how come the morph of some of the most hated and feared machines for the Americans into a card game with cute girls all around didn't spark any outrage..... :rofl: (*)

They're too cute for that to happen...I even find the Re-class aviation battleship quite attractive, despite her usually :censored: me off when i'm sorting on the map that has her.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Goodness me someone plays Kancolle here! :blink:

I have been wondering that how come the morph of some of the most hated and feared machines for the Americans into a card game with cute girls all around didn't spark any outrage..... :rofl: (*)

(*) Probably best to move to the dungeon if people want to expand on that.

I don't actually play Kancolle--I just like the girls:stirpot:
And I think it helps that they are fighting against aliens rather than Americans;)

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu