Humor Random Comments Thread

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I hate these tablet-optimized GUIs:mad: Ubuntu's Unity aggravated me, and Gnome 3 was infuriating.
Call me an old-fashioned coot, but I'm a traditionalist when it comes to technology. I don't mind trying new things, but if the current system works, why dramatically alter it? Gnome 2.x was a big part of the reason I fell in love with Linux to start with. Now I'm using KDE, which at least is still suitable for the desktop.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I hate these tablet-optimized GUIs:mad: Ubuntu's Unity aggravated me, and Gnome 3 was infuriating.
Call me an old-fashioned coot, but I'm a traditionalist when it comes to technology. I don't mind trying new things, but if the current system works, why dramatically alter it?

I think the logic is that the conditions that make the current system work won't be around much longer, so GUI designers should design GUI's that will work well under the new conditions.

There are some fairly huge problems with that logic (there are certain things, such as word processing, that don't work well on touch screens, for example), and I personally think that mobile devices will eventually end up dual-interfaced (a touch screen interface for mobility plus the ability to dock to a keyboard/mouse/monitor setup and present a traditional desktop interface).

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
(a touch screen interface for mobility plus the ability to dock to a keyboard/mouse/monitor setup and present a traditional desktop interface).

I'm still hoping for a usable holographic keyboard... :shifty: (flat 2d projection, of course)

Or at least a sheet keyboard that can be folded up and put in your pocket.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Microsoft has a new logo?

Oh right, I saw that:

picture.php

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm still hoping for a usable holographic keyboard... :shifty: (flat 2d projection, of course)

Or at least a sheet keyboard that can be folded up and put in your pocket.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Speaking to The Seattle Times, Microsoft's Jeff Hansen reveals that the new logo is designed to "signal the heritage but also signal the future — a newness and freshness."

I really, really like marketing people, and their knack for spinning malarkey.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
So we're going to blocks now, to switch back to curves in 20 years when blocks have gone out of fashion again :lol:
Well, Minecraft is quite popular now, because it uses blocks. In 20 years someone should create a game that uses spheres, (orbs) or other curves, like there was "Ecstatica" 20 years ago, which used ellipsoids instead of polygons, because curves will be in fashion by that time. :p:lol:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Well, Minecraft is quite popular now, because it uses blocks. In 20 years someone should create a game that uses spheres, (orbs) or other curves, like there was "Ecstatica" 20 years ago, which used ellipsoids instead of polygons, because curves will be in fashion by that time. :p:lol:

I'm not sure what to make of this :p

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Technology advanced a lot from 1900, to the first Moon landing, to today.

I'm excited to see what happens in the future.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That certainly goes into the right direction. I'd like it a bit thinner, more like a sheet than a mattress, and most of all: Why on earth don't people build bluetooth into something like this??

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Okay, I replaced the H-IIA with Miku so Cras doesn't have to worry about me replacing the Shuttle.