Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Using some idle time during the weekend chores for learning to use FreeCAD.

If you want to laugh, this is the result of about 1.5 hours of trying to find the best way to get the result that I want, I needed alone 2 failed and erased attempts to produce the carrier rail in the way that it is really made of thick sheet metal.

"We live and learn, or, perhaps more importantly we learn and live."

steph

Reaction score
The Atlantic, "Baie de Bourgneuf", between departments 85 and 44, this evening. Nice fresh breeze, a bit cool to go swimming.

Impossible. Where are the fishing huts??. That whole area with the 'chinese ports' is really something else, compared to the rest of the coast. Almost gives off a feeling as if one were on the mountain, with the constant wind and isolation.

But yeah, the region really seems to be kicking into high gear like before covid and putler, perhaps even more. By this time last year, they were just reopening. But now...it's already the right time to take in the sights in Sables or St. Jean ?. And the usual craziness that comes with it, lost tourists going the wrong way etc?20220508_153013.jpg20220508_164435.jpg

Last edited:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
@Urwumpe I haven't delved to deep into freecad yet. I have about 10 years of experience using Solidworks though, would you say it's comparable?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
@Urwumpe I haven't delved to deep into freecad yet. I have about 10 years of experience using Solidworks though, would you say it's comparable?

Can't tell, I am no CAD expert at all. I only needed to know CAD software like Solid Works good enough for producing test data for PLM systems - so, usually many cubes turned into parts and assemblies.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Impossible. Where are the fishing huts??. That whole area with the 'chinese ports' is really something else, compared to the rest of the coast. Almost gives off a feeling as if one were on the mountain, with the constant wind and isolation.

Actually the first ones are like 600 meters south from the point where I took those pictures. ?

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
I really wonder that almost everyone has an opinion on everything, even without having a clue. And not only that. People feel the need to tell everyone and expect a reaction.

It might be related to aging. But I'm tired to listen to every b******t story on a daily basis at work or somewhere else, from people I don't really know. It's mostly just to say something, even if it's crap. I'm too kind in most cases when I feel different. I'm pretending to listen to, while I think: please god, let this monologue, and in some cases verbal diarrhoea, end soon...

I envy people who just don't react and show that they are not interested in such a conversation.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I envy people who just don't react and show that they are not interested in such a conversation.

Just learn from Andrej Melnyk there, who managed to stay calm while some obscure honorary professor told him in very lengthy words that the Ukrainians have no war experience and thus should die silently....

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I really wonder that almost everyone has an opinion on everything, even without having a clue. And not only that. People feel the need to tell everyone and expect a reaction.

It might be related to aging. But I'm tired to listen to every b******t story on a daily basis at work or somewhere else, from people I don't really know. It's mostly just to say something, even if it's crap. I'm too kind in most cases when I feel different. I'm pretending to listen to, while I think: please god, let this monologue, and in some cases verbal diarrhoea, end soon...

It is a trend, those last 20 years. Psycho-sociologists speak of collective hysteria (I mean the Freudian meaning of that word). That's the dark side of liberal societies : everyone feels "allowed" to say what they think about every topic, even when they don't have a clue. That's why we see more and more people like Donald Trump or Marine Le Pen in politics. It could be seen only as something annoying and harmless, if those people hadn't access to firearms and nuclear weapons... ?‍♂️ In fact this is the real reason why the 21st century is going to be a bit rough. The barriers have been lifted.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It is a trend, those last 20 years. Psycho-sociologists speak of collective hysteria (I mean the Freudian meaning of that word). That's the dark side of liberal societies : everyone feels "allowed" to say what they think about every topic, even when they don't have a clue. That's why we see more and more people like Donald Trump or Marine Le Pen in politics. It could be seen only as something annoying and harmless, if those people hadn't access to firearms and nuclear weapons... ?‍♂️ In fact this is the real reason why the 21st century is going to be a bit rough. The barriers have been lifted.

On the other hand, and that makes me hopeful, some of the younger generation already start to adapt to it and become more competent in handling the information they get.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
On the other hand, and that makes me hopeful, some of the younger generation already start to adapt to it and become more competent in handling the information they get.

Yes, that's the motto of all lifeforms : adaptation or extinction. That struggle never ends.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes, that's the motto of all lifeforms : adaptation or extinction. That struggle never ends.

Makes me wonder, where evolution will lead us, if we go on to become that interconnected...

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
I don’t talk much, as a child I fell off a motorcycle and my nose broke, if I talk for a long time I start to get tired
I need to have surgery to fix my nasal septum?
on the other hand, my girlfriend claims that it adds mystery

steph

Reaction score
Talking a lot can absolutely be a defect, so I don't think you're doing bad.

