Humor Random Comments Thread

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Could it be? :lol:

Edit: Just to clarify, look at "our newest orbinaut" ;)

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah. Against all odds, data loss, 3 burned HDDs, some major and minor bugs, hours of flight tests all that is left to do are 3 sections of manual.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Some german news website that ridicules itself by writing hourly about some foreign royalty who matter a lot for Germany: "healthy baby born"

How healthy can one be if your ancestors have inbred for centuries?

Although I was for putting the Queen, Charles and William in one Boeing 787 before the birth so they'd have an accident and Harry becomes king.
Because then there'd be a good chance that monarchy stops.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
This is the program HP has flashing my BIOS...

HTD9502M10000R01424317.png

The comic sans and poorly-sized 90s clipart do not bode well.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
You need to immediately cease all service with HP. That picture vaguely reminds me of Towlie off of SouthPark. Hahaha.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Make sure you have a friend with an EEPROM programmer ready...
And what's wrong with comic sans?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Make sure you have a friend with an EEPROM programmer ready...
And what's wrong with comic sans?

There is nothing wrong with font other than it looks chidish. I'd just don't use it in software like that.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
But it's the only default font that is visibly different than the rest! :(

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
---------- Post added 07-22-13 at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was 07-21-13 at 01:25 PM ----------

Still accepting bets if the forum will merge this two posts or I'll double post...
That's only 12 hours, 10 minutes between those two. The forum merges subsequent posts of the member if there is 24 hours or less between them.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is the program HP has flashing my BIOS...

HTD9502M10000R01424317.png

The comic sans and poorly-sized 90s clipart do not bode well.

Nevermind the fact that the logo screams "I hope you mistake us for Intel and buy our products!" and it looks like a hastily-assembled visual basic program. But hey, looks aren't everything???

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Nevermind the fact that the logo screams "I hope you mistake us for Intel and buy our products!" and it looks like a hastily-assembled visual basic program. But hey, looks aren't everything???

It worked anyhow.
I was actually downgrading BIOS because HP made it completely ambiguous which one you should choose, and seems to have settled on f.27, while I've been using the tragically buggy f.29 for the longest time. Even the one I downgraded too has plenty of complaints, but I got reaaally tired of the hanging caused by f.29.
I also just updated my AMD graphics drivers and it looks like I'll have to undo that. Now every so often, my screen decides to come out of sleep with medium brightness and not be able to change brightness. Also, interestingly, it installed the drivers before/without reboot...I wasn't expecting that... so I got every kind of interesting artifact for at least 45 minutes while browsing and watching YouTube. :p

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
On the other end of the spectrum, there is the amiflash from/for Supermicro.
A DOS program that is supposed to be run from a bootable floppy, to upgrade a BIOS on a server blade that does not even boot DOS properly without enabling all of the obscure compatibility options. And you can't avoid the update, since otherwise the SATA controller would continue to exterminate data on each full moon.

It's a nice, no-nonsense tool, and USB-bootable FreeDOS does the job, but still - what were they thinking?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Funny thing happened recently: a friend's laptop was having problems, and even after a complete wipe of the OS (Windows in this case) it would keep displaying the "installing drivers" windows for a USB drive even after said device was successfully recognised.

Since this problem persisted between complete OS wipes, and having the exact same laptop, I decided to perform an upgrade to the latest BIOS, having performed this procedure two times already on my system (Asus K52Jc, btw).

Well, turns out: if performing a bios upgrade with the built-in utility EZ Flash with the new bios file stored on an NTFS partition, the upgrade might appear to proceed smoothly, while infact mercilessly bricking your motherboard. :dry: