Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I appreciate your enthusiasm for The Probe, but I think KnowYourMeme is for widespread internet memes.

Yes, they are only for in-jokes of 4chan and people who find them funny because they don't understand them and fear to be considered stupid if they don't ROFLOL because of it.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
cBNXBXG.jpg

Freedom's big, yo.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Some future archeologist is going to be very confused:

booooooom_simpsons_01.jpg

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
A cloudy day in my city.
91izoqfiibt895n6g.jpg

:huh:
--------------------------------------------Was it necessary to use these colors?----------------

Well, finally the clouds went away and left this beautiful sunset.
k19ck3gf85ok63k6g.jpg

v2f75j5k04qif536g.jpg

zvi4hosakrgxwlh6g.jpg

And of course, the beautiful colors in the flowers of the lantana (Lantana camara sanguinea).
unne6xh3laihb236g.jpg

j37w144ll5eb1pc6g.jpg

Last edited:

MattBaker

Reaction score
Don't name the characters in Oregon Trail after friends and family, after the 5th :censored:ing snakebite you'll have an irrational hatred everytime you meet them without it being their fault.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The same goes for X-com soldiers, although you can't say that the hatred against the aliens is irrational :p

On another note, some here might have realised that I'm currently looking for an internship as a software developer. My father in law recommended (among many other things, of course) to set up a Xing profile to increase the odds of getting noticed. Apparently, the odds get better the more contacts you have, but being somewhat of a digital recluse that proofs to be a difficult task for me. This board is really the only place in the net where I can consider myself a resident.
So, if any of you guys happen to be on Xing, it would be great if you could send me a contact request. I'm registered as Benedict Häfeli. There's no picture yet, but I seem to be the only one with that illustrious name, so you should find me rather easily. If still in doubt, I'm the one looking for an internship in software development that spent the last 10 years in development aid ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Any travel restrictions? ;)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
urm... after some googling I figure it's got something to do with Leisure Suit lLarry, which is literally decades ago since I played it, and I can't really figure out what it has to do with travel restrictions... or your Boss, for that matter :shifty:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
urm... after some googling I figure it's got something to do with Leisure Suit lLarry, which is literally decades ago since I played it, and I can't really figure out what it has to do with travel restrictions... or your Boss, for that matter :shifty:

Well, here, the standard process of getting an internship is simply asking the boss (Rule of thumb: "You only negotiate with the chieftain"). Don't wait for somebody noticing you - tell them that you noticed them. If they expect some paperwork from you and insist on a proper job interview, they will tell you then. But my experience is, that interviews for internships are often done ad-hoc: You come, you raise interest, if time permits you directly talk a bit more, otherwise you simply exchange contact data and agree on a date for a proper interview in a few days.

Xing is a nice toy there, but more important than Xing is the good old classic, "Your employee XYZ recommended you." (That's why I joked with the "Ken Sent Me" reference.)

Yes, I know that German professional communication customs are not universal at all and that in other countries, patiently waiting for the Powers That Be to react is expected. I can't really understand it.

Xing seems to be very popular among young know-it-all human resource managers, who prefer to work with computer profiles and not with human resources, and who lurk in big companies where their incompetence is causing the least damage.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The same goes for X-com soldiers, although you can't say that the hatred against the aliens is irrational :p

On another note, some here might have realised that I'm currently looking for an internship as a software developer. My father in law recommended (among many other things, of course) to set up a Xing profile to increase the odds of getting noticed. Apparently, the odds get better the more contacts you have, but being somewhat of a digital recluse that proofs to be a difficult task for me. This board is really the only place in the net where I can consider myself a resident.
So, if any of you guys happen to be on Xing, it would be great if you could send me a contact request. I'm registered as Benedict Häfeli. There's no picture yet, but I seem to be the only one with that illustrious name, so you should find me rather easily. If still in doubt, I'm the one looking for an internship in software development that spent the last 10 years in development aid ;)

I'm not on Xing, but I am on LinkedIn if you're able to/interested in setting up a profile there as well. If travel is not a factor, I can discuss with my boss and recommend you for the late-summer time-frame here at our US headquarters, or for one of our overseas operations (we have a plant in Poznan, Poland, as well as in China and Thailand, and a new one that just broke ground in Romania).

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Don't wait for somebody noticing you - tell them that you noticed them.

Oh, I'm doing that, don't worry. I was just recommended to persue all possible avenues. I don't really expect anything to come out of that Xing profile, I have it on the off-chance that anything might come out of it. I'm certainly not just sitting there and waiting for companies to call me :lol:

If travel is not a factor, I can discuss with my boss and recommend you for the late-summer time-frame here at our US headquarters

Thanks a lot, but travel is a factor. I have a family, and I'll be in school in parallel to the internship. The post here was not so much about finding an internship as it was to see if I can get a few Xing contacts together. But thanks anyways! :cheers:

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

Ah, now I understand what Urwumpe meant with travel restrictions. When I read it, I thought he was asking whether I had incured any legal travel restrictions during my old job! :lol: (which, yes, can easily happen in that line of work, but not in my case).

So yes, in terms of the internship, I am quite severly restricted in travel.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thanks a lot, but travel is a factor. I have a family, and I'll be in school in parallel to the internship. The post here was not so much about finding an internship as it was to see if I can get a few Xing contacts together. But thanks anyways! :cheers:

Just specify a region... we also have a very successful subsidy in the Czech Republic, which is currently craving for software developers.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, Switzerland, around the cities of Zurich, Lucerne or Aarau... that's about the largest radius I can bear.

That's pretty regional (the time from Zurich to Aarau is the same time I travel to work every morning) ... but there should be enough companies around to ask, at least in Zurich.