Btw, speaking of motorbikes, I finally decided to get the A1. Within a few weeks , I hope to be buying something at 125cc, possibly a Honda Shadow, but we'll see. Having to drive again for the first time since 2019 through the traffic jam in Nantes downright triggered me

Then again, as a 30yr old (former) metalhead with no wife or kids, it was the logical choice?. In the long run, I hope to convince my uncle to give me his Jawa (I think it's Jawa, not sure) that's been gathering dust in the basement at my gramps. Supposedly just a clogged carb, but , after all these years, one can't be sure. That thing was huge, sounded amazing and looked like a crossover between Hagrid's bike and a soviet Harley. I won't go any further on this, but I'll just say this. I'm not russian myself, but I usually seem to have a deep fascination for former soviet stuff, even stuff like Ivan Rebroff's songs etc. The current situation puts me in a quite weird spot. I have to sort of mentally remind myself that the two are certainly not the same.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
... the traffic jam in Nantes downright triggered me

I know exactly what you are talking about. Can get really epic, once you have rain (which is very likely most of the year), a couple of accidents, then a couple of cars that broke down because they were overheating in the jam. Also those bridges on the river Loire (Cheviré...) can become deathtraps ?

Now those in Toulouse aren't bad either. People panic when there is heavy rain, they don't know how to drive on a wet road and poor visibility, that's crazy. ?‍♂️

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now those in Toulouse aren't bad either. People panic when there is heavy rain, they don't know how to drive on a wet road and poor visibility, that's crazy. ?‍♂️

The same thing happens, if you have a single snowflake falling somewhere in northern Germany. Suddenly the scene turns from a minor traffic jam into an absurd chaos. Its normal that people try to turn around in a traffic jam. But they fail even basic maneuvers, once the snow effect comes.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It is a trend, those last 20 years.
As far as I can tell, having an oppinion is not a trend that has significantly increased. There's just so much more possibility to blurt it around. What happened almost exclusively at the regular's table in a private setting 20 years ago is now happening in public for everyone to see. We gave everyone a soapbox, and as a result they're all shouting through the market. Can't be helped without other moral issues arising, I'm afraid...

steph

Reaction score
The same thing happens, if you have a single snowflake falling somewhere in northern Germany. Suddenly the scene turns from a minor traffic jam into an absurd chaos. Its normal that people try to turn around in a traffic jam. But they fail even basic maneuvers, once the snow effect comes.
Same goes for coastal areas here?. Snow is a 'once in a few years' event. Even worse, most situations are right at the limit between snow and freezing rain, and that tends to create 'industrial' snow with very sharp boundaries for the actual snow area. I remember last year, within a few hundred meters it went from nothing to snowed in. At the next bend, two cars neatly 'parked' in the ditch. And then I had to make way for a car driving on the middle of the road with the 4-way blinkers on ?.

But at least most drive slow in these situations. The real danger is when there is fog and freezing conditions, since that too can be very localized. Most of the land is plateaus traversed by rivers and some relatively deep valeys. So, you can be driving along just fine and suddenly you hit a wall of fog and, surprise, there's also ice on the road. And all that mostly while descending into a valley with some sharp turns, and there may also be others blocking the road. Not that human stupidity doesn't play a role even then. A while back there was a huge pile-up caused by fog, but the real trigger was someone from a stopped car trying to cross the highway , presumably because there were lights on the other side.

steph

Reaction score
Also those bridges on the river Loire (Cheviré...) can become deathtraps ?

Cheviré is special . I seem to enjoy flying (not off bridges?), but I do have a fear of heights. I remember being stuck way up on the bridge, as there was an accident ahead. Everyone trying to squeeze their cars closer for the ambulances to pass (just saying, if the traffic is blocked anyway, it might make more sense to get there the other way around, maybe on the emergency lane, instead of fighting miles of traffic jam). The other side was mostly clear and free-flowing traffic, while on the blocked side there were even heavy trucks stopped. My mind was going like 'can the structure even handle such imbalance?'. And, worse, I think it was just the wind, but I could literally feel it/the car swaying. Probably one of the few times I came close to full blown panic attack ?

But the rain thing seems to be due to people trusting too much in modern cars' systems. Like, even the latest SUV can't handle a water-filled road at 130 km/h because physics, but people do it anyway. I should know, had it happen once to me as well. First time driving a car without ABS was when trying out my brother's Peugeot 205 which may or may not have been tuned for higher performance, or at least as much 'performance' one can get out of a standard model. Slid right through a roundabout when I tried to brake, I still remember that feeling of 'holy s**t, we won't be able to stop'. Only thing that saved me was the other cars stopping to make way.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
I write these words to thank you friends for your help in my migration to Windows 10, for having cleared all my doubts.
I was finally able to migrate to Windows 10, and it works pretty well, I'd say at the speed of Windows 7, which is pretty decent.
I hope that in this new Windows I can run Blender 3.0 and bring my ships and cars to Orbiter. They are not big things but they are small projects that I always wanted to do.
Thanks friends.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Cheviré is special . I seem to enjoy flying (not off bridges?), but I do have a fear of heights.

I remember I just had my driving license and also discovered one of the earliest version of Orbiter in 2000 or so and each time I took the bridge, it was like "3,2,1, ignition !". ?