Humor Random Comments Thread

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
An idea for a sound-baced game:

A player is put in a randomly generated obstacle course. The screen is completely black, with no visual clues. You 'see' with sound.
The world is represented with synthesizer channels. Each object is represented with a trio of oscillators: sine, square, and sawtooth.

Volume represents distance, pan the orientation. Shape is shown as volumes of the three oscillators: Sawtooth length, square width, and sine height. The lower the sound the greater the dimension. Pitch would be the speed of the object relative to you.

The player still uses WASD and space to move around, because I can't figure out any other way to do it. He would have to find the checkpoints (a loud triangle) and move to the finish, in the continuously generated world. The farther in he goes, the larger the score.

I need to learn to code.
Sounds like the most frustrating game in the world... :lol:

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
Did you really have to nitpick a one-word joke in five paragraphs worth of words?

There simply is no good reason for that joke.

This particular 'joke' refers to a thread in which most of the participants should feel just a bit of shame.

I felt ashamed for the community just reading that thread.

After all, we took a new member, who only wished to contribute to the community, and bludgeoned that person with their misspellings until they left.

Nice example of civility. And yes, it was a silly add-on. But one can find any number of sillier add-ons over at the Hanger.

Hopefully, the treatment he/she received here didn't diminish their interest in science/space too much.

Last edited:

Mattyv

Rocket Scientist in Training
Reaction score

This particular 'joke' refers to a thread in which most of the participants should feel just a bit of shame.

After all, we took a new member, who only wished to contribute to the community, and bludgeoned that person with their misspellings until they left.

Nice example of civility. And yes, it was a silly add-on. But one can find any number of sillier add-ons over at the Hanger.

Hopefully, the treatment he/she received here didn't diminish their interest in science/space too much.

may i ask what this joke is, I'm new.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score

That is true, and yes, it is a bad joke. But on that particular occasion above it was like a needle in a haystack. Sure, I have no problem in people pointing it out if that's all that is said in the post. But the post contained more than the joke itself, hence why it was really pointless to point it out if it contained more than the joke (which was about iamwearingpants' game).

may i ask what this joke is, I'm new.

I wrote an article about it a little while ago here.

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
That is true, and yes, it is a bad joke. But on that particular occasion above it was like a needle in a haystack. Sure, I have no problem in people pointing it out if that's all that is said in the post. But the post contained more than the joke itself, hence why it was really pointless to point it out if it contained more than the joke (which was about iamwearingpants' game).

I do see your point, and I don't mean to derail any interest in iamwearingpants' game. It's just that I can't help but feel that the very use of that joke implies a tacit acceptance of the behavior exhibited in that thread.
And I hope no one feels personally attacked by my general criticism; this was just something I'd wanted to get off my chest since last August.

=====
iamwearingpants: It actually does sound like a potentially interesting game. I wonder, though, if the sine, square, and sawtooth waves are only to be represented audibly, or visually as well? I ask because, while many people are familiar with the sound of these different waveforms...many more are not.

:cheers:

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
iamwearingpants: It actually does sound like a potentially interesting game. I wonder, though, if the sine, square, and sawtooth waves are only to be represented audibly, or visually as well? I ask because, while many people are familiar with the sound of these different waveforms...many more are not.

:cheers:

The three waveforms sound very distinct, so the player should adapt and react to them based on trial and error.
In fact, the whole purpose of the game is to not rely on visual clues for navigation.
Therefore, I probably won't have any visuals, maybe except a replay mode at the end where the entire course is displayed and you are shown moving with the sounds you heard :hmm:

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
It actually sounds like a better concept for, say, a smartphone as opposed to a PC, with it's big, expensive monitor sitting there, blank.

I would think it could also conceivably have medical applications beyond the traditional hearing test.

It really is an interesting idea.:)

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
It actually sounds like a better concept for, say, a smartphone as opposed to a PC, with it's big, expensive monitor sitting there, blank.

I would think it could also conceivably have medical applications beyond the traditional hearing test.

It really is an interesting idea.:)

Thanks! :cheers:

Three problems with playing on a smartphone:

1.) No panning (unless you have headphones and such) which would really make the course difficult.
2.) Creating and simulating infinite course (and it's sound) would take a lot of resources, don't know if a phone could handle it
3.) The rendering of your actions after death may also be too much

So, I need to find an easy to use game engine to support this.
I have basically NO coding ability too, there's a long and bumpy road, haha.
I guess it's all the more reason to start learning ...

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Thanks! :cheers:

Three problems with playing on a smartphone:

1.) No panning (unless you have headphones and such) which would really make the course difficult.
2.) Creating and simulating infinite course (and it's sound) would take a lot of resources, don't know if a phone could handle it
3.) The rendering of your actions after death may also be too much

what about Unity? Or, what about a neon-course, where the walls are different colours and you have to find the end by sound?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Flash? GameMaker?

3D realtime game is NOT a good place to start with programming of any kind, let alone such a novel concept which won't have much prior material to examine. If you must start with a game, go for a Tetris clone or somesuch; something that's been done far too many times to be of any value, but also done so many times that there's a large amount of resources to learn from.

If you want to mess around with an object-oriented language without being very hardcore, you can try what I used at university:
http://www.learningwithrobots.com/

To my chagrin I found the whole textbook is available on the website...the day after the my return policy on the expensive textbook expired. :beathead:

Eclipse and Java in the context of the course's basic library aren't particularly difficult to grasp (as long as you change Eclipse's text editor away from its horrid default colour scheme.)

...Well that post turned out longer than intended. :lol:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

So in conclusion, it was all my fault. :blackeye:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
An idea for a sound-baced game:

A player is put in a randomly generated obstacle course. The screen is completely black, with no visual clues. You 'see' with sound.
The world is represented with synthesizer channels. Each object is represented with a trio of oscillators: sine, square, and sawtooth.

Volume represents distance, pan the orientation. Shape is shown as volumes of the three oscillators: Sawtooth length, square width, and sine height. The lower the sound the greater the dimension. Pitch would be the speed of the object relative to you.

The player still uses WASD and space to move around, because I can't figure out any other way to do it. He would have to find the checkpoints (a loud triangle) and move to the finish, in the continuously generated world. The farther in he goes, the larger the score.

I need to learn to code.

Not exactly your idea, but there is "Be the Wumpus".

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Mattyv

Rocket Scientist in Training
Reaction score
I was snooping around on Google images and i found this::rofl:
LP-Liberty-j-AS16-113-18359HR-800.jpg

I think they're trying to say this is a real NASA proposal :lol: