Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Would you prefer watching the paint dry, or watching the Earth spin?

...the sky slowly turns, the tree ahead being like a crosshair, as the spaceship Earth makes it's slow roll. The Moon hides behind one branch, reappears behind the other, slowly going to one side...

I think i've accidentally found a "time to 10x" button while not-quite-falling asleep on the balcony and staring at the Moon.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_a_Jarvis_Moon"]This movie is not about the five RS-25E (block II)/two F-1M (block I) engines of the Jarvis-M.[/ame]

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
37°C here today (98.6°F, 310°K). And about the same tomorrow. Portable (21 kg) air conditioning/dehumidifier unit helps a little bit but is hitting its operational limits.

Athena

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen
Reaction score
Magnificent day today...despite all the mishaps and crappy conditions that we have to endure while waiting for something. >.>

Had to wake up at 6AM since our school is holding a "Best Restaurant in the School" event, judging was today so the previous 2 days were mostly preparations, worst part was during Wednesday afternoon, we had to cover the classroom (except the ceiling) with "Manila" paper, it was giving off this foul odor that we really didn't want.

On Thrusday, the classroom is almost done, decorations had to be put up and some people were bringing tables, glassware and chairs, we had to move the heavy armchairs outside the room as there would be no space for the tables, then our adviser told us to "bring all the chairs down the 1st level", as it was making it hard for the people from the other section (just next to our room) to get to theirs because it was blocking their path. :facepalm:

Meanwhile, one guy from our class got hit by a hammer at his foot mainly because for fun (he was sort of retarded) and we were all laughing our asses off while he swears at the guy who did it in front of our teacher. :rofl:

Then, i had to get ready today, went to the school at around 7:50AM while nearly crashing into a tree while on my way (thanks to the not-so-safe bumpy roads. :dry: Afterwards everyone that were going to be waiters/waitresses was going to get dressed up while we wait for the judges to arrive, we waited from 8AM to around 11AM where we found out that judging had just begun and we were the last to be visited by the judges. :facepalm: (grade 6 was the first to be visited).

Boys were told to stay out of the room because we would be "creating trouble", it was so hot outside it's like we were in a squaters area, we had to wait for 2 more hours until finally some of us got impatient, tired and dehydrated that we just had to go home as we were told to "look out if the judges are coming". The "superpowers" were in the class just cool and chillin' while we "outcasts" just watch out if the judges are coming. :dry:

But despite all these misfortunes, the day was still pretty good... we were all swearing at this fat kid because he was forcing us out of our room like he's the boss of some sort, it was so hot while we were waiting that while we were making preparations for dessert, we rubbed ice on our faces and bodies to keep us cool. :p

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just started watching Attack on Titan. Not bad, I guess, though not what I expected. First thought was "Hm, the main character's name is Jaeger... reminds me of something else I watched recently..."

a30f19782728226ccb2624b3b78f2d4e6484f209.png

Apparently I'm not the ony one who thinks so. :lol:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
We had a bad batch of thunderstorms hit at 5:30am here in Florida yesterday morning, and I had a strike hit my house. It was so powerful that it fried everything in my room plugged into a wall, including the surge protector. So I've lost my computer and modem (just got the latter replaced) and we've ordered a new computer.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
+34*C here on the coast of Montenegro.
There is no AC in the buses, so they drive with doors open.
Even the sea is warm...

A thunderstorm is long overdue with such heat.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
We had a bad batch of thunderstorms hit at 5:30am here in Florida yesterday morning, and I had a strike hit my house. It was so powerful that it fried everything in my room plugged into a wall, including the surge protector. So I've lost my computer and modem (just got the latter replaced) and we've ordered a new computer.
Aw dude that sucks. So sorry. I know it thunder stormed up in in Oklahoma, but fortunately nothing bad happened.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hexagons are my favorite kind of polygon. Here's why. It's also got an even number of sides that is not too much or too little, imho.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
@ Izack: Yup. Good movie.

As for you folks complaining about heat: I work outside in 100*F weather all the time. You get used to it.

Then again, Home Depot's Central California district (Dist. 172) DID sell every single portable air conditioner... TWICE. In the last month. But that's when we had temps reaching, oh, 108 or 109*F. :cool:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Received my district heating and electricity bill for this year, luckily only 80 Euro to pay extra, but the monthly payment increases by 7.5%. The electricity costs increased by almost 3 cent per kWh, thanks to the German industry refusing to pay their electricity bills.

Almost all big consumers have applied for exception from the renewable energy act taxes. Whoever designed this law, he can pay the 24 € extra for me this year - and for all other German citizens, who do their best to save energy and then get punished because the big consumers simply don't pay their share.

Good news: Despite now having a TV + BR and paying for the full 12 months, I consumed 150 kWh less this year as estimated.

Good news II: Saved 110 € for heating this year, despite a hard winter.

Now... planned to pay 250 Euro more this year... what do I do with the extra money this month?

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

The announced strong thunderstorm of today has passed... and it left some presents:

picture.php

Rotating wall cloud approaching

picture.php

During the storm

And what it left behind:

picture.php

picture.php

The most fascinating aspects of it: The shape of the hail and the fact that my car seems to be undamaged.

MattBaker

Reaction score
The most fascinating aspects of it: The shape of the hail and the fact that my car seems to be undamaged.

Fun fact: Window glass is harder than the slats of roller shutters.

Although you probably don't care about the second one as much as you do about your windows.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Fun fact: Window glass is harder than the slats of roller shutters.

Although you probably don't care about the second one as much as you do about your windows.

Don't have roller shutters, my parents have those, but we learned to pull them up ASAP after a much weaker hail damaged one set.

My car has only small dents in the metal, nothing easily visible and nothing serious on a 13 year old car. The cars next to it look far worse, there are even some large dents in the metal, especially a newer car received some hammering.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
WOW! Looks like I was lucky... spent the day at the Heinz Nixdorf MuseumsForum, it just was a bit cloudy (cool, they had a computer of the Gemini spacecraft, and a three screen FSX setup with Thrustmaster Warthog)

Bielefeld, close to the route I took, even made it into the Tagesschau with some fallen trees. It looks like the hail here at home was as big as last time

Thanks for the info about the roller shutters, have to talk to my parents about it, we usually lower them.

MattBaker

Reaction score
I want both of it :(

I think your smartphone is superior to a Gemini computer.:lol:

On another topic: Two companies who had nearly same sale numbers in the 7th generation develop their 8th generation of video game consoles. One is 499$, the other one is 399$ (Thanks asshats for making that 499€/399€, someone visited Capitalism 101). Which console has to have superior perfomance so the sales are equal again? Then fact-check which console is actually the better one and ask yourself why people still buy the other one.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes, but it is no Gemini computer... a hardware emulation would be cool for it... though you could likely fit it today on a single FPGA.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Then fact-check which console is actually the better one and ask yourself why people still buy the other one.

Because they're exhibitionists and get a turn-on by knowing that microsoft is watching their every move?

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I think I will stick to my PC. I mean, these consoles are JUST hitting 60fps now as a standard. :rofl: