Humor Random Comments Thread

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I wonder: which Orbinauts have met each other IRL?
Aside from the obvious ones who live together or are related of course...

I've been kicking around this pipe-dream of an Iron Hill A-Crew reunion--but I don't have the money right now to fly out of the country, and I'm not sure I'd do so great anyway:(

I see Nazban quite frequently, he is studying physics and astronomy at Waterloo.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I think Codz was out in my neck of the woods recently, but I don't think I ran into him >_>

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's supposed to hit 0 degF or lower tonight in my area.

This morning I saw at least two houses in my neighborhood with plumbers' trucks parked out front; I am making a strong effort not to join them tomorrow.

Water is dripping and heater turned up. An increase in water bill and electric bill beats a trip from the dreaded plumber, or even worse, the insurance adjuster. I had a frozen pipe break and ruin my basement a few years ago so I'm hyperaware of it all now.

Aside from worrying about my plumbing, though, I actually love cold weather and enjoy brief spells of extreme cold. I'm going to go by the Potomac River tomorrow after work and see how frozen-over the surface is. After this last week of sub-30F temps it should be nice and crusty.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
It's supposed to hit 0 degF or lower tonight in my area.

This morning I saw at least two houses in my neighborhood with plumbers' trucks parked out front; I am making a strong effort not to join them tomorrow.

Water is dripping and heater turned up. An increase in water bill and electric bill beats a trip from the dreaded plumber, or even worse, the insurance adjuster. I had a frozen pipe break and ruin my basement a few years ago so I'm hyperaware of it all now.

Aside from worrying about my plumbing, though, I actually love cold weather and enjoy brief spells of extreme cold. I'm going to go by the Potomac River tomorrow after work and see how frozen-over the surface is. After this last week of sub-30F temps it should be nice and crusty.

Or you could, y'know, INSULATE YOUR PIPES. :lol:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Or you could, y'know, INSULATE YOUR PIPES. :lol:

Yeah, you think it's funny. And that easy, too.

But the fact is when you buy a house you don't really know what's behind that drywall until the day comes when you tear it out. That happens when you either remodel or when your pipe breaks, whichever comes first. Guess which came first.

I've sinced fixed the problem as best I could. But I will never forget that awful day, and am appropriately paranoid.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Yeah, you think it's funny. And that easy, too.

But the fact is when you buy a house you don't really know what's behind that drywall until the day comes when you tear it out. That happens when you either remodel or when your pipe breaks, whichever comes first. Guess which came first.

I've sinced fixed the problem as best I could. But I will never forget that awful day, and am appropriately paranoid.

Wait a sec... The pipes froze IN THE WALLS?

Who are you, Dr. Freeze? :blink:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Mom's house had pipes in the walls, but walls were not insulated. Poor construction and lazy contractors. It happens.

What few pipes I have exposed are either well insulated or heat traced.

The temp when I left work yesterday morning was 9 (f), it's supposed to get worse tomorrow.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Wait a sec... The pipes froze IN THE WALLS?

Who are you, Dr. Freeze? :blink:

I've heard of it happening, not often, but it happens in walls that are terribly insulated. We had a pipe break here when it snowed for all of one day, thankfully it was outside, and it was quick 20 minute fix. I dread the day it happens in one of the walls here.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I've heard of it happening, not often, but it happens in walls that are terribly insulated. We had a pipe break here when it snowed for all of one day, thankfully it was outside, and it was quick 20 minute fix. I dread the day it happens in one of the walls here.

I thought you lived in SoCal?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Plus or minus 30? We've hit the latter a few times recently, thanks to strong winds. Between that and the seven feet of snow that's fallen (with more coming soon), I'm tempted to lock myself in until June. What a wicked Winter it's been.

A shout-out to Google for converting all these Imperial values for me.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For a first ever HLSL shader, I think i did alright.

c2387a71a062f4943d459334c4b67467.png

2352556c8133728cfba441f93d09ca71.png

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
My car just got the first irregular maintenance after seeing the EPC caution light for the first time... after 4200 km, a sensor in the variable valve timing system delivered strange readings to the engine power control.

Rockets are much less complex than such a typical modern consumer car....

Speaking of which, here is the culprit of the erratic warning message in our car a couple of weeks ago:
IeOOGbQ.jpg

It's some kind of valve. On the box it's described as "valve assembly", and somehow it belongs to the turbocharging system, but isn't the wastegate (I think). It's completely passive, i.e. no electrical input. I have no idea what it does, other than that the error messages are gone and so is the strange "squeaking" sound heard on throttle release after having the turbine spin up. Inputs are welcome.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
On the box it's described as "valve assembly", and somehow it belongs to the turbocharging system, but isn't the wastegate (I think).

Possible a pressure-switching valve for a variable geometry turbocharger. Does it sit between turbocharger and intermediate cooler?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I don't know. When I have time I'll look more under the hood to find where it came from (dealership performed the repair under warranty).

I was under the impression that variable geometry turbochargers were never used on gasoline engines (with the exception of the Porsche 997 Turbo, curiously) due to high(er) exhaust temps.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I was under the impression that variable geometry turbochargers were never used on gasoline engines (with the exception of the Porsche 997 Turbo, curiously) due to high(er) exhaust temps.

I am not sure, but since it is purely pneumatically controlled, and does not look like it is operating on exhaust, I would have expected that it regulates the turbocharger inlet flow.

What exact car and engine are you driving? I know you already wrote it, but I have forgotten it. :facepalm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Focus Mk3 with a 1.0L three-cylinder gasoline engine :)
The Urwumpe's memory isn't infallible.

Damn, I even thought it was a Focus with a 1.0L engine. But I wasn't sure anymore... Much more fallible than my memory is my self-esteem. :facepalm: