Humor Random Comments Thread

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have the first Forza for the original Xbox. I thought it was good, but I've always been a Gran Turismo fan myself. Also playing GT5 on the PS3, definitely the best of the series. But I actually have more fun playing SCGT I think. Same concept, buy a car, buy upgrades/adjustments. A lot like both Forza and GT. Actual real-world driver names makes it a little more immersive (Boris Said, Bill Auberlen, etc.)

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
True, i like gran turismo but, having a 360, i've found forza more accessible and have learned to love it.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I haven't been to the moon in a while. How should I get there this time?

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
R-Warp!!!!
Just kidding, go via DG or XR2 take off from earth, to a Arrow in orbit and do your burns and whatnot, send the DG or XR2 out land it, put down the XPDR and de-orbit the Arrow and land. Then do whatever from there.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
R-Warp!!!!
Just kidding, go via DG or XR2 take off from earth, to a Arrow in orbit and do your burns and whatnot, send the DG or XR2 out land it, put down the XPDR and de-orbit the Arrow and land. Then do whatever from there.
I feel like I've done that too many times. I want to do something more realistic, like a Dragon, Apollo, or Soyuz.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
AMSO then. But can the soyuz alone just go straight up to the moon? i know it was designed for such a purpose, but i don't know if it has the capability at this time. I'm sure there's a way to do it, I'm just thinking it might need some extra stage of some sort.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
AMSO then. But can the soyuz alone just go straight up to the moon? i know it was designed for such a purpose, but i don't know if it has the capability at this time. I'm sure there's a way to do it, I'm just thinking it might need some extra stage of some sort.
There was a thread about this a few months ago. What is done is that a Soyuz is docked to a booster in LEO, then it puts it on a free return trajectory. Changes can be made by adding boosters and equipment.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
yeah, i think i saw that. You can try it, but for the sake of current tech, go with AMSO or the Dragon.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I think I'll fly the Dragon. I also left out the fact that the Soyuz from the ISS v 3.2 burns up when flying back from the moon.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
So now I have a crew vehicle, now I need a booster.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Yessir, thats good to have. Update us on that, maybe send out a few pics on the screen shot thread.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Boosters I could use:
-Intertial Upper Stage
-Block-D
-Centaur

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Well, we've finally reached the point of no return.
The end is here.
It's over now.
A good and faithful Orbiter install is now no more, it's end caused by the callous addon-consuming greed of its owner... :(

Like, who cares?! I've got the latest beta now instead, and LOCAL LIGHT SOURCES WORK!!!!!!!!! :hotcool::woohoo::speakcool::10sign:

BTW, nice new smiley: :2cents:

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I like centaur. It seems like a reliable stage booster.
I did the calculations, it looks like the Centaur with the Dragon will have no problem with Delta-V. Even with the Dragon attached, it provides 7165.18 m/s. I know that's enough even for Earth's escape velocity.

Does anyone know where I can learn how to calculate dv, burn time, and launch date? I like the challenge, and in some ways MFDs like TransX and IMFD are cheating (and somewhat confusing).

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I did the calculations, it looks like the Centaur with the Dragon will have no problem with Delta-V. Even with the Dragon attached, it provides 7165.18 m/s. I know that's enough even for Earth's escape velocity.

Does anyone know where I can learn how to calculate dv, burn time, and launch date? I like the challenge, and in some ways MFDs like TransX and IMFD are cheating (and somewhat confusing).
You can get Dv easily enough with the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsiolkovsky_rocket_equation"]Tsiolkovsky rocket equation[/ame]. Just bear in mind that [math]v_e[/math] is what Orbiter calls [math]I_{sp}[/math].

As for flying missions without Orbiter's tools, you can, but it will be long and frustrating without a team of astrophysicists crunching numbers for you. You might like to try NASSP Project Apollo if you haven't already, as it replicates Apollo's flight computer and navigation equipment.

I wouldn't consider IMFD or TransX cheating in this situation. They magically acquire perfectly reliable instantaneous data, sure, but it helps to bring the arduous aspects of astronavigation under control so the average user can fly missions on his own, without calling NASA for help every step of the way